Scribus 1.4.6 on Linux Mint 18
|developer||Scribus Development Team|
|Publishing year||June 26, 2003|
( March 3, 2019 )
|Current preliminary version||1.5.5
(July 30, 2019)
|operating system||Unix , Linux , macOS , Windows , OS / 2 , Haiku|
|programming language||C ++|
|License||GPL ( Free Software )|
Scribus is a free desktop publishing program for Linux , Unix , macOS , OS / 2 , Haiku , and Windows systems that is licensed under the GNU General Public License .
Range of functions
Scribus is a page layout program that enables the flexible design of documents with free placement of text and images in frames. Master pages and levels can be created.
Numerous formatting functions are available for text editing . Style sheets can be used for paragraph and character styles, as well as for line styles . Text can be aligned to a baseline grid ( registration ). In addition, the program offers some micro-typographic functions such as optical margin adjustment , undercutting or gray value optimization using glyph scaling.
Other more sophisticated make-up functions such as vertical wedge (vertically expelling text to the full height of the frame by distributing space between paragraphs or lines), automatic holding together of paragraphs or the automatic suppression of whores' children and cobbler boys , which have long been available in the professional programs InDesign and QuarkXPress are missing in the current stable version 1.4.x.
With version 1.5.0 vertical scaling and the suppression of whores children and cobbler boys was implemented.
With the exception of the language setting , defaults for hyphenation can only be set globally for the entire document. Fixed exclusions (spaces with a fixed width, e.g. half square, quarter square, etc.) are taken from Unicode character sets and are therefore only available in Unicode fonts in which the corresponding character set positions are occupied.
The options for setting footnotes and marginalia created in the market-leading standard applications in recent years are available from version 1.5.1. The extended functionalities of OpenType fonts such as automatic substitution of ligatures and old style figures can be used from 1.5.3. Support for Complex Text Layout (required for Arabic and Hebrew ) is also available from version 1.5.3.
Formatted text can be imported from free formats such as ODT or HTML or with filter codes that can be freely defined by the user (the latter, however, only support paragraph style sheets, no character styles). Text can only be exported unformatted .
The special features of Scribus include special frames (rendering frames) that allow the use of external software for rendering graphics within Scribus; z. B. for formulas using LaTeX or notation using LilyPond . The creation of PDF forms is well supported .
Raster graphics can be loaded in all common formats, including PSD . Vector graphics can be opened or imported and edited in the formats AI , CVG , EPS , FIG , ODG , SXD , PDF , PICT , PostScript , SHAPE , SML , SVG and WMF .
Starting with Scribus 1.5, Scribus supports the import of some, mostly proprietary, document formats such as Apple Pages , VivaDesigner and Xara . In version 1.5.1, RTF and docx from Microsoft Word were added.
Scribus can export documents as PDF . For professional print output, Scribus supports the standards PDF / X-1a, PDF / X-3 and now PDF / X-4 (from 1.5.0), CMYK color separation, spot colors and color management (with LittleCMS ). In addition, the program contains more than 300 color palettes from commercial providers as well as government and official color standards. In addition, there is the export of Microsoft XPS (XPS) and the standardized Open XML Paper (OXPS) from version 1.5.0.
Version 1.5.4 was the first to support the CxF3 format for color palettes based on the ISO 17972 standard by a DTP program. In addition, some limitations and errors in the PDF export have been removed. New import filters for ZonerDraw Vector and QuarkXPress 3 and 4 expand the options for switching to Scribus. For this purpose, all previous filter files can now be loaded with the LAB color system.
The from FreieFarbe e. V. (an organization of specialists for color communication ) presented HLC Color Atlas for real printing inks and varnishes based on the CIELAB color system can be used in Scribus from version 1.5.4.
The Scribus document format SLA is based on XML , so that transformation into other formats is relatively easy. Scribus has an integrated scripting engine using Python . The program is available in 44 languages or language variants. With version 1.5.3 approx. 500 language- writing system combinations are available in the text box.
|Older version; no longer supported: 0.3||July 9, 2001||development||First published development release|
|Older version; no longer supported: 1.0||June 26, 2003||stable||First stable release|
|Older version; no longer supported: 1.2.0||August 28, 2004||stable||First stable release in the 1.2.xx series|
|Older version; no longer supported: 1.2.1||August 1, 2005||stable||From version 1.2.1, commercial support is offered for Europe and North America.|
|Older version; no longer supported: 1.3.0||July 15, 2005||development||First version to run on Windows and Mac OS X.|
|Older version; no longer supported: 184.108.40.206||November 10, 2006||stable||First stable release in the 1.3.xx series|
|Older version; no longer supported: 220.127.116.11||January 9, 2007||stable||First version to run on OS / 2|
|Older version; no longer supported: 18.104.22.168||March 15, 2007||stable|
|Older version; no longer supported: 1.3.4||May 30, 2007||development||The development of version 1.3.4 was discontinued in favor of the Qt-4-based version 1.3.5, which however was never released as a stable version.|
|Older version; no longer supported: 1.3.5||April 20, 2009||development||Native Aqua version for Mac OS X|
|Older version; no longer supported: 22.214.171.124||January 28, 2010||stable||Last stable release in the 1.3.3.x series|
|Older version; still supported: 1.4.0||January 1, 2012||stable||The 1.4.x series is the successor to the stable 1.3.3.x series, of which version 126.96.36.199 was the last update.|
|Older version; still supported: 1.4.2||January 14, 2013||stable||Hunspell integrated, 64-bit version available for Windows for the first time|
|Older version; still supported: 1.4.3||July 31, 2013||stable||Porting to Haiku , support of QR codes|
|Older version; still supported: 1.4.4||May 29, 2014||stable||PDF / X-1a export added|
|Older version; still supported: 1.4.5||January 30, 2015||stable||Improvements to the scripter|
|Older version; still supported: 1.4.6||January 12, 2016||stable||Improvements to PDF export, support for SVG blend modes|
|Older version; still supported: 1.4.7||April 28, 2018||stable||Bugfix in bugs changelog|
|Current version: 1.4.8||3rd March 2019||stable||Bugfix, see bugs changelog|
|Future version: 1.4.9||2020 plan||stable||Bugfix, see bugs changelog|
|Older version; no longer supported: 1.5.0||May 25, 2015||development||Improved document and graphic import, restructured program interface, Qt 5.2+|
|Older version; no longer supported: 1.5.1||February 14, 2016||development||New icons, CIE-LAB and CIE-HLC support, RTF and DOCX import|
|Older version; no longer supported: 1.5.2||17th May 2016||development||New text layout system, support for Hi-DPI monitors, access to over 300 commercial color palettes in CIE-LAB format, extended options for file backup and restore, Qt 5.3+|
|Older version; no longer supported: 1.5.3||May 22, 2017||development||New layout engine with support for over 500 languages, Qt 5.5+, Krita import filter|
|Older version; no longer supported: 1.5.4||April 28, 2018||development||Support for the CxF color palette format and spectral colors, import filters (experimental) for QuarkXpress files of versions 3 and 4 as well as ZonerDraw 4 and 5, Qt 5.6+, many improvements for PDF (bug fix see bugs changelog)|
|Preliminary version: 1.5.5||July 30, 2019||development||Extensive refactoring to make the source code more readable, easier to maintain, faster and more error-free. Various small improvements.|
|Future version: 1.5.6||2020 plan||development||Bugfix and PDF|
- Gregory Pittman, Christoph Schäfer et al .: Scribus. Open Source Desktop Publishing: The Official Manual . FLES Books, UK 2009, ISBN 978-0-9560780-0-1 .
- Holger Reibold: Scribus 1.5 compact . Brain-Media.de, Saarbrücken 2015, ISBN 978-3-95444-124-2 , pp. 460 ( Brain-Media - keyboard shortcuts, cliparts and fonts as free downloads).
- Thomas Kaltschmidt: Side turning. Free DTP with Scribus . In: c't . No. 5 . Heise Zeitschriften Verlag, 2012, p. 71 .
- Scribus appearance (English)
- Scribus Wiki with the online documentation
- Scribus Screencast Video Tutorial on showmedo.com (English)
- Scribus 1.3: Instructions for DTP under Linux
- Instructions for Scribus 1.4.6
- Desktop publishing with Scribus
- ↑ Scribus 1.4.8 released .
- ↑ 1.5.0 Release - Scribus Wiki. Accessed June 28, 2018 .
- ↑ ScribusCTL project started. Scribus.net, accessed February 17, 2016 .
- ↑ 1.5.x Roadmap. Scribus Wiki, accessed February 17, 2016 .
- ↑ Data sheet for Scribus 1.5.0. (PDF) In: wiki.scribus.net. Retrieved June 28, 2018 .
- ↑ 1.5.1 Release - Scribus Wiki. Accessed June 28, 2018 .
- ↑ Scribus 1.5.2 Data Sheet. (PDF) In: wiki.scribus.net. Accessed June 28, 2018 .
- ↑ ISO 17972-1: 2015 - Graphic technology - Color data exchange format - Part 1: Relationship to CxF3 (CxF / X) datum = 2015-05. ISO , accessed May 3, 2020 .
- ↑ CxF - Color Exchange Format. Retrieved June 28, 2018 .
- ↑ Free color! Retrieved on May 3, 2020 (homepage of freieFarbe e.V.).
- ↑ HLC Color Atlas Released - Scribus. Retrieved June 28, 2018 (American English).
- ↑ 1.4.5 Release. February 3, 2015, accessed February 14, 2016 .
- ↑ 1.4.6 Release. January 12, 2016, accessed February 14, 2016 .
- ↑ 1.4.7 Release - Scribus Wiki. Accessed June 28, 2018 .
- ↑ Change Log - Mantis Issue Tracker for Scribus 1.4.7. Retrieved June 28, 2018 .
- ↑ Scribus 1.4.7 and 1.5.4 released - Scribus. Retrieved June 28, 2018 (American English).
- ↑ https://bugs.scribus.net/changelog_page.php?version_id=107
- ↑ https://www.scribus.net/scribus-1-4-8-released/
- ↑ https://bugs.scribus.net/changelog_page.php?version_id=109
- ↑ Scribus 1.5.0 Readme. May 23, 2015, accessed February 14, 2016 .
- ↑ Liarne M. Dubowy: Free DTP software Scribus 1.5.0 with many new functions. heise open , May 26, 2015, accessed on May 26, 2015 .
- ↑ Scribus 1.5.1 released - Scribus. Retrieved June 28, 2018 (American English).
- ↑ 1.5.2 Release - Scribus Wiki. Accessed June 28, 2018 .
- ↑ 1.5.3 Release - Scribus Wiki. Accessed June 28, 2018 .
- ↑ 1.5.4 Release - Scribus Wiki. Accessed June 28, 2018 .
- ^ Change Log - Mantis Issue Tracker for Scribus. Retrieved June 28, 2018 .
- ↑ 1.5.5 Release - Scribus Wiki. Accessed August 4, 2019 .
- ↑ 1.5.5 Release - Scribus Wiki. Accessed August 4, 2019 .
- ↑ https://bugs.scribus.net/changelog_page.php?version_id=106
- ↑ https://bugs.scribus.net/changelog_page.php?version_id=110
- ↑ https://bugs.scribus.net/changelog_page.php