Confused colors

from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The mixed up colors , also changed colors , are a special kind of coloring in heraldry .

Several variants have successfully established themselves. One variant is based on using the color change at the dividing line by means of two-tone in a heraldic image that fills the shield or a common figure . Another variant is that the colors of the affected fields on the dividing or cleavage line change in a contrary manner with the parts of the part of the unequal Herald's image protruding into the corresponding field. That means, the shield color of one field changes over the dividing line into the part of the same herald image of the other field and vice versa. The third variant shows a completely different picture of the Herald than in the previous illustration.

The term can naturally only be used in the plural, because at least two heraldic colors, including metals, are always affected. In older crest letters or documents the expression is geschränkte color or folded color used. It would be correct to use the term changing color or alternating tinging , because nothing is confused, but colors are used in alternating choices. But to the chagrin of some heraldists, the term has become naturalized in ancient German (like "swap").

The symmetry of the coats of arms favors mixed up colors, but is not a requirement. Almost every coat of arms and every herald image are suitable. This type of tinging is a very simple and effective representation.


The fact that the Dreiberg is also confused follows from the fact that no other color was specified, but this is not entirely clear.
∗∗ The fact that the scales protrude into the silver ground is evident from the fact that otherwise they would not be mixed up.

Web links

Commons : Confused colors  - collection of images, videos, and audio files

Individual evidence

  1. In contrast to German, however, in French heraldry one speaks differently of de l'un à l'autre for symmetrical, and de l'un en l'autre for asymmetrical color change, analogously also in Spanish and Portuguese