Werner Busch studied art history from 1966 to 1973 in Tübingen , Freiburg , Vienna and London . In 1973 he received his doctorate in Tübingen with a dissertation on William Hogarth . From 1974 to 1981 he was a research assistant at the University of Bonn , where he completed his habilitation in 1980 with a study on German art of the 19th century. 1981–1988 he was professor at the Ruhr-Universität Bochum , from 1988 to 2010 professor of art history at the Free University of Berlin , where from 2003 to 2009 he was also the spokesman for the Collaborative Research Center 626 “Aesthetic Experience in the Sign of the Delimitation of the Arts”.
Busch's main research interests are English art of the 18th century, European art of the 18th and 19th centuries, art theory , printmaking and drawing, and the relationship between art and natural sciences in the 18th century.
Werner Busch was best known through the " Funkkolleg Kunst", which was developed in 1983–1985 in the media network and brought the history of art closer to a wide range of interested radio participants.
- Adolph Menzel. In search of reality . CHBeck, Munich 2015; ISBN 978-3-406-68090-8
- Transformation of the world. The romantic arabesque , edited with Petra Maisak . Petersberg 2013
- Englishness: Contributions to 18th century English art from Hogarth to Romney . Berlin and Munich 2010
- The unclassical picture. From Tizian to Constable and Turner , Munich 2009
- History and Aesthetics , Munich 2004
- Adolph Menzel , Munich 2004
- Caspar David Friedrich , Munich 2003
- Adolph Menzel, the balcony room , Berlin 2002
- Landscape painting , Berlin 1997
- Funkkolleg Kunst , Munich 1997, new edition
- The sentimental picture , Munich 1993
- Thoughts on hand drawing , Bremen 1992
- Outline drawing and arabesque as art principles of the 19th century .
- Romantik , Annweiler 1987
- Art , Weinheim 1987
- Joseph Wright of Derby , The Experiment with the Air Pump , Frankfurt am Main 1986
- How unique is a work of art? , Cologne 1986
- The necessary arabesque , Berlin 1985
- Art theory and art history of the 19th century in Germany : Vol. 1. Art theory and painting , art history 1982
- Art as a bearer of meaning , Berlin 1978
- Imitation as a bourgeois artistic principle , Hildesheim / New York 1977
- in: Timm, Regine (ed.): Book illustration in the 19th century (Wolfenbütteler Schriften zur Geschichte des Buchwesens; 15), Wiesbaden 1988, pp. 117–148. Later also published in the Festschrift Günter Busch on his 70th birthday : PDF, 31 pages
- Literature by and about Werner Busch in the catalog of the German National Library
- Page from Werner Busch at the Free University of Berlin
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German art historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||December 21, 1944|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Prague|