Carl Rudolf Florin
Carl Rudolf Florin , called Rudolf Florin (born April 5, 1894 in Solna , † September 24, 1965 in Falköping ), was a Swedish paleobotanist and botanist. Its official botanical author's abbreviation is " Florin ".
Florin studied from 1914 to 1918 at Stockholm University with a licentiate degree in 1920. From 1918 he was assistant curator for palaeobotany at the National Museum of Natural History under Thore Gustaf Halle . In 1931 he received his doctorate in Stockholm ( studies on the tribal history of the Coniferales and Cordaitales ) and became a lecturer at Stockholm University. In 1937 he visited the USA. In 1942 he became professor of botany at Stockholm University. From 1944 to 1964 he was director of the Botanical Garden in Stockholm ( Bergianska trädgården ) and thus bore the title of Professor Bergianus . He was also the editor of their in-house magazine Acta Horti Bergiani . He was also professor of systematic botany at Stockholm University from 1947 to 1962.
In 1949 he was a Prather Lecturer at Harvard University .
From 1931 to 1947 he was secretary of the Committee for Nature Conservation of the Swedish Academy of Sciences and from 1953 to 1957 its president. From 1959 to 1964 he was on the Council of the International Association for Plant Taxonomy, from 1954 to 1959 President of the Paleobotany Section of the International Union of Biological Sciences and in 1954 first President of the International Organization of Palaeobotany. 1951 to 1960 he was Vice President of the Botanical Society of Stockholm.
He dealt in particular with fossil conifers , about which he wrote his main work The Conifers of the Upper Carboniferous and Lower Permian from 1938 to 1945 . He first described around two dozen genera, e.g. B. Ernestiodendron and Lebachia (both genera from Utrechtiaceae ).
Honors and Membership
In 1946, Florin was elected to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences . In 1947 he became a member of the Swedish Academy of Sciences and received its gold medal in 1964. In 1958 he received the Darwin Wallace Medal from the Linnean Society of London . In 1960 he became President of the Swedish Botanical Society.
- On the geological history of the Sciadopitineae. In: Svensk Bot. Tidskr. 16 (2): 260-270 (1922).
- The conifer genus Libocedrus Endl. in East Asia. In: Svensk Bot. Tidskr. 24 (1): 117-131 (1930).
- Pilgerodendron, a new genus of conifers from southern Chile. In: Svensk Bot. Tidskr. 24 (1): 132-135 (1930).
- Studies on the tribal history of the Coniferales and Cordaitales. First part: Morphology and epidermal structure of the assimilation organs in recent conifers. In: Kongl. Svenska Vetenskapsakad. Handl. 10 (1) 1-588 (1931).
- The conifers of the Upper Carboniferous and Lower Permian. In: Palaeontographica. B 85: 1-729 (1938-1945 in eight parts).
- The Tertiary Fossil Conifers of South Chile and Their Phytogeographical Significance (1940).
- Evolution in Cordaites and Conifers. In: Acta Hort. Mountain. 15 (2): 285-388 (1951).
- On Metasequoia , living and fossil. In: Bot. Not. 1 (105): 1-29 (1952).
- The female reproductive organs of conifers and taxads . In: Biological Reviews . 29: 367-389 (1954).
- Nomenclatural notes on genera of living gymnosperms. In: Taxon 5 (8): 188-192 (1956).
- The distribution of Conifer and Taxad genera in Time and Space. In: Acta Horti Bergiani 20 (4): 121-312 (1963).
- The distribution of Conifer and Taxad genera in Time and Space; additions and corrections. In: Acta Hort. Mountain. 20 (6): 319-326 (1966).
- Britta Lundblad: Obituary. In: Taxon. Volume 45, March 1966, pp. 85-93
- Elsie Darrah Morrey: Carl Rudolf Florin (1894-1965): A pioneer in fossil-conifer studies. GSA Memoirs, Vol. 185, 1995, pp. 119-126
- Members of the American Academy. Listed by election year, 1900-1949 ( PDF ). Retrieved October 11, 2015
|SURNAME||Florin, Carl Rudolf|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Florin, Rudolf|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Swedish paleobotanist and botanist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||April 5, 1894|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Solna|
|DATE OF DEATH||September 24, 1965|
|Place of death||Falkoping|