Imedia GmbH was founded in 1997 . In 1999 the public version of the affiliate network went online. On June 14, 2000, 1 & 1 Internet AG announced that it had acquired 40 percent of the shares in imedia GmbH. Management Board spokesman Andreas Gauger , who initiated the takeover, promised the 500,000 website customers of 1 & 1 Puretec an interesting income opportunity through "automated and success-based banner marketing".
In 2005 imedia , which had meanwhile been renamed Affilinet GmbH , was completely taken over by the 1 & 1 sister company AdLINK Group , in which United Internet held a majority stake and in which the online marketing activities of the group were combined. In 2009 Adlink AG took over Sedo , a trading platform for domains .
After all of AdLINK's display marketing was sold in 2009 , Affilinet remained in the AdLINK Group as one of two major brands. After the 2010 Annual General Meeting, the AdLINK Group renamed Sedo Holding , under whose roof both Sedo and Affilinet were operated jointly.
In 2014 affilinet was reclassified within the United Internet Group and has since belonged to 1 & 1 Mail + Media Applications SE.
In 2017 affilinet was brought into Awin AG , a joint investment by Axel Springer SE and United Internet AG. Legally, Awin is part of the Axel Springer Group. After all antitrust authorities gave their approval for the merger, the local offices in Great Britain, France, Benelux and Spain were gradually merged from September 2017.
On October 1, 2018, affilinet GmbH merged into Awin AG. Awin will continue all business as legal successor. From now on, affilinet is no longer a company, but just an Awin brand. The old domain affili.net is now a redirect to awin.com.
Affilinet was one of the first networks in Germany to focus on affiliate marketing . With over 3,500 programs (advertisers) and around 700,000 registered websites (publishers), Affilinet was one of the largest affiliate networks in Europe in 2013.
In addition to the German offices in Munich (headquarters) and Hanover (technology), Affilinet also had branches in France ( Paris ), Great Britain ( London ), the Netherlands ( Haarlem ) and Spain ( Madrid ).
- 1 & 1 participates in imedia GmbH , 1 & 1 Newsroom, June 14, 2000, accessed on May 14, 2018
- Alexander Hüsing: AdLink swallows sedo , German startups, October 1, 2009, accessed on May 14, 2018
- Important dates and events. (No longer available online.) Sedo Holding, archived from the original on August 15, 2012 ; Retrieved August 17, 2012 . Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Tim Schumacher becomes CEO of Adlink , HORIZONT Online , October 2, 2009, accessed on May 14, 2018
- United Internet AG: affilinet: The network for online advertising media - United Internet AG. (No longer available online.) In: www.united-internet.com. Archived from the original on July 27, 2017 ; accessed on April 22, 2019 .
- United Internet and Axel Springer merge affilinet and Awin and create leading affiliate network in Europe , United Internet press release, August 2, 2017, accessed on May 14, 2018
- See footer "Awin is part of the Axel Springer Group" in: https://www.awin.com/de/uber-uns (accessed on October 20, 2018)
- https://www.marketing-boerse.de/News/details/1836-affilinet-wird-zu-Awin/149047 from September 3, 2018 (accessed October 20, 2018)
- https://s3.amazonaws.com/docs.awin.com/marketing/DACH/Verschmelzung+der+affilinet+GmbH+auf+die+AWIN+AG_2.pdf (accessed on October 20, 2018)
- affilinet - the network for online advertising media. (No longer available online.) United Internet, archived from the original on September 30, 2013 ; Retrieved September 16, 2013 .
- locations. (No longer available online.) Sedo Holding, archived from the original on October 18, 2012 ; Retrieved August 14, 2012 .