Carolco Pictures, Inc. started in 1976 as an independent film production company that produced such successful films as Terminator 2 , the first three films in the Rambo series, Red Heat and Total Recall in the 1980s and 1990s . The company had to file for bankruptcy in 1996 due to the poor grossing results for the films Die Piratenbraut and Showgirls .
The company was founded by two private investors, Mario Kassar and Andrew G. Vajna . Its goal was to become a larger independent film production company for blockbuster films. On their first films, they worked with the Canadian theater magnate Garth Drabinsky as a co-producer.
Vajna already sold his shares in Carolco in 1989 and founded his own production company Cinergi Pictures Entertainment Inc. in November 1989 .
The background music of the Carolco company logo opening credits, which was used for the majority of the films from around the mid-1980s to the company's bankruptcy in the mid-1990s, came from the pen of film composer Jerry Goldsmith and shows parallels to the composition and instrumentation of his score for Rambo II - The order on.
- 1978: Your partner is death (The Silent Partner)
- 1980: The horror (The Changeling)
- 1982: Superstition
- 1982: Rambo (First Blood)
- 1985: Rambo 2 - The Mission (Rambo: First Blood Part II)
- 1987: Angel Heart
- 1987: Extinguished (Extreme Prejudice)
- 1987: Nightflyer (Nightflyers)
- 1987: The Prince of Darkness
- 1988: Rambo III
- 1988: Red Heat
- 1988: The Steel Eagle II (Iron Eagle II)
- 1988: They Live (They Live)
- 1988: Watchers Hunted Mercilessly (Watchers)
- 1989: Deep Star Six
- 1989: The Tracker's Revenge (Pathfinder)
- 1989: Johnny Handsome - The beautiful Johnny (Johnny Handsome)
- 1989: Lock Up - Survival Is Everything (Lock Up)
- 1989: Shocker
- 1990: Land of the Black Sun (Mountains of the Moon)
- 1990: Total Recall (Total Recall)
- 1990: Air America
- 1990: Narrow Margin - 12 hours of fear (Narrow Margin)
- 1990: Jacob's Ladder - In the violence of the hereafter (Jacob's Ladder)
- 1990: Hamlet
- 1991: LA Story
- 1991: The Doors
- 1991: Terminator 2: Judgment Day
- 1992: Basic Instinct
- 1992: Universal Soldier
- 1992: Chaplin
- 1993: Cliffhanger - Only the strong survive (Cliffhanger)
- 1994: An almost perfect relationship (Mona Must Die)
- 1994: Wagons East!
- 1994: Stargate
- 1995: Showgirls
- 1995: The Valley of the last warrior (Last of the dogmas)
- 1995: The Pirate Bride (Cutthroat Island)
- Lexicon of film terms
- Carolco logo opening credits with music by Jerry Goldsmith . youtube.com. Retrieved May 9, 2015.