The 36 chambers of the Shaolin
|German title||The 36 chambers of the Shaolin|
少林 卅六 房
少林 三 十六 房
The 36th Chamber of Shaolin
|Country of production||Hong Kong|
|Age rating||FSK 16|
Run Run Shaw
Hung Lung Geung
Yen Hae Li
The 36 chambers of the Shaolin ( Chinese 少林 卅六 房 , Pinyin Shàolín Sàliù Fáng , Jyutping Siu 3 lam 4 Saa 1 luk 6 Fong 4 also 少林 三 十六 房 , Shàolín Sānshíliù Fáng , Jyutping Siu 3 lam 4 Saam 1 sap 6 luk 6 Fong 4 ) is from Hong Kong originating martial arts film from the year 1978 .
China during the Qing Dynasty (1644–1911). The Manchurians (in the German re-dubbing they are called Tatars ) rule and enslave the people with an iron hand. A young student named Liu Yu-de ( 劉裕德 / 刘裕德 ) observes the terrible deeds and joins the rebels. But these are quickly tracked down and wiped out by the government, including Liu Yu-de's father. Only Liu Yu-de escapes and decides to go to the Shaolin Monastery to learn the famous Shaolin Kung Fu .
When he arrived at the Shaolin monastery, he was given the religious name San De ( 三 德 , Sāndé , Jyutping Saam 1 dak 1 - "Three Virtues"). Now, in order to learn Kung Fu, he has to go through 35 chambers. A certain aspect of Kung Fu is trained in each chamber, and only those who pass the examination of the chamber are allowed to advance to the next chamber. Liu Yu-de manages this in a considerable amount of time and is a trained Shaolin fighter at the end of the 35 chambers. The management of the monastery allows him to take over the management of a chamber after a final examination, with the exception of the 35th chamber, for which his knowledge of Buddhism is not yet sufficient. He would like to add a 36th to the 35 chambers, which would allow non-monastery members to be trained. He wants to give the oppressed people the opportunity to defend themselves against the tyranny.
He is ordered to collect donations because his idea of the 36th Chamber violates the Shaolin Monastery principles of not interfering in the interests of others. The abbots are very well aware that Liu Yu-de will break the rule that Shaolin Kung Fu may only be used to defend the monastery. Instead of collecting donations, he immediately begins to help oppressed citizens and to get them to his side. Soon after, Liu Yu-de can take revenge on his father's murderers.
In the end, he received the presidency of the eponymous 36th Shaolin Chamber, which has now been approved.
“Perfectly staged martial arts film that offers insights into the philosophy of Kung Fu as well as comments on Chinese domestic politics of the late 1970s. Remarkable because of the approach to problematization within the genre. "
- 1980: The return to the 36 chambers of the Shaolin ( 少林 搭棚 大師 / 少林 搭棚 大师 , Shàolín Dāpéng Dàshī )
- 1985: The heirs of the 36 Shaolin chambers ( 霹靂 十傑 / 霹雳 十杰 , Pīlì Shí Jié )
- 1985: Crazy Shaolin Disciple ( 弟子 也 瘋狂 / 弟子 也 疯狂 , Dìzǐ yě Fēngkuáng )
- The 36th Chamber of Shaolin in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- The 36 chambers of the Shaolin in the online film database
- The 36th Chamber of Shaolin - 少林 卅六 房 (1978) in the Chinese Movie Database (Chinese, English)
- The 36th Chamber of Shaolin - 少林 卅六 房 (1978) in the Hong Kong Movie Database (Chinese, English)
- The 36 chambers of the Shaolin. In: Lexicon of International Films . Film service , accessed March 2, 2017 .
- "Return to the 36th Chamber / The Return of Master Killer (1980) - (少林 搭棚 大師 or 少林 三 十六 房 續集)": (Chinese, English)  On: hkmdb.com, accessed on 8 May 2016 - Online
- "Disciples of the 36th Chamber (1985) - (霹靂 十傑)": (Chinese, English)  On: hkmdb.com, accessed on May 8, 2016 - Online
- "Crazy Shaolin Disciples / Enter the 36th Chamber of Shaolin (1985) - (弟子 也 瘋狂 or 名師 出 低 徒)": (Chinese, English)  On: hkmdb.com, accessed on May 8, 2016 - On-line