Dietmar Schulz (Wall victim)
Dietmar Schulz (born October 21, 1939 - † November 25, 1963 in Berlin ) was a victim of the Berlin Wall . While trying to overcome the wall between the districts of Pankow and Wedding , he was hit by an S-Bahn in the border area and fatally injured.
Dietmar Schulz lived with his fiancée in the East Berlin district of Pankow, not far from the sector border with West Berlin . On the evening of November 25, 1963, drunk, he left the apartment on Gaillardstrasse to flee via the border fortifications to Wedding. He had already expressed thoughts of fleeing accordingly months earlier. As was determined later, he reached the embankment of the S-Bahn line between the Pankow and Schönhauser Allee stations via a garden plot . This route led directly through the border area on a section near the Bösebrücke . Dietmar Schulz must have already overcome one of the hinterland security walls of the extensive area in this area, when he was found around 9:20 p.m. about 40 meters south of Maximilianstraße on the track with heavily bleeding head injuries. After being transported to the People's Police Hospital , he died a little later from his injuries. The GDR authorities classified the incident as a fatal accident and delegated the further investigations to the transport police .
Dietmar Schulz's fiancée contacted a West German after his funeral, who informed the western authorities about the incident. The central registration office of the state justice administrations in Salzgitter then conducted investigations in April 1964. After reunification, investigations by the Berlin public prosecutor's office in 1991 showed that suspicions against the armed organs of the GDR could not be substantiated.
His name is on the memorial stone for the victims of the Berlin Wall on the corner of Swinemünder Strasse and Bernauer Strasse . He is also remembered at the Window of Remembrance at the Berlin Wall Memorial , with a picture of him in one of the windows.
- Hans-Hermann Hertle , Maria Nooke : The victims of the Berlin Wall 1961 - 1989. A biographical handbook. Edited by the Center for Contemporary History Potsdam and the Berlin Wall Foundation.
Links, Berlin 2009, ISBN 978-3-86153-517-1 .
- Klaus Kratzel was hit by an S-Bahn in the same section of the border while attempting to escape and was fatally injured.
- Volker Frommann died in 1973 while trying to escape as a result of jumping out of a moving S-Bahn in the same section of the border.
- Thomas Taubmann was run over and fatally injured by a moving freight train while attempting to escape in the same section of the border in 1981.
- Ingolf Diederichs got stuck on the train while trying to escape in the same section of the border when he jumped from a moving S-Bahn and was fatally injured.
- Brief portrait of Dietmar Schulz at chronik-der-mauer.de
- Photo of the memorial stone for the victims of the wall, Swinemünder Strasse in Berlin
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German casualty from the Berlin Wall|
|DATE OF BIRTH||October 21, 1939|
|DATE OF DEATH||November 25, 1963|
|Place of death||Berlin|