Kleemann studied chemistry at the Johann Wolfgang Goethe University in Frankfurt am Main. He completed his diploma thesis in 1965 with Walter Ried , as did his doctoral thesis on the synthesis of hydroxy indoles . This work can be assigned to preparative organic chemistry. Kleemann began his industrial career in 1968 as a laboratory chemist in organic-chemical research at Degussa AG in Hanau-Wolfgang. At Chemiewerk Homburg (subsidiary of Degussa AG) he was in charge of chemical research before he became director of the Degussa Group's central organic chemical research (sponsored by Wilhelm Schuler ). Until 1987, Axel Kleemann headed pharmaceutical research and development in the pharmaceutical division of Degussa AG. From 1987 to 2000 he was a board member of ASTA Medica AG with responsibility for research, development, production, technology, quality assurance, drug safety and environmental protection. Since 1998, Axel Kleemann has held numerous positions as a member of the supervisory board, scientific advisory board or board member in domestic and foreign companies in the biotechnology, pharmaceutical and chemical industries. These include u. a. ChemCon GmbH (Freiburg), probiodrug GmbH (Halle), Girindus AG (Bensberg), Combinature Biopharm GmbH (Berlin), Protagen AG (Dortmund), IonGate Biosciences GmbH (Frankfurt / M.), Biofrontera AG (Leverkusen), PolyAn GmbH ( Berlin), Wilex AG (Munich), Chemagis Germany GmbH (Wiesbaden), Arpida AG (Reinach, Switzerland), Nimbus GmbH (Leipzig) and Aquapharm Biodiscovery Ltd. (Oban, Argyll, UK).
Axel Kleemann had a teaching position at the Johann Wolfgang Goethe University and was appointed honorary professor there in 1987 .
Kleemann held numerous honorary positions, a. a. as chairman of the supervisory board of the Society for Biotechnological Research , the editorial board of Ullmann's Encyclopedia of Industrial Chemistry , member of the board of trustees of the journal Angewandte Chemie (journal) and on the boards of the Society of German Chemists , the Society for Chemical Technology and Biotechnology ( DECHEMA ), the German Pharmaceutical Society ( DPhG ) and the German Biotechnology Industry Association.
Kleemann is married and has a daughter and three sons.
- Federal Cross of Merit on Ribbon (October 24, 2001), for the promotion of biotechnology
- DECHEMA plaque for its committed support of DECHEMA's biotechnology activities (2006)
More than 100 patents name him as an inventor or co-inventor.
- Reactions of β- mercapto- α- amino acids with nitriles , Hans Peter Krimmer, Karlheinz Drauz and Axel Kleemann, Chemiker-Zeitung 111 , 357-362 (1987).
- A Novel Synthetic Route to L- Proline , Karlheinz Drauz, Axel Kleemann, Jürgen Martens, Paul Scherberich and Franz Effenberger , Journal of Organic Chemistry 51 , 3494-3498 (1986).
- Neue Pharmawirkstoffe 1979-1985 , Axel Kleemann, Chemiker-Zeitung 110 , 425-443 (1986).
- α- amino acids as intermediates for heterocyclic compounds , Axel Kleemann, Chemiker-Zeitung 94 , 590-603 (1982).
- Induction of asymmetry by amino acids , Karlheinz Drauz, Axel Kleemann and Jürgen Martens , Angewandte Chemie 106 , 151-167 (1982); Angewandte Chemie International Edition English 21 , 584-608 (1982).
- Synthesis of proline from glutamic acid , Axel Kleemann, Jürgen Martens and Karlheinz Drauz, Chemiker-Zeitung 105 , 266 (1981).
- Asymmetric Synthesis of Peptides , Axel Kleemann, Jürgen Martens, Marc Samson and Wolfgang Bergstein, Synthesis 1981 , 740-741.
- Enantioselective Synthesis of the Hydroxyanalogues of D- Methionine and L-Methionine , Axel Kleemann, Bernd Lehmann and Jürgen Martens, Angewandte Chemie 91 , 858-859 (1979); Angewandte Chemie International Edition English 18 , 797 (1979).
- Always an idea better , published by Degussa AG, Frankfurt am Main, 1998, there pages 238–259 essay by Axel Kleemann: “Structure of a modern chemical research - Wilhelm Schuler”, ISBN 3-00-002389-5 .
- Faith healer wanted! Axel Kleemann, RG Fischer Verlag, 2011, ISBN 978-3-8301-1413-0 , 189 pp.
- Pharmaceutical Substances , Axel Kleemann, Jürgen Engel, Bernd Kutscher and Dietmar Reichert, 4th edition (2000) 2 volumes published by Thieme-Verlag Stuttgart, ISBN 978-1-58890-031-9 ; online since 2003 with biannual additions and updates.
- Pharmaceutical Synthesis , Hermann Josef Roth and Axel Kleemann, published by Thieme-Verlag Stuttgart (1982), ISBN 978-3-13-632901-6 .
- Drug Production , Axel Kleemann and Hermann Josef Roth, published by Thieme-Verlag Stuttgart (1983), ISBN 3-13-638501-2 .
- Jörg Lesczenski : Heinrich Roessler , Societäts-Verlag, 2015, p. 139, ISBN 978-3-95542-127-4 .
- Federal President
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German chemist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||September 3, 1940|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Frankfurt am Main|