Børge Rosenbaum grew up in a Jewish family of musicians . He gave his first piano concerto when he was eight years old. In 1918 he received a full scholarship and studied at the Royal Danish Conservatory .
Later he was tutored by Victor Schiøler , the Liszt student Frederic Lamond and the Busoni student Egon Petri ; In 1926 he made his debut at the Odd Fellow Palais . In the 1930s he was one of the most popular Danish pianists.
However, he did not like the seriousness of the classical concert business. He therefore began to add humorous elements and parodies to his appearances. His jokes about Adolf Hitler were well received by the Danish public, but not by the German occupiers during World War II . Therefore he had to emigrate to the USA in 1940, where he called himself Victor Borge.
There, too, his appearances did not lose their comical note. He soon appeared on the radio , including with Bing Crosby . In 1948 he became an American citizen . At the John Golden Theater in New York he had his one-man show Comedy in Music from 1953 to 1956 , the longest-running one-man show ever. A quote from the “comedian at the piano” read: “A smile is the shortest connection between two people.” Victor Borge not only played the piano excellently, but also performed as a conductor , including at opera performances . He established several foundations and received numerous prizes and awards.
His talents were not limited to music and comedy. In the American model of the TV guess show What am I? Borge presented himself as a chicken farmer. He ran a poultry farm in Connecticut under the name ViBo Farms .
- Phonetic Punctuation Parts 1 and 2 (1945, Columbia Records 36911, 78 rpm)
- The Blue Serenade / A Lesson in Composition (1945, Columbia Records 36912, 78 rpm)
- Brahms' Lullaby / Grieg Rhapsody (1945, Columbia Records 36913, 78 rpm)
- A Mozart Opera by Borge / All The Things You Are (1945, Columbia Records 36914, 78 rpm)
- A Victor Borge Program (1946, Columbia Album C-111, 4 discs 78 rpm - a set containing the four previous releases)
- Unstarted Symphony / Bizet's Carmen (1947, Columbia Records 38181, 78 rpm)
- Intermezzo / Stardust (1947, Columbia Records 38182, 78 rpm)
- Rachmaninoff's Concerto No. 2 / Inflation Language (1947, Columbia Records 38183, 78 rpm)
- Clair de Lune / Vuggevise (1947, Columbia Records 38184, 78 rpm)
- An Evening with Victor Borge (1948 Columbia Album C-161, 4 discs 78 rpm - a set containing the four previous releases)
- A Victor Borge Program (1951, Columbia Records CL-6013, 10 '' LP)
- Comedy in Music, Vol. 1 (1954, Columbia Records CL-6292, 10 '' LP)
- Comedy in Music, Vol. 2 (1954, Columbia Records CL-6293, 10 '' LP)
- Comedy in Music (1954, Columbia Records CL-554, LP)
- Caught in the Act (1955, Columbia Records CL-646, LP)
- Brahms, Bizet and Borge (1955, Columbia Records CL-2538, 10 '' LP)
- ½ Time På Dansk (1958, Fona 251 HI-FI, 10 '' LP)
- The Adventures of Piccolo, Saxie and Company (1959, Columbia Records CL-1223, LP)
- The Adventures of Piccolo, Saxie and Company (1959, Coronet KLP 762, LP (AUS))
- Victor Borge Plays and Conducts Concert Favorites (1959, Columbia Records CL-1305 / CS-8113, LP)
- Borge's Back (1962, MGM E / SE-3995P, LP)
- Borge's Back (1962, MGM CS-6055, LP (UK))
- Borgering on Genius (1962, MGM 2354029, LP - same material as Borge's Back )
- Great Moments of Comedy (1964, Verve V / V6 15044, LP - same material as Borge's Back )
- Victor Borge presents his own enchanting version of Hans Christian Andersen (1966, Decca DL7-34406 Stereo, LP)
- Comedy in Music (1972, CBS S 53140, LP)
- Victor Borge at His Best (1972, PRT Records COMP 5, 2 LPs)
- Victor Borge Live At The London Palladium (1972, Pye NSPL 18394, LP)
- My Favorite Intervals (1975, PYE NSPD 502, LP)
- 13 Pianos Live in Concert (1975, Telefunken-Decca LC-0366)
- Victor Borge 50 Års Jubilæum (1976, Philips 6318035, LP)
- Victor Borge Show (1977, CBS 70082, LP, in Danish)
- Victor Borge Live in the Hamburger Musikhalle (1978, Philips 6305 369, LP)
- Victor Borge Live (1978, Starbox LX 96 004 Stereo, LP)
- Victor Borge - Live (!) (1992, Sony Broadway 48482, CD)
- The Piano & Humor of the Great Victor Borge (1997, Sony Music Special Products 15312, 3 CDs)
- The Two Sides of Victor Borge (1998, GMG Entertainment, CD)
- Caught in the Act (1999, Collectables Records 6031, CD)
- Comedy in Music (1999, Collectables Records 6032, CD)
- Phonetically Speaking - And Don't Forget The Piano (2001, Jasmine 120, CD)
- En aften med Victor Borge (2003, UNI 9865861, CD)
- I Love You Truly (2004, Pegasus (Pinnacle) 45403, CD)
- Victor Borge King of Comedy (2006, Phantom 26540, CD)
- Verdens morsomste mand: alle tiders Victor Borge (2006, UNI 9877560, CD)
- Unstarted Symphony (2008, NAX-8120859, CD)
- Comedy in Music (2009, SHO-227, CD)
- Frk.Møllers jubilæum (1937)
- The var engang en vicevært (1937)
- Alarm (1938)
- I folkets navn (1938)
- De tre måske fire (1939)
- Higher and Higher (1943)
- The Story of Dr. Wassell (1944)
- The Daydreamer (1966)
- The King of Comedy (1983)
- Literature by and about Victor Borge in the catalog of the German National Library
- Werner Knudsen: A Tribute to Victor Borge
- Laughterlog.com: biography with list of radio and television recordings of Victor Borges
- Martin Cohen: He Introduced Me To the Bosendorfer Imperial: Victor Borge . Borges biography, with audio and video clips
- What's my line? on YouTube
- 405 F.2d 673: Victor Borge, Sanna Borge, and Danica Enterprises, Inc., Petitioners, v. Commissioner of Internal Revenue, Respondent - Litigation about offsetting income tax debts against losses from his poultry farming
- Nielsen Business Media, Inc .: Billboard . Nielsen Business Media, Inc., January 19, 1946, p. 28, (accessed October 3, 2010).
- H.W. Wilson: Current biography yearbook . HW Wilson., December 32, 1945, p. 63 (accessed October 3, 2010).
- Nielsen Business Media, Inc .: Billboard . Nielsen Business Media, Inc., March 23, 1946, pp. 130, (accessed October 3, 2010).
- Nielsen Business Media, Inc .: Billboard . Nielsen Business Media, Inc., June 5, 1948, p. 34, (Retrieved October 3, 2010).
- Ronald L. Smith: Comedy on record: the complete critical discography . Garland Pub., March 1, 1988, ISBN 978-0-8240-8461-5 , p. 82 (accessed October 3, 2010).
- Warren Debenham: Laughter on record: a comedy discography . Scarecrow Press, August 1988, ISBN 978-0-8108-2094-4 , p. 38, (accessed October 3, 2010).
- Nielsen Business Media, Inc .: Billboard . Nielsen Business Media, Inc., June 12, 1954, p. 22, (Retrieved October 3, 2010).
- National Collegiate Players: The Players magazine . National Collegiate Players., 1955, p. 83 (Retrieved October 3, 2010).
- Borge's first concert in Denmark after the Second World War , recorded on August 12, 1958 in the Copenhagen concert hall “Odd Fellow Palæet” ( The Odd Fellow's Lodge building ). Listen ( memento of the original from July 25, 2011 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. The 32-minute show was co-financed by FONA, was broadcast to 275,000 listeners by the recently founded radio station Radio Mercur and then as a 10 '' LP for 19.50 Danish kroner . sold
- Music and dance . Australian Musical News Publishing Co., December 32, 1957, p. 27, (Retrieved October 3, 2010).
- Nielsen Business Media, Inc .: Billboard . Nielsen Business Media, Inc., July 27, 1959, p. 28, (accessed October 3, 2010).
- Nielsen Business Media, Inc .: Billboard . Nielsen Business Media, Inc., April 28, 1962, p. 30, (accessed October 2, 2010).
- Sir Compton Mackenzie, Christopher Stone: Gramophone . General Gramophone Publications Ltd., 1963, p. 23 (Retrieved October 3, 2010).
- Jack Raymond: Show music on record: from the 1890s to the 1980s . F. Ungar, May 1, 1982, ISBN 978-0-8044-5774-3 , p. 190 (accessed October 3, 2010).
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Rosenbaum, Børge (real name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Danish-American pianist and comedian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 3, 1909|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Copenhagen|
|DATE OF DEATH||December 23, 2000|
|Place of death||Greenwich , Connecticut|