Bachmayer studied paleontology at the University of Vienna and received his doctorate in 1940 . Since 1939 he was in the Wehrmacht, from 1942 to 1945 as a military geologist in Norway. From 1949 until his retirement he was employed at the Natural History Museum in Vienna. There he became director of the geological-paleontological department in 1966 and first director of the museum in 1971. He was buried at the Vienna Central Cemetery .
Bachmayer dealt with the paleontology of Austria and wrote about 150 scientific papers on it.
- 1965 professional title professor
- 1968 Science Prize of the State of Lower Austria Promotion Prize
- 1976 corresponding member of the Austrian Academy of Sciences
- Austrian Cross of Honor for Science and Art 1st Class
- with Karl Friedl : Petroleum in Austria . Vienna 1957
- A fossil turtle remnant (Clemmys ukoi nov. Spec.) From Upper Pannonian freshwater deposits from Gramatneusiedl (Southern Vienna Basin) . In: Annals of the Natural History Museum in Vienna 61, 1957, pp. 78–89.
- Pseudosaccocoma (Crinoidea) from the coral reef limestone (Obermalm) from Ernstbrunn (Lower Austria) . In: Paläontologische Zeitschrift 32, 1958, pp. 40–51.
- The calappids (Crustaceae, Decapoda) from the tortonic deposits of the Vienna basin . In: Annals of the Natural History Museum in Vienna 65, 1962, pp. 39–46.
- with Heinz Albert Kollmann and Helmuth Zapfe : Treasures in the ground . Vienna 1964 (2nd edition 1969)
- with Kurt Ehrenberg , Walter Grünberg : Pathological remains of Ursus spelaeus. I. Examples of vertebral ankyloses . In: Annalen des Naturhistorisches Museum in Wien 79, 1975, pp. 23–36 online (PDF; 8.2 MB)
- Helmuth Zapfe : Friedrich Bachmayer. In: Almanac of the Austrian Academy of Sciences for 1989/90. 140th year, Vienna 1990, pp. 315-320.
- Literature by and about Friedrich Bachmayer in the catalog of the German National Library
- Prof. Dr. Friedrich Bachmayer on ZOBODAT
- Entry on Friedrich Bachmayer in the Austria Forum (in the AEIOU Austria Lexicon )
- Friedrich Bachmayer grave site , Vienna, Zentralfriedhof, Group 28, Row 12, No. 56.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian paleontologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||September 10, 1913|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Kamegg|
|DATE OF DEATH||July 25, 1989|
|Place of death||Vienna|