St-Sulpice (La Celle-sur-Morin)
The Catholic parish church of Saint-Sulpice in La Celle-sur-Morin , a parish in the Seine-et-Marne department in the French region of Ile-de-France , was built in the 12th century in the Romanesque style. The church is dedicated to Saint Sulpicius I of Bourges , Bishop of Bourges in the 6th century.
A square roof turret covered with slate and covered by a pyramid roof rises above the western facade as a bell tower . The outer walls are broken up by arched windows and structured by buttresses protruding far from the 12th century.
The nave has three aisles and is divided into four bays . In the east it flows into a just closed choir . The two yokes of the choir still have their original ribbed vault . A four-lane tracery window opens in the east wall of the choir, which was broken through during the restoration of the church in the 16th century. In 1946 a stained glass window with scenes from the life of Jesus was installed.
Leaded glass window
The church has numerous stained glass windows from the 19th century. The windows with the depictions of St. Blaise , St. Sulpicius, the patron saint of the church, and the hermit Blandinus von Meaux bear the signature LÉVÊQUE à Beauvais , some with the year 1868. On other windows are St. Fara , founder and abbess of Faremoutiers Monastery , Saint Rochus of Montpellier , Mary with the baby Jesus and Saint Joseph depicted.
- A fountain bowl from the 11th century is kept in the church. It originally stood in the cloister of the Benedictine priory in La Celle-sur-Morin, which was demolished during the French Revolution .
- The carved wood figure of a bishop is dated to the 13th century.
- The colorful Madonna figure from the 15th century is dressed in a red dress and a blue cape. On her left arm she carries the baby Jesus who is holding a dove in her hands.
- Two frescoes from the 15th century have been preserved in the choir . One represents the wedding at Cana , the other the transfiguration of Christ .
- Le Patrimoine des Communes de la Seine-et-Marne. Flohic Éditions, Volume 1, Paris 2001, ISBN 2-84234-100-7 , pp. 318-320.
- Église Saint-Sulpice topic-topos (accessed on January 26, 2015, in French)
- Église Saint-Sulpice patrimoine-religieux (accessed January 26, 2015, in French)
- Sulpitius I of Bourges . In: Complete Lexicon of Saints, Volume 5, Augsburg 1882, p. 400
- Sulpitius I of Bourges . Ecumenical Lexicon of Saints