After studying in Paris , Pagniez published the novels Ouessant (1935) and Pêcheur de goémon (1939). It decided during the Nazi occupation of France to go into the resistance and sheltered allied fighter planes that had been shot down. In 1944 she was arrested by the Gestapo and taken to the Ravensbrück concentration camp . During a transport she was able to escape in October 1944, but was picked up in Konstanz . Sentenced to a maximum of four months in prison for her passport offense, it saved her from returning to the concentration camp. She served her sentence in the Gotteszell women's prison in Schwäbisch Gmünd . The subsequently planned "move" to the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp failed and she was released in Schwäbisch Gmünd.
After the war, Pagniez campaigned particularly for Franco-German reconciliation and the idea of Europe. She worked as a war correspondent in Indochina and Algeria and published several books about her experiences there. Her report on her flight in 1944, Évasion 44 , appeared in German in 1950 (and the second edition in 1963). In 2013, Reiner Wieland, head of the East Wuerttemberg written material archive, arranged for the translation (by Bernardin Schellenberger ) of Ils ressusciteront d'entre les morts (1949) to be carried out in part. In this book the author describes the end of the war in Schwäbisch Gmünd.
For Évasion 44 she received the Grand Prix du Roman in 1949 .
In 2013, in Schwäbisch Gmünd, as part of the Frauenweg memorial plaques, one was put up for Pagniez between the houses of Münsterplatz 7 and 9, as after the American occupation of the city in 1945 she was a guest of the dean and minister pastor Hermann Mager for over a week.
In the presence of her very old son Yves Pagniez (* 1926), who served as France's ambassador in several countries, a school was named after her in her hometown of Cauroir in 2017. A street in Cauroir has been named after her since 1978.
- Yvonne Pagniez 1896-1981. 1945: From prison to freedom. Writer, resistance fighter, European . Schwäbisch Gmünd 2013 ISBN 978-3-936373-97-4 .
- Marit Schillinger: Yvonne Pagniez - Inexhaustible courage to fight for peace? (= Digital publications of the Schwäbisch Gmünd City Archives 4). Schwäbisch Gmünd 2020 ( online ).
- Literature by and about Yvonne Pagniez in the SUDOC catalog (Association of French University Libraries )
- Literature by and about Yvonne Pagniez in the catalog of the German National Library
- Digitized the prisoner : http://www.landesarchiv-bw.de/plink/?f=2-100986-1 .
- Further prizes from the Académie française : http://www.academie-francaise.fr/yvonne-pagniez .
- Rems-Zeitung of May 2, 2013 ( online ); Press release from the city of Schwäbisch Gmünd .
- http://www.cauroir.fr/la-retro-des-evenements/detail-de-la-retro/article/2017/mai/15/-0b71ae8b91/ .
- http://www.cauroir.fr/le-village/yvonne-pagniez/ .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||French writer, journalist and resistance fighter|
|DATE OF BIRTH||August 10, 1896|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Cauroir|
|DATE OF DEATH||April 18, 1981|
|Place of death||Paris|