|legal form||Società per Azioni|
|founding||7th November 1975|
Toremar (abbreviation for To scana Re gionale Mar ittima SpA) is an Italian ferry company that belonged to the Tirrenia group until autumn 2011 and emerged from the state's former mail ship service. Toremar was a subsidiary of Moby Lines until October 2018 ; the latter company was incorporated in Tirrenia at the end of 2018.
On behalf of the state, Toremar is responsible for the island transports in the Tyrrhenian Sea , which, as former mail ship services, are intended to ensure the continuity of the territory .
To do this, it connects the islands of the Tuscan Archipelago with the Italian mainland . In particular, it is the only line that goes to all islands with ferry ports and the only connection for smaller islands such as Capraia and Gorgona; However, Gorgona has not been approached since 2014, as it was only possible to boat there, which is considered too dangerous. On Elba , the largest island in the Tuscan archipelago, the Toremar serves the ports of Portoferraio , Rio Marina , Cavo and, until 2007, Porto Azzurro . The island of Giannutri and the uninhabited Montecristo are not approached.
The company was founded in 1975 as the successor to a predecessor company (Navigazione Toscana Spa) and was originally a line belonging to the state-owned Tirrenia Group, like the other regional ferry companies in Italy ( Siremar , Caremar , Saremar , Adriatica and the parent company Tirrenia). The Tirrenia Group in turn belonged to Fintecna , an Italian state company , until 2009 .
From 1999 to 2007 the Toremar served the route Piombino - Rio Marina (Elba) in 30 minutes with the monohull high-speed ferry Isola di Capraia (see below). Since the normal crossing also only takes 1 hour and the high-speed ferry cost significantly more, the offer was not granted permanent success. Similar experiments with high-speed ferries on the other regional lines and the parent company Tirrenia were reported to have contributed significantly to the poor financial situation of the group, which eventually triggered the privatization under the Berlusconi IV government.
In 2009 the Toremar was transferred to the Tuscany region. In May 2011, the previous direct competitor Moby Lines won a tender from the region for privatization and took over Toremar in October 2011 with the obligation to rejuvenate the fleet and continue to perform public transport tasks in the future, for which the region received a price of € 160 million 12 years paid. In 2012 the takeover and the construction of several new ships were announced, the Rosa D'Abundo was initially purchased . In January 2015, the takeover by Moby was canceled by the Consiglio di Stato (the highest Italian administrative court) and a new tender was requested because a competitor had been unlawfully excluded from the proceedings. Moby also won the new tender; an objection from unsuccessful interested parties was again rejected by the Consiglio di Stato in July 2016 .
The Aegilium , which operated between Porto S.Stefano and Giglio Porto , - together with a ferry operated by the Maregiglio company - picked up numerous shipwrecked passengers on the Costa Concordia , which was wrecked directly in front of the port entrance of Giglio Porto , and landed them on land as well as later transported to the mainland. In the meantime, the Aegilium has been replaced by the rented Giuseppe Rum .
The Toremar operates 10 car ferries and one HSC catamaran, with which it sails to the islands of Elba , Pianosa , Giglio and Capraia from Livorno , Piombino or Porto Santo Stefano . Gorgona has not been served since 2014. Ship list as of 2016 according to:
|Surname||Ship type||Trunk line||GT||Construction year||Drive (kW)||Speed kn||Number Passengers (winter / summer)||Number vehicles||Remarks|
|Rio Marina Bella||car ferry||Piombino - Portoferraio||2,390||2004||5400||18th||900||124||ex Lora d'Abundo , bought by Medmar in 2012|
|RoRo car ferry||Piombino - Portoferraio||2,780||1991||5692||18th||790||96||Aethalia is the Greek name of the island of Elba|
|Marmorica||RoRo car ferry||Piombino - Portoferraio||2386||1980||7560||18th||530||101||Marmorica is a Latin name for the island of Gorgona|
|Oglasa||RoRo car ferry||Piombino - Portoferraio||2386||1980||5561||18th||530||101||Oglasa is a Latin name for the island of Montecristo|
|Giovanni Bellini||RoRo car ferry||Piombino - Rio Marina (-Pianosa)||1,573||1985||3707||16.5||390/430||60||Chartered by Siremar in 2005, bought in 2007|
|Liburna||RoRo car ferry||Livorno - (Gorgona) - Capraia||1,551||1988||4270||16.5||550/690||76||Liburna is the Latin name of the city of Livorno|
|Giuseppe Rum||car ferry||Porto S.Stefano - Giglio Porto||497||2005||?||16||633||40||Leased from Maregiglio for 12 years in 2012 , replacement for 'Aegilium'|
|HSC Schiopparello Jet||High speed ferry||Piombino - Cavo - Portoferraio||209||1999||?||38||187||-||-|
Former Toremar ships
|Surname||GT||Construction year||Drive (kW)||Speed kn||Number Passengers (winter / summer)||Number Car||Remarks|
|Aegilium||283||1948||?||?||?||-||ex VAN DER STENG, was in operation from 1954 to 1968. After it was sold to a German private person in 1969, it was renamed “Gloria I”, later to “Albacora I”. In 2008 it was converted into a yacht, renamed "Albacora of Tortola".|
|Capo Bianco||2,196||1959||4235||17.5||900||80||ex PRINS BERTIL, Toremar since 1974, sold to Saudi Arabia in 1990, in service there until 2011|
|Rio Marina||352||1960||671||10.5||250||25th||ex M / S ROSPIGGEN, since 1962 Toremar or predecessor line, sold 1981, scrapped 2010|
|Città di Piombino||495||1964||1942||?||495||?||ex M / S MALMØ, built at the Meyer shipyard in Papenburg, since 1969 Toremar or predecessor line, sold 1976, still in service, 2013 as Don Peppino Pozzuali - Procida|
|Isola d'Elba||499||1961||971||?||300||40||ex M / S SKÅNE, built by Jansen Werft Leer, since 1967 Toremar or the predecessor line, sold in 1980, on the ground in the port of Brindisi|
|Aethalia||1306||1956||2054||14th||1300||48||sold to Tanzania in 1989, deleted from register in 2002|
|Isola di Capraia||1927||1999||9400||32||544||57||Jet-powered Aquastrada TMV70 fast ferry, delivered to Tirrenia in 2007, data at|
|Planasia||1408||1980||3707||16.5||550/710||60||Planasia is the Latin name of the island of Pianosa, sold to Balearia in 2012 , now sails as Posidonia|
Aegilium is the Latin name of the island Giglio has been
driving for Gestur as Macaiva since 2013
|Fabricia||224||1987||2685||32||208||-||Hydrofoil, replaced by HSC Agostino Lauro Jet , sold to Siremar in 2013|
|HSC Acapulco Jet||286||1989||2 × 2638 kW||33||300||-||-|
- Fusione Tirrenia Moby e sede in Sardegna La Nuova Sardegna, 22 October 2018 (Italian), accessed on October 28, 2018
- "Gorgona, Gazzarri: Serve una nuova gara per consentire il collegamento con la terraferma", tgregione.it of November 7, 2014
- History of Italian shipping companies ( Memento of the original from March 4, 2016 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. (it.)
- Tirrenia, traghetti d'oro che nessuno vuole (ships made of gold that no one wants)
- La Nazione - Moby si aggiudica la Toremar
- Toremar verso l'estate, nuove navi e nuove ... tariffe confindustrialivorno.it v. March 21, 2012
- Sentenza choc del Consiglio di Stato su Toremar. L'Elba si interroga sul futuro dei collegamenti - iltirreno.it v.17. January 2015
- Battaglia legale conclusa, Onorato si tiene Toremar , iltirreno.it from August 1, 2016
- Toremar: La Flotta (it.)
- Rivoluzione traghetti La “Giuseppe Rum” va a Moby-Toremar , iltirreno.it February 10, 2012 (it.)
- Shiopparello jet sostituisce Acapulco jet (it.)
- http://www.naviearmatori.net/html/vedi_armatore-ita-34-1.html ( Memento from April 8, 2011 in the Internet Archive )
- Giglio News
- Rodriquez Cantieri Navali: Acquastrada TMV 70 ( Memento of the original from May 12, 2006 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link has been inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. (PDF; 312 kB)
- - ( Memento of the original from January 6, 2014 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.