United States Space Force
United States Space Force
Official coat of arms of the US Space Force
|Lineup||20th December 2019|
|Armed forces||United States Armed Forces|
|Type||Armed forces ( space forces )|
|Secretary of Defense||Mark Esper|
|United States Secretary of the Air Force||Barbara Barrett|
|Chief of Space Operations||John W. Raymond|
The United States Space Force ( USSF ) is the sixth branch of the United States Armed Forces to take over the military space missions previously carried out by the US Air Force . A United States Space Command as the eleventh Unified Combatant Command is also being considered, which will take over the tasks of the previous Air Force Space Command (AFSPC). The budget request for the fiscal year 2020 was submitted by the White House to the US Congress in February 2019 . It required eight billion US dollars and a strength of 15,000 people for the first five years.
On June 18, 2018, US President Donald Trump announced a decree to create a sixth armed force in a speech to the National Space Council . The announced US Space Force is to take over the tasks of the current Air Force Space Command of the US Air Force .
On August 9, 2018, Vice President Mike Pence stated that the Space Force should be operational by 2020. He said the US would have to work hard to maintain its own dominance in space. Their opponents made considerable strides. Pence stated:
“For many years, countries like Russia , China , North Korea and Iran sought weapons in order to interfere with our navigation and communication satellites with electronic attacks from the ground. Recently, our opponents have been working on bringing weapons of war into space. "
This refers to the possible use of modern Russian and Chinese anti-satellite weapons (ASAT) and the possible electronic warfare and cyber attack capabilities in space. These include electronic countermeasures against dedicated military satellite communications (SATCOM), satellite images with Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) and improved capabilities compared to global navigation satellite systems such as Beidou and GLONASS .
On February 19, 2019, President Trump signed a decree creating the Space Force. Based on the decree, the Ministry of Defense will present a legislative proposal.
On December 20, 2019, President Trump signed the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2020 , p.1790, which officially put the United States Space Force into operation.
In January 2020, the new uniforms were presented to the public, whereby the uniforms themselves are largely congruent with those of the US Army and US Air Force and also take over the camouflage clothing .
On January 24, 2020, the new United States Space Force logo was unveiled.
- Official website (English)
- Space Force: An Explainer The Planetary Society (English)
- Final Report on Organizational and Management Structure for the National Security Space Components of the Department of Defense defense.gov, PDF (English)
- United States Space Force February 2019, defense.gov, PDF (English)
- Final Report on Organizational and Management Structure for the National Security Space Components of the Department of Defense - Report to Congressional Defense Committees (PDF) from August 9, 2018 on limacharlienews.com. (English)
- Space Force would be by far the smallest military service airforcetimes.com, accessed March 6, 2019
- The Latest: Trump tells Pentagon to create "Space Force". In: wthr.com. Associated Press, June 18, 2018, accessed June 18, 2018 .
- Marina Koren: What Does Trump Mean By 'Space Force'? . The Atlantic . March 13, 2018.
- USA plan 'Space Force' by 2020 . Tagesschau.de, August 10, 2018.
- Trump orders the establishment of space forces . Zeit Online, February 20, 2019.
- Secretary of the Air Force Public Affairs: With the stroke of a pen, US Space Force becomes a reality . spaceforce.mil, December 20, 2019. Retrieved December 21, 2019
- US camouflage in space - "Space Force" uniform is ridiculed. ZDF, January 18, 2020, accessed on January 19, 2020 .
- Donald J. Trump: After consultation with our Great Military Leaders, designers, and others, I am pleased to present the new logo for the United States Space Force, the Sixth Branch of our Magnificent Military! Pic.twitter.com/TC8pT4yHFT. In: @realDonaldTrump. January 24, 2020, accessed on January 24, 2020 .