Parnas is a pioneer in software technology . He developed the module concept which, with its secret principle ( data encapsulation ), is an essential basis of today's object-oriented programming languages . Parnas received his PhD from Carnegie Mellon University , where he also worked as a professor. He has also taught at the University of North Carolina , Darmstadt University of Technology , the University of Victoria , Queen's University in Kingston, Ontario, McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario, and the University of Limerick in Ireland. He now lives in Ottawa as a Canadian citizen .
He also campaigned against the US SDI program.
On June 5, 1985 David Parnas was appointed to the SDIO ( Strategic Defense Initiative Organization ) committee, but resigned from the committee on June 28. In an open letter , he stated that he fundamentally supports military research. However, he considers the SDI program to be useless.
He justified this as follows:
- According to Parnas, computer technology is not able to fulfill the tasks of the SDI program. In particular, it is problematic that the system has to detect enemy missiles whose precise properties are not known. In addition, it is impossible to test the system sufficiently. Since potential opponents will still prepare themselves for the defense to work, SDI leads to an escalation of the arms race.
- According to Parnas, the SDIO was unsuitable for financing and managing research.
Indeed, the SDI program is now considered a failure.
- ACM Best Paper Award 1979
- Most Influential Paper award , International Conference on Software Engineering
- Honorary doctorate from the IT department, ETH Zurich , 1986
- Fellow of the ACM (Association for Computing Machinery), 1994
- Honorary doctorate from the Faculté des Sciences Appliquées, Université catholique de Louvain , Belgium, 1996
- ACM SIGSOFT Outstanding Research award 1998
- Member of the Royal Irish Academy , 2006
- GI Fellow, since September 2008
- Fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers ( IEEE ), 2009
- Honorary doctorate from the Technical University of Vienna (Dr. Tech.HC), 2011
- Curriculum Vitae: David Lorge Parnas, P.Eng. (PDF) on ec.europa.eu.
- David Lorge Parnas: Software Aspects of Strategic Defense Systems . In: Communications of the ACM . tape 28 , no. December 12 , 1985, pp. 1326-1335 , doi : 10.1145 / 214956.214961 .
- Members: David Lorge Parnas. Royal Irish Academy, accessed May 11, 2019 .
- Announcement of the GI about the appointment of Parnas as a GI Fellow ( Memento of the original of August 13, 2011 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and not yet checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. (PDF; 65 kB)
- TU Wien: Honorary doctorates ( memento of the original from February 21, 2016 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. . Retrieved March 26, 2015.
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Parnas, David Lorge (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American pioneer of software technology|
|DATE OF BIRTH||February 10, 1941|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Plattsburgh , New York|