Christian Smekal attended the Stella Matutina private high school of the Jesuit order in Feldkirch in Vorarlberg . He then completed a commercial apprenticeship in Hamburg . In 1958 he began to study economics at the University of Innsbruck , which he completed in 1961 with a degree in economics . 1963 doctorate he became Dr. rer. oec. During his studies he was a research assistant at the Institute for Economics. In 1968 he completed his habilitation with a thesis on the financial economy of intermediate groups in the field of public finance.
In 1970 he was appointed associate professor and in 1972 full professor of finance at the University of Innsbruck, where he remained until his retirement . From 1979 to 1981 he acted as dean of the Faculty of Social Sciences and from 1995 to 1999 as rector of the University of Innsbruck. His predecessor and successor as rector was the Germanist Hans Moser . From 2003 to 2005 Smekal was Chairman of the Senate of the University of Innsbruck, and in 2005 he was succeeded by Ivo Hajnal . From 2008 he was a member of the University Council of the University of Innsbruck, whose chairman he was elected for the term of office from March 2013 to February 2018.
Christian Smekal was chairman of the Austrian Alpine Club , member of the Tyrolean sports council, the Tyrolean state institute and the regional planning conference of the state of Tyrol as well as the deputy chairman of the supervisory board of Hypo Tirol Bank . In addition, from 1998 he was Vice President of the Academy of German-Italian Studies . His academic focus includes problems of public debt , tax reform and financial equalization .
- 1968: Cardinal Innitzer Prize
- 1996: Gold Medal of Honor of the Diocese of Innsbruck
- 1997: Decoration of Honor of the State of Tyrol
- 1999: Cross of Merit of the City of Innsbruck
- 2018: Ring of Honor of the University of Innsbruck
- 1969: The financial economy of intermediate groups , Österreichische Kommissionsbuchhandlung, Innsbruck 1969
- 1977: Escape from the budget , Jupiter-Verlag, Vienna 1977
- 1979: Follow-up costs of public investments: investigated at elementary schools, secondary schools, kindergartens, retirement and nursing homes in the Tyrolean municipalities , together with Erich Thöni and Günther Lehar, Jupiter-Verlag, Vienna 1979
- 1982: Municipal enterprises between economic efficiency and public order , together with Siegbert Morscher , Österreichischer Wirtschaftsverlag, Vienna 1982, ISBN 978-3-85212-026-3
- 1982: Social security financing problems , together with Mark Hauser and Winfried Schmähl , Sparkassenverlag, Vienna 1982
- 1985: The long-term development of public finance in Austria in the period 1950–1983 , together with Manfried Gantner , Braumüller-Verlag, Vienna 1985, ISBN 978-3-7003-0608-5
- 1987: Contributions to economic problems of federalism , together with Guy Kirsch and Horst Zimmermann , writings of the Verein für Socialpolitik, Volume 166, Duncker and Humblot, Berlin 1987, ISBN 978-3-428-06272-0
- 1989: Reduction of working hours in the public service: Effects on the Austrian federal budget , together with Stephan Fickl, Signum-Verlag, Vienna 1989, ISBN 978-3-85436-089-6
- 1996: Chambers put to the test: comparative analyzes of institutional functional conditions , together with Anton Pelinka , series of publications by the Center for Applied Political Research, Volume 10, Signum-Verlag, Vienna 1996, ISBN 978-3-85436-198-5
- 2000: Austria's federalism too expensive? , together with Erich Thöni, Institute for Research on Federalism, Innsbruck 2000, ISBN 978-3-901965-07-4 k
- 2001: Globalization: globalized economy and national economic policy , together with Theresia Theurl , Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen 2001, ISBN 978-3-16-147482-8
- Tiroler Tageszeitung: University ring of honor for Christian Smekal . Article dated June 28, 2018, accessed March 9, 2020.
- Head of the Week: Em. O.Univ.-Prof. Dr. Christian Smekal . Article from January 22, 2007, accessed on July 8, 2018.
- orf.at: Professors: Farewell and new appointment . Article dated December 7, 2005, accessed July 8, 2018.
- University of Innsbruck: Ring of Honor for Christian Smekal . Article dated June 28, 2018, accessed July 8, 2018.
- City of Innsbruck: Cross of Merit (PDF; 272 KB)
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian finance scientist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1937|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Seefeld in Tyrol|