life and work
Remmert studied mathematics, mathematical logic and physics at the Westphalian Wilhelms University in Münster from 1949 to 1954, among others with Heinrich Behnke , with whom he received his doctorate in 1954 on holomorphic and meromorphic mapping of analytical sets . From the 1950s onwards, in collaboration with Hans Grauert and Karl Stein, he was significantly involved in the development of the theory of complex spaces in the function theory of several variables. His Proper mapping theorem from 1957 is well known. After completing his habilitation in Münster in 1957, he received his first professorship in Erlangen in 1960 . In 1963 he followed a call to Göttingen and in 1967 he succeeded Behnke in Münster, where he stayed until his retirement in 1995. Remmert has been visiting professor several times, for example at the Institute for Advanced Study and at IHES near Paris.
He is the author of a two-volume textbook on function theory, which also contains a great deal of material that is rarely treated in such textbooks and a great deal of historical information. Remmert's historical interests were also reflected in the publication of the works of Kiyoshi Oka and as co-editor of the Hausdorff Edition.
Remmert was a member of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences , the North Rhine-Westphalian Academy of Sciences and the Austrian Academy of Sciences and received an honorary doctorate from the Ruhr University Bochum in 1990 . From 1992 to 2007 he was chairman of the Friends of the Mathematical Research Institute in Oberwolfach .
His doctoral students include Ulrich Güntzer , Ludger Kaup (University of Konstanz), Wilhelm Kaup (University of Tübingen), Klaus Peters (publisher), Michael Otte (University of Bielefeld), Siegfried Bosch , Georg Schumacher , Lothar Gerritzen , Gerd Fischer and Wolf Barth .
- with Eberhard Oeljeklaus: Lineare Algebra 1. , Heidelberger Taschenbücher, Vol. 150, 1. Edition, Springer, 1974, ISBN 3540067159 .
- with Peter Ullrich: Elementary number theory. Birkhäuser, 1995, ISBN 3764351977 .
- with Georg Schumacher: Function theory 1. 5. Edition. Springer, 2002, ISBN 3540590757 .
- with Georg Schumacher: Function Theory 2. 3. Edition. Springer, 2007, ISBN 3540404325 .
- with Hans Grauert: Theory of Stein's spaces. Springer, 1977 (English 1979, 2004).
- with Hans Grauert: Analytical place algebras. Springer, 1971.
- with Hans Grauert: Coherent analytic sheaves. Springer, 1984.
- with Karl Stein: About the essential singularities of analytical sets. In: Math. Annals. 1953.
- with Hans Grauert: On the theory of modifications I. In: Math. Annalen. 1955.
- Analytical set projections. In: Math. Annals. 1956.
- Meromorphic functions in compact complex spaces. In: Math. Annals. 1956.
- with Hans Grauert: Convexity in Complex Analysis. In: Comm. Math. Helvetici. 1956/7.
- with Hans Grauert: Plurisubharmonic functions in complex spaces. In: Math. Journal. 1956.
- with Hans Grauert: Singularities of complex manifolds and Riemann domains. In: Math. Journal. 1957.
- Holomorphic and meromorphic representations of complex spaces. In: Math. Annals. 1957.
- with Hans Grauert: Complex spaces. In: Math. Annals. Volume 136. 1958.
- with Karl Stein: Actual holomorphic images. In: Math. Journal. 1960.
- Recent results in complex analysis. In: Annual report DMV. 1975/6.
- The algebraization of function theory. In: DMV Mitteilungen. No. 4. 1993.
- with S. Bosch, U. Güntzer Non archimedean analysis. A systematic approach to rigid analytic geometry , Grundlehren der Mathematischen Wissenschaften, Springer Verlag 1984
- From Riemann surfaces to complex spaces , in: Michele Audin (ed.), Matériaux pour l'histoire des mathématiques au XXe siècle Actes du colloque à la mémoire de Jean Dieudonné (Nice 1996), SMF 1998
- Georg Schumacher: About the development of complex analysis in Germany from the end of the 19th century to the beginning of the seventies. In: Annual report of the German Mathematicians Association. 98, 2, 1996, online , pp. 41-133,
- Literature by and about Reinhold Remmert in the catalog of the German National Library
- Short biography on the website of the University of Münster
- Reinhold Remmert in the Mathematics Genealogy Project (English)
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German mathematician|
|DATE OF BIRTH||June 22, 1930|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Osnabrück , German Empire|
|DATE OF DEATH||March 9, 2016|
|Place of death||Osnabrück , Germany|