Greenwich Town Hall
|Location of the county in Connecticut and the town (red) in the county|
|State :||United States|
|County :||Fairfield County|
|Time zone :||Eastern ( UTC − 5 / −4 )|
|Residents :||62,610 (as of 2014)|
|Population density :||505.7 inhabitants per km 2|
|Area :||174.0 km 2 (approx. 67 mi 2 ) of
which 123.8 km 2 (approx. 48 mi 2 ) are land
|Height :||17 m|
|Postcodes :||06807, 06830-06839, 06870, 06878|
|Area code :||+1 203|
|GNIS ID :||0213435|
Greenwich is a city in Fairfield County in the US state Connecticut , United States , with 62,610 inhabitants (as of 2014). Greenwich has a reputation for being the suburb of New York City's wealthy .
According to the United States Census Bureau , the urban area has a size of 174.0 km², of which 123.8 km² are land and 50.2 km² (= 28.88%) are water. The area of Greenwich is about twice the size of Manhattan . Neighboring west and north is Westchester County of the state of New York , east is the City of Stamford , and across from Long Island Sound on Long Island is Bayville .
Greenwich is traditionally the home of bankers and other New York business people. 2010 Greenwich was the seat of several major hedge funds , which the city in neighboring New York nicknamed "upper Hedgistan" (English. Upper Hedgistan ) has earned.
sons and daughters of the town
- David K. Barton (born 1927), radar engineer
- Glenn Close (born 1947), actress
- Shelley Hack (born 1947), actress
- Hope Hicks (* 1988), White House communications director under US President Donald Trump
- Kara Spears Hultgreen (1965–1994), the first female fighter pilot in the United States Navy in the cockpit of an F-14 Tomcat
- Keegan Lowe (born 1993), ice hockey player
Vince McMahon (* 1945), Chairman of World Wrestling Entertainment , and his adult children
- Stephanie McMahon and
- Shane McMahon, both also active in the WWE
- Claire Messud (* 1966), writer
- Donovan Mitchell (born 1996), basketball player
- Alexia Paganini (* 2001), Swiss-American figure skater
- Andy Petery * (1939), racing car driver
- Kelly Rohrbach (* 1990), actress
- Mark Salzman (* 1959), writer
- James Sutherland (born 1948), science fiction author
- Mark Teixeira (* 1980), professional baseball
- Heather Thomas (born 1957), actress
- Dyanne Thorne (1936-2020), actress
- Francis Joseph Tief (1881–1965), Catholic bishop
- Triple H (born 1969), wrestling star (husband of Stephanie McMahon)
- Colin Wilson (born 1989), ice hockey player
Other personalities associated with the city
- The German-Austrian pop composer Fred Jay is buried in Greenwich.
- The German conductor Kurt Masur died on December 19, 2015 in Greenwich.
- Former German Defense Minister Karl-Theodor zu Guttenberg and his wife Stephanie zu Guttenberg have been living in Greenwich with their two daughters since September 2011.
- The murder of Martha Moxley , who was murdered in Greenwich, received a lot of media attention because of his "Kennedy connection".
- The American bank manager and former CEO of the major Swiss bank Credit Suisse (2007-2015) Brady W. Dougan lives in Greenwich. Likewise, Richard S. Fuld, Jr .
- American hedge fund manager Ray Dalio lives with his family in Greenwich. He is one of the richest Americans and manages the largest hedge fund in the world.
- FAZ from October 29, 2010, page 25: The suburb of billionaires
- "Upper Hedgistan is Greenwich, Connecticut." The Kingdom of Hedgistan New York Magazine 24-10-2007.
- Georg-Friedrich Kühn: The conductor of the turn. In: nzz.ch. December 19, 2015, accessed October 14, 2018 .
- Farewell to Germany. Guttenberg buys million dollar property near New York In: Spiegel Online from September 10, 2011