Frederik Jacobus Johannes Buytendijk
Frederik Jacobus Johannes Buytendijk [ˈbœjtəndɛjk] (born April 29, 1887 in Breda , † October 21, 1974 in Nijmegen ), occasionally also written as FJJ Buijtendijk ; Dutch biologist was a Dutch anthropologist , psychologist , physiologist and sports medicine specialist, as well as one of the founders of psychological anthropology . He is also considered one of the ancestors of cybernetic anthropology .
The stations of education, research and teaching at Buytendijk were the universities of Amsterdam , Groningen , Utrecht , Naples , Cambridge as well as Berlin , Giessen , Bonn , Cologne and Basel . The contact with Hans Driesch and especially Max Scheler as well as his students and the environment in which impulses from phenomenology combined with questions of philosophical anthropology , Gestalt theory and theoretical biology and behavioral research was important for his career . He had been friends with Helmuth Plessner since 1918; They wrote some essays that were central to both thinking together (see below, literature). In the 1920s he also made friends with Viktor von Weizsäcker and Victor-Emil von Gebsattel .
Buytendijk was Professor of Physiology at Groningen University from 1925 . He was significantly involved in sports medicine research, co-founder of the World Association for Sports Medicine , Congress President of the 1st World Congress for Sports Medicine in 1928 and then President of AIMS .
During the German occupation of the Netherlands in World War II , Buytendijk was wanted by the Gestapo and he had to go into hiding. From 1946 until his retirement in 1957, Buytendijk was professor for general psychology in Utrecht. He then received an extraordinary professorship for theoretical and comparative psychology in Nijmegen and a visiting professorship for comparative psychology at the University of Leuven .
In 1937 he left the Reformed Church in the Netherlands and turned to the Catholic Church. Until his death he was chairman of the Catholic Association for Public Spiritual Health.
- Prolegomena of an anthropological physiology. Otto Müller Verlag, Salzburg 1991, ISBN 3-921180-03-1 (Original title: Prolegomena van een anthropological physiology. ). (Utrecht et al. 1965; first edition of the German translation: Salzburg 1967).
- Psychology of the novel. Otto Müller Verlag, Salzburg 1966.
- with Herbert Plügge and Paul Christian : About human movement as a unity of nature and spirit (= contributions to teaching and research in physical education. Volume 14). K. Hofmann, Schorndorf near Stuttgart 1963, .
- Education in humility . Henn, Ratingen 1962, . (first: Leipzig 1928).
- The human: the way to its understanding. Koehler, Stuttgart 1958, .
- Human and animal. A contribution to comparative psychology. (= Rowohlt's German Encyclopedia. Volume 74). Reinbek near Hamburg 1958.
- The taste. In: Essence and Reality of Man. Festschrift for Helmuth Plessner. Göttingen 1957, pp. 42-57.
- General theory of human posture and movement . Springer, 1956, .
- with Hans Waltmann : Encounter of the sexes. Werkbund-Verlag, 1953,
- The football game . Werkbund-Verlag, Würzburg 1953, .
- The woman: nature, appearance, existence. (Translated by Auguste Schorn ). Cologne 1953: Bachem [Original title: De vrouw ]
- About the pain . Medicine. Verlag Huber, 1948, .
- with Helmuth Plessner : The physiological explanation of behavior. A criticism of Pavlov's theory. In: Acta Biotheoretica. Series A, Vol. 1, Pars III, Leiden 1935, pp. 151-171; included in: Helmuth Plessner: Collected writings. VIII, Frankfurt am Main 1980, pp. 7-32.
- The essence and meaning of the game. The play of humans and animals as a manifestation of the life instincts . Wolff, Berlin 1933.
- Sports medical examinations at the IX. Olympic games . Springer, Berlin (with contributions to sports medicine by H. Herxheimer, W. Kohlrausch et al.) 1929.
- with Helmuth Plessner: The interpretation of facial expression. A contribution to the teaching of the consciousness of the other self. In: Philosophischer Anzeiger. 1925 (I), pp. 72-126; included in: Helmuth Plessner: Collected writings. VII, Frankfurt am Main 1980, pp. 67-129.
- K. Tittel, J. Wesseling: 75 Years FIMS. Druckhaus Gera 2005, ISBN 3-9809803-7-5 , pp. 9-13.
- Herbert Plügge Plügge Rhein-Neckar-Wiki
- Literature by and about Frederik Jacobus Johannes Buytendijk in the catalog of the German National Library
|SURNAME||Buytendijk, Frederik Jacobus Johannes|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Buijtendijk, FJJ|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Dutch biologist, anthropologist, psychologist, physiologist and sports medicine specialist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||April 29, 1887|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Breda|
|DATE OF DEATH||October 21, 1974|
|Place of death||Nijmegen|