A rolling mill , or a wire-drawing is an operation site ( production site ), in which from steel or non-ferrous metals through rolling products such. B. sheets and strips , tubes , rods , beams , rails or wire are produced. The rolling follows the primary shaping . The starting products are bars , slabs , blocks or billets . The products are semi-finished products for the subsequent processes.
Classification according to the product
In addition to the condition of the material, rolling mills are designated according to the manufactured product:
Long products are products whose length is much greater than their thickness and width. Rolling mills for long products can be:
- Wire rod mills in which products are manufactured that are wound into coils.
- Beam or section steel rolling mills, the products of which are cut to transport length before dispatch (which can be 120 m for rails , for example ).
- Tube rolling mills for the production of steel tubes .
- Wide flat products differ from long products in that the width is much greater than the thickness. Rolling mills are divided into:
- Strip mills (processes: hot rolling or cold rolling),
- Ring rolling mills ,
- and in sheet rolling mills ( sheet steel ).
Commons : Rolling mills - collection of pictures, videos and audio files
Wiktionary: Walzwerk - explanations of meanings, word origins, synonyms, translations