The white wine variety Terret Blanc is one of the varieties of the old variety Terret from Languedoc in southern France. The acidic wines were used for the distillation of brandy before 1940 and for vermouth before the general powdery mildew infestation .
Today the variety is still approved in the appellations of Côtes du Rhône , Cassis , Costières de Nîmes , Coteaux du Languedoc and Corbières . Terret Blanc is often stated in the literature as one of the grape varieties permitted for Châteauneuf-du-Pape . In fact, however, it is not included in the relevant appellation provisions.
In 1999 there were still 2,886 hectares of vineyards planted with Terret Blanc. In 2007 only 1,586 hectares were surveyed. (Source ONIVINS) The late-ripening variety produces dry, fine and fragrant wines .
In France, clones 1071 and 1072 are approved for growing quality wines.
Parentage : Variety of Tarret
Synonyms: Bourret blanc, Tarret blanc, Terret monstre
Ampelographic varietal characteristics
- The shoot tip is open. It is very hairy white to tomentose, greenish with a slightly reddish tinge. The bronze-colored, blistered young leaves are only slightly hairy.
- The medium-sized and thick leaves are five-lobed and moderately deeply indented. The stem bay is lyren-shaped open, with the tips at the end of the stem bay slightly overlapping. The blade is bluntly serrated. The teeth are set medium-wide compared to other grape varieties.
- The conical to cylindrical grape is medium to large in size and has dense berries. The elongated berries are medium in size.
The grape variety ripens approx. 30 - 35 days after the Gutedel and is therefore considered to ripen late.
- Les Cepages Noirs dans le Vignoble (PDF) ( Memento of March 23, 2012 in the Internet Archive ), Statistics on white grape varieties per Greater Region, Part 1, Publication of the Office National Interprofessionnel des Fruits, des Legumes, des Vins et de l'Horticulture - ONIVINS, as of 2008
- Les Cepages Noirs dans le Vignoble (PDF) ( Memento of March 23, 2012 in the Internet Archive ), Statistics on white grape varieties per Greater Region, Part 2, Publication by the Office National Interprofessionnel des Fruits, des Legumes, des Vins et de l'Horticulture - ONIVINS, as of 2008
- Terret Blanc in the database Vitis International Variety Catalog of the Institute for Vine Breeding Geilweilerhof (English)
- Norbert Tischelmayer: Wine Glossary . 2777 terms related to wine . Np Buchverlag, Mail 2001, ISBN 3-85326-177-9 .
- Pierre Galet : Dictionnaire encyclopédique des cépages . 1st edition. Hachette Livre, Paris 2000, ISBN 2-01-236331-8 .
- Jancis Robinson : The Oxford Wine Lexicon . 3rd revised edition. Gräfe and Unzer Verlag, Munich 2007, ISBN 978-3-8338-0691-9 .