After studying history and law at the University of Vienna , Bretholz worked for two years at the Institute for Austrian Historical Research and then for five years at the Monumenta Germaniae Historica in Berlin. In 1892 he was appointed regional historian for Moravia. From 1895 he headed the Brno City Archives and from 1897 the Moravian Provincial Archives, of which he was director from 1909 until his retirement in 1926. In 1905 he became a member of the Commission for Modern History of Austria, in 1906 honorary professor and later associate professor for history and historical auxiliary sciences at the German Technical University in Brno . From 1907 he was a full member of the Austrian Archives Council. The Austrian Academy of Sciences elected him in 1914 as a corresponding member.
The journalist Wolfgang Bretholz (1904–1969) was a son of Berthold Bretholz.
Works and editorships (selection)
- History of Moravia , Brno 1893–95 as digitized version
- Codex Diplomaticus et epistolaris Moraviae XIV, XV (1403–1411), Olomouc 1903
- Libri citationum et sententiarum VII (1490–1503) , Brno 1911
- The History of the City of Brno , Volume 1, Brno, 1911 as digitized version
- Latin palaeography , Leipzig 1912
- Cosmas Pragensis chronica Boemorum . In: Monumenta Germaniae Historica SS NS II, 1923
- History of Bohemia and Moravia until the Přemyslids died out in 1306 , 1912
- History of Bohemia and Moravia , 4 volumes, 1921–1925
- Historical sources of the Grafschaft Glatz , Volume 6, 1927 (Volumes 1–5 were edited by Franz Volkmer .)
- History of the Jews in Moravia in the Middle Ages , Brno 1934
- Rudolf Schreiber : In: New German Biography (NDB). Volume 2, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 1955, ISBN 3-428-00183-4 , p. 601 f. ( ).
- Zdeňka Stoklásková: “Always a good and reliable German Moravian”. On the career of Bertold Bretholz (1862–1936). In: Stefan Albrecht (Ed.): The “Sudeten German Historiography” 1918–1960. On the prehistory and establishment of the Historical Commission of the Sudetenland. Lectures at the conference of the Historical Commission for the Bohemian Lands (formerly: the Sudetenland) in Brno from October 1st to 2nd, 2004 on the occasion of their 50th anniversary (= publications of the Collegium Carolinum. Volume 114). Oldenbourg, Munich 2008, pp. 25-41 ( digitized version ).
- Literature by and about Berthold Bretholz in the catalog of the German National Library
- Literature and other media by and about Berthold Bretholz in the catalog of the National Library of the Czech Republic
- Publications by Berthold Bretholz in the Opac of the Regesta Imperii
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Bretholz, Bertold|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Regional historian of Moravia and director of the National Archives in Brno|
|DATE OF BIRTH||July 9, 1862|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Příbor|
|DATE OF DEATH||November 27, 1936|
|Place of death||Brno|