Friedrich Maria Krahe
life and work
The son of the architect Peter Joseph Krahe (1758–1840) received his training at the building and art academies in Berlin and Munich from 1826 to 1828. He worked as a state construction manager from 1836, before becoming a district architect in 1843 and later a building officer in Braunschweig . The draft he submitted in 1857 for the new court theater on Steinweg was not implemented. Krahe retired in 1872; he died in 1888 on a trip from Munich to Braunschweig.
Krahe carried out renovations of several historical buildings in Braunschweig. The Altstadtrathaus (1841 to 1852) with the neighboring Autorshof , the Alte Waage (1855 to 1862), the Gewandhaus and the Brunswick Cathedral were restored by him. In the neo-Romanesque style, Krahe restored the St. Anne's Church in Heßlingen and the Evangelical Church in Veltheim (1870).
As new buildings were built according to his plans
- in the years 1835/36 the neo-Gothic Villa Hörstel on Augusttorwall , which is now the Braunschweig Municipal Music School .
- the Querum old church, consecrated in 1864
- between 1866 and 1869 the arched school building for the Martino-Katharineum Braunschweig and the Realgymnasium.
- and the shell of the Maria Magdalena Church in the Thedinghausen office until 1868 . It was completed under the supervision of Ernst Wiehe and inaugurated in November 1870.
- Norman-Mathias Pingel: Krahe, Friedrich Maria. In: Luitgard Camerer , Manfred Garzmann , Wolf-Dieter Schuegraf (eds.): Braunschweiger Stadtlexikon . Joh. Heinr. Meyer Verlag, Braunschweig 1992, ISBN 3-926701-14-5 , p. 133 .
- Designs and works
- Our old church. on the website of the Evangelical Lutheran Church Congregation St. Lukas, accessed on September 3, 2017
- Old scales. on braunschweig.de
- Martino-Katharineum. on altstadt-bs.de
- Harald Duin: History of the rough interventions - Peter Joseph Krahe's son complained about the destruction of the wall structure in the 19th century. on braunschweiger-zeitung.de
- Villa Hörstel. - Salve Hospes house. on m.braunschweig.de
- Krahe on braunschweig.de
- Falko Rost: The architect Ernst Wiehe (1842-1894): Culture transfer between Braunschweig and Thedinghausen. In: Braunschweigische Heimat, Appelhans: Braunschweig 2007, p. 8ff.
|SURNAME||Krahe, Friedrich Maria|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German architect|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 8, 1804|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Braunschweig|
|DATE OF DEATH||August 29, 1888|
|Place of death||between Munich and Braunschweig|