Barell was the son of the cloth merchant Benjamin from Gressoney-Saint-Jean ( Aosta Valley ) and Anna Hügi . After studying chemistry at the universities of Zurich and Bern , Barell was hired by Fritz Hoffmann-La Roche in 1896 in his newly founded chemical company F. Hoffmann-La Roche , from which today's global corporation “ Roche ” later developed Has. Barell held various positions in the company for over 56 years, most recently as Chairman of the Board of Directors until 1952 . Barell was very interested in architecture. He had his private house built by Otto Rudolf Salvisberg , who also worked for the company.
On March 21, 1947, he and his company “F. Hoffmann-La Roche & Co. AG "the" Emil Barell Foundation for the Training of Chemical Engineers " " with special knowledge in apparatus engineering (chemical engineers) at the ETH Zurich " with starting capital of SFR 500,000. There is also the “Emil and Viktoria Barell Foundation” based in St. Gallen , which pays out an annual amount of SFR 3,000 to “support organizations for the upbringing of children and the care of the elderly” .
- Honorary doctorate (Dr. med. Hc) from the University of Zurich
- Honorary doctorate (Dr. phil. Hc) from the University of Basel
- Honorary doctorate (Dr. rer. Pol. Hc) from the University of Basel
- Honorary doctorate (Dr.-Ing.hc) from ETH Zurich
- The German branch in 79639 Grenzach-Wyhlen has its headquarters in Emil-Barell-Straße
- Publications by and about Emil Barell in the Helveticat catalog of the Swiss National Library
- Literature by and about Emil Barell in the catalog of the German National Library
- Literature list in the online catalog of the Berlin State Library
- Statutes of the Barell Foundation as PDF file (61 kB)
- Niklaus Landolt: Emil Christoph Barell. In: Historical Lexicon of Switzerland .
- Two portrait photos
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Barell, Emil Christoph|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Swiss chemist and entrepreneur|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 13, 1874|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Schaffhausen , Switzerland|
|DATE OF DEATH||March 18, 1953|
|Place of death||Basel , Switzerland|