George Springer (mathematician)
Springer studied at Case Western Reserve University (then Case Institute of Technology) with a bachelor's degree in 1945 and Brown University with a master's degree in 1946. He received his doctorate in 1949 under Lars Ahlfors at Harvard University ( The Coefficient Problem for Univalent Mappings of the Exterior of the Unit Circle ). From 1949 to 1951 he was a Moore Instructor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology . 1951 to 1954 he was Assistant Professor at Northwestern University and 1954/55 as Fulbright Lecturer and visiting professor at the University of Münster with Heinrich Behnke . From 1955 he was an associate professor and later professor at the University of Kansas . In 1961/62 he was Fulbright Lecturer and Visiting Professor at the University of Würzburg and in 1961 Visiting Professor in Sao Paulo .
From 1964 he was professor of mathematics and from 1987 for computer science at Indiana University in Bloomington. From 1967 to 1981 he headed the mathematics faculty and was deputy dean of the university (associate dean for research and development) from 1973 to 1980 and acting dean ( acting dean ) for research and graduate development from 1980 to 1982 .
In 1971/72 he was visiting professor at Imperial College London .
He began as a function theorist (for one and more complex variables) and wrote a textbook on Riemann surfaces . Later he turned to computer science, where he dealt with programming languages.
- Introduction to topology , Münster, Aschendorff 1955
- Introduction to Riemann Surfaces , Addison-Wesley 1957, 2nd edition, Chelsea 1981, 3rd edition, American Mathematical Society, 2001
- with Daniel P. Friedman: Scheme and the Art of Programming , MIT Press 1989, 4th edition 1994
- Homepage, Indiana University
- Literature by and about George Springer (mathematician) in the bibliographic database WorldCat
- Life data from American Men and Women of Science , Thomson Gale 2005
- George Springer in the Mathematics Genealogy Project (English)
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American mathematician and computer scientist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||September 3, 1924|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Cleveland (Ohio)|
|DATE OF DEATH||February 18, 2019|