Eugenio Scarpellini (born January 8, 1954 in Verdellino , Bergamo province ; † July 15, 2020 in El Alto , Bolivia ) was an Italian clergyman and Roman Catholic bishop of El Alto (Bolivia).
Eugenio Scarpellini was ordained a priest for the diocese of Bergamo on June 17, 1978 . From 1998 he worked as a pastor and missionary in Bolivia. He was the National Director of the Papal Mission Societies in Bolivia and the organizer of the fifth Inter-American Mission Congress.
Pope Benedict XVI appointed him on July 15, 2010 titular bishop of Bida and auxiliary bishop in El Alto . The Bishop of El Alto, Jesús Juárez Párraga SDB , donated him episcopal ordination on September 9 of the same year ; Co-consecrators were Francesco Beschi , Bishop of Bergamo , and Edmundo Luis Flavio Abastoflor Montero , Archbishop of La Paz . On July 25, 2013, Pope Francis appointed him Bishop of El Alto. His inauguration followed on August 31, 2013. He was General Secretary of the Bolivian Bishops' Conference from 2012 to 2015.
Eugenio Scarpellini was an important representative in Bolivian society who contributed to the pacification of the country. After the presidential election in autumn 2019 and the resignation of President Evo Morales , Scarpellini played a mediating role. Obituaries and condolences followed from the interim President Jeanine Áñez , Ex-President Morales, Senate President Eva Copa and the representative of the United Nations in Bolivia, Jean Arnault. Scarpellini had numerous contacts with various aid organizations in Germany and maintained these networks with visits.
Eugenio Scarpellini died on July 15, 2020 at the age of 66 as a result of COVID-19 ; exactly ten years to the day after his appointment as bishop.
- Entry on Eugenio Scarpellini on catholic-hierarchy.org
- Entry on Eugenio Scarpellini on gcatholic.org (English)
- ↑ a b "Coronavirus, morto vescovo italiano monsigor Scarpellini: era in Bolivia" on ilmessaggero.it from July 15, 2020, accessed on July 18, 2020
- ↑ "Bishop Wilmer is dismayed by the death of Bolivian Bishop Eugenio Scarpellini" on bistum-hildesheim.de on July 17, 2020, accessed on July 18, 2020
- ↑ “Politicians and human rights activists pay tribute to Eugenio Scarpellini. First bishop in Bolivia died of Corona. ” On domradio.de from July 16, 2020, accessed on July 18, 2020
|Jesús Juárez Párraga SDB||
Bishop of El Alto
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Italian clergyman, Roman Catholic bishop of El Alto|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 8, 1954|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Verdellino , Bergamo Province , Italy|
|DATE OF DEATH||15th July 2020|
|Place of death||El Alto , Bolivia|