Peter Piller (born January 5, 1968 in Fritzlar ) is a contemporary German artist. In addition to his own drawings and photographs, his archive Peter Piller , whose pictures he compiles in thematic series , is characteristic of his artistic work.
Peter Piller lived in Fritzlar, Kassel , Idar-Oberstein and Würzburg . He first studied geography , German language and literature and art education , before enrolling at the Hamburg University of Fine Arts in 1993 for the subject of "Free Art", where he received his diploma in 2000 .
Peter Piller creates photo archives and sorts them according to design elements and content. His archive is based on a collection of around 6000 newspaper photos. In 2002 he received 12,000 images from an aerial photo archive. They were produced by a company in the 1970s to sell at their doorstep to the owners of the residential properties shown. The collections are expanded to include historical postcards , newspaper photos and internet finds. He also goes hiking and takes notes. In 2005 he undertook extensive hikes in the Ruhr area and Hamburg and processed them photographically.
Several thematic compilations arose from the archives. The series of images have short, concise titles such as "Sleeping Houses" or "Shooting Girls". The series were exhibited several times and then published in illustrated books .
He is a member of the jury for the Vonovia Award for Photography .
Peter Piller lives in Hamburg.
In 2005, Peter Piller held a visiting professorship at the Hamburg University of Fine Arts . From 2006 to 2018 he was professor for photography in the field of contemporary art at the University of Graphic Art and Book Art in Leipzig . Since October 2018 he has been leading the class for fine art at the Art Academy Düsseldorf .
Solo exhibitions (selection)
- 2001 newspapers , KX Hamburg
- 2001 Regional lighting , mini / gallery in HundertMeister, Duisburg
- 2003 valid , Bonner Kunstverein , Bonn
- 2004 Advantages of being intentional , Museum of Contemporary Art Siegen
- 2005 Archiev Peter Piller , Witte de With - Center for Contemporary Art, Rotterdam
- 2006 Unresolved cases , Art Fund, Bonn
- 2006 Durability , Frehrking Wiesehöfer, Cologne
- 2006 Arrows , Galeria projectesd, Barcelona
- 2007 Shooting Girls , Ludwig Forum Aachen
- 2007 Archive Peter Piller , Andrew Kreps Gallery, New York
- 2007 Aesthetics and Boredom , Kunsthaus Glarus , Switzerland
- 2007 From the edge of a former capital and from the center of a province , Barbara Wien , Berlin
- 2007 Peter Piller Archive , Salzburg Art Association
- 2008 MO shop window # 08: Peter Piller is damaged , Museum Ostwall in Dortmunder U , Dortmund
- 2015 Document control , Städtische Galerie Nordhorn
- 2017 behind time , Barbara Wien Galerie Berlin
Illustrated books (selection)
- Christoph Keller (Ed.): Significant surfaces (There it is) . Revolver, Frankfurt am Main 2006, ISBN 3865882803 .
- Christoph Keller (Ed.): From earth more beautiful . Revolver, Frankfurt am Main 2004, ISBN 3937577998 .
- Unpleasant neighbors. Archive Peter Piller . Revolver, Frankfurt am Main 2004, ISBN 3937577130 .
- Christoph Keller (Ed.): Touching a car. Archive Peter Piller Volume 8 , Revolver, Frankfurt am Main 2004, ISBN 3936919860 .
- Christoph Keller (Ed.): Searched and sealed. Crime houses, archive Peter Piller Volume 1 . Revolver, Frankfurt am Main 2002, ISBN 3934823432 .
- Peter Piller: takes damage , JRP Ringier, Zurich 2007, ISBN 978-3905829129 .
- Peter Piller: Newspaper , JRP Ringier, Zurich 2008, ISBN 978-3905829105 .
- 2003 Young West Art Prize
- 2003 Albert Renger Patzsch Prize
- 2004 Prize for the Rubens Prize of the City of Siegen
- 2004 ars viva prize for fine arts from the German business community
- 2006 Baloise Art Prize
- 2011 Edwin Scharff Prize
- Literature by and about Peter Piller in the catalog of the German National Library
- Peter Piller's homepage
- Sabine Oelze: Supra-regional lighting. The Hamburg artist Peter Piller exhibits in Siegen and Cologne. In: StadtRevue 11/2004 ( Memento from February 12, 2013 in the web archive archive.today )
- Gallery Bernd Kugler
- Jury 2020. In: Vonovia Award for Photography. Accessed July 31, 2020 .
- Peter Piller received a call to the University of Graphics and Book Art in Leipzig and took over the "Professorship for Photography. Accessed on November 1, 2018 .
- Press release No. 1 - WS 2018/2019. Retrieved November 1, 2018 .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German artist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||5th January 1968|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Fritzlar|