From 1983 Uwe Walter studied history, Latin and Greek in Göttingen and Erlangen. For Michael Stahl he was in autumn 1992 in Göttingen his doctorate with a thesis on civil rights in archaic Greece. He then completed a teaching traineeship and worked in school until 1997. In that year he was seconded to the Department of Ancient History at the Institute for Classical Studies at the University of Cologne as a student assistant . In 2001 he received a research grant from the Gerda Henkel Foundation and completed his habilitation in Cologne in 2003 with a thesis on the historical culture of the Roman Republic. In 2004 he was appointed professor for general history with special emphasis on ancient history at Bielefeld University. He turned down calls to the University of Mainz (2009) and the University of Göttingen (2010).
Walter focuses on Greek history in the archaic and classical times, the Roman Republic, ancient historiography and the history of science . He is co-editor of the renowned historical journal . From 2009 to 2012 he also ran the blog “Antike und Abendland” for the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung .
Walter always remained connected to the school. He works in the Association of History Teachers in Germany and on various school books and is the editor of the association's magazine geschichte für heute .
- Participate in the polis. Citizenship and affiliation in Archaic Greece (= Historia. Individual writings. Volume 82). Steiner, Stuttgart 1993, ISBN 3-515-06370-6 .
- High School Knowledge History: The Ancient World. Stark, Freising 2000, 2nd edition 2004, ISBN 3-89449-420-4 .
- Memoria and res publica. On the historical culture of the Roman Republic. Verlag Antike, Frankfurt 2004, ISBN 3-938032-00-6 .
- Political order in the Roman Republic. Oldenbourg, Berlin 2017, ISBN 978-3486596960 .
- (Ed. And Comm.): M. Valerius Martialis Epigramme. Schöningh, Paderborn 1996. ISBN 3-8252-1954-2 .
- (Ed. And Comm., With Hans Beck ): The early Roman historians . 2 volumes, WBG, Darmstadt 2001-2004.
- (Ed. With Ulrich Eigler , Ulrich Gotter and Nino Luraghi ): Forms of Roman historiography from the beginnings to Livy. WBG, Darmstadt 2003.
- (with Markus Sehlmeyer ): Unaffected by any upheaval? The ancient historian Ernst Hohl between the German Empire and the early GDR. Verlag Antike, Frankfurt am Main 2005, ISBN 3-938032-08-1 .
- (Ed.): Legislation and political culture in the Roman Republic (= studies on ancient history. Volume 20). Verlag Antike, Heidelberg 2014.
- Literature by and about Uwe Walter in the catalog of the German National Library
- Page at Bielefeld University
- “Antiquity and the Occident” , blog at FAZ.NET
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German ancient historian and university professor|
|DATE OF BIRTH||October 23, 1962|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Rotenburg on the Fulda|