Gerhard Paul (historian)
Gerhard Paul studied social sciences and history from 1969 to 1975 at the Universities of Bonn , Frankfurt am Main and Hanover . Between 1975 and 1984 he worked in the field of adult education and as a writer and director of television documentaries. In 1984 he received his doctorate from Kassel University. rer. pole. From 1984 to 1994 he was a lecturer at the Otto Suhr Institute of the Free University of Berlin in the field of "Historical Foundations of Politics", where he also completed his habilitation in 1990 . At the same time he was from 1989 to 1992 at the University of Saarland on the by the Volkswagen Foundation participated funded research project "resistance and denial in the Saarland 1935-1945". He also worked from 1992 to 1995 on the project "The Gestapo and German Society" at the Free University of Berlin, which was also funded by the Volkswagen Foundation.
Since 1994 Paul was professor for history and its didactics at the University of Flensburg. From 1996 to 2000 he conceived and directed the research project “Social History of Terror” at the University of Flensburg. In 2006 he was spokesman for Department V and a member of the Senate at the University of Flensburg. Paul was interviewed several times as a historian in various television programs, including for the Dutch documentary: The Days after Hitler from 2014. After 44 semesters of teaching, he retired from university at the end of the 2016 summer semester.
In 2020 his book Pictures of a Dictatorship was published. On the visual history of the> Third Reich < , in which he not only interprets the imagery of National Socialism, but also asks about its production and reception conditions.
- 2004: International Book Prize "The Historical Book 2004" of the Internet forum H-Soz-u-Kult for Images of War - War of Images. The visualization of modern war.
- Riot of the pictures. The Nazi propaganda before 1933. Bonn 1990. ISBN 3-8012-5015-6 .
- State terror and social brutality. The Gestapo in Schleswig-Holstein. With the collaboration of Erich Koch. Results-Verlag, Hamburg 1996, ISBN 3-87916-037-6 .
- “Landunter!” Schleswig-Holstein and the swastika. Essays. Westphalian steam boat, Münster 2001, ISBN 3-89691-507-X .
- with Bettina Goldberg, sailor suit, Star of David. Pictures of Jewish life from the provinces . Neumünster, Wachholtz, 2002, ISBN 3-529-06144-1
- Images of war - war of images. The visualization of modern war. Schöningh, Paderborn 2004; ISBN 3-506-71739-1 . Fink, Munich; ISBN 3-7705-4053-0 .
- The image war. Stagings, pictures and perspectives of the "Operation Irakische Freiheit" , Wallstein, Göttingen 2005, ISBN 3-89244-980-5 .
- The story behind the photo. Authenticity, iconization and overwriting of an image from the Vietnam War . In: Zeithistorische Forschungen / Studies in Contemporary History . 2 (2005), No. 2, pp. 224–245 ( online , accessed on June 16, 2011).
- The HB male - advertising figure of the economic miracle . In: Zeithistorische Forschungen / Studies in Contemporary History . 4 (2007), issue 1 + 2 ( online , accessed on June 16, 2011).
- The Mao portrait. Ruler image, protest symbol and art icon . In: Zeithistorische Forschungen / Studies in Contemporary History . 6 (2009), Issue 1, pp. 58-84 ( online , accessed June 16, 2011).
- The visual age. Punkt & Pixel , Wallstein, Göttingen 2015, ISBN 978-3-8353-1675-1 .
- Images of a dictatorship. On the visual history of the> Third Reich < , Wallstein, Göttingen 2020, ISBN 978-3-8353-3607-0 .
- with Miriam Gillis-Carlebach : Menorah and swastika. On the history of the Jews in and from Schleswig-Holstein, Lübeck and Altona (1918–1998) . Wachholtz, Neumünster 1998.
- The perpetrators of the Shoah . Fanatic National Socialists or just normal Germans? Wallstein, Göttingen 2002, ISBN 3-89244-503-6 .
- with Klaus-Michael Mallmann : The Gestapo in World War II: "Home Front" and Occupied Europe. Scientific Book Society , Darmstadt 2000 & Primus, Darmstadt 2000, ISBN 3-89678-188-X .
- with Klaus-Michael Mallmann: The Gestapo. Myth and Reality. Primus, Darmstadt 2003, ISBN 3-89678-482-X and WBG .
- with Klaus-Michael Mallmann: Careers of Violence. National Socialist perpetrator biographies. WBG 2004, 2nd unchanged edition 2005, ISBN 3-534-16654-X ; unv. special edition WBG 2011 & Primus, Darmstadt 2011, ISBN 978-3-89678-726-2 .
- Visual history . A study book. V&R , Göttingen 2006, ISBN 978-3-525-36289-1 .
- The century of images. Picture atlas. V&R, Göttingen
- with Broder Schwensen (Ed.): May '45. End of the war in Flensburg. Flensburg 2015.
- Kürschner's German Scholars Calendar , 24th Edition, Berlin / Boston 2012, Vol. 3, p. 2935.
- Literature by and about Gerhard Paul in the catalog of the German National Library
- Contributions by Gerhard Paul in contemporary historical research
- Sen. Prof. Dr. Gerhard Paul (pens.) , At the European University of Flensburg
- Gerhard Paul: The Last Spook , in: Die Zeit No. 19, May 4, 2005, series Zeitlaufte.
- Gerhard Paul: Visual History , in: Docupedia-Zeitgeschichte , February 11, 2010.
- Flensburger Tageblatt : Flensburg's most famous professor stops , from: June 20, 2016; Retrieved on: June 29, 2017.
- Niklas Zimmermann: Pictures in National Socialism: The portrait of the Führer in the Herrgottswinkel . In: FAZ.NET . ISSN 0174-4909 ( faz.net [accessed June 12, 2020]).
- The perpetrators portrayed: Gustav Freiherr von Mauchenheim called Bechtolsheim , a Wehrmacht general who organized the Holocaust (by Hannes Heer ); Heinrich Bergmann , a German criminalist career (by Ruth Bettina Birn ); Adolf von Bomhard ; Oskar Dirlewanger ; Erich Ehrlinger ; Hans Gaier , a police captain in the Government General (by Jacek Andrzej Mlynarczyk); Curt von Gottberg ; Heinrich Hamann ; Georg Heuser ; Use Koch ; Hans Krüger 1909–1988, the 'King of Stanislau ' (by Dieter Pohl ); Gustav Lombard ; Georg Michalsen ; Walter Nord , police soldier and ideological warrior (by Martin Hölzl); Rudolf Pallmann , leader of the military police department 683 (from G. Paul); Walter Reder ; Heinz Seetzen ; Gertrud Slottke , an employee in the Dutch Jewish Department of the Security Police ; Ernst Szymanowski alias Biberstein; Willi Tessmann , commandant of the Fuhlsbüttel police prison; Christian Wirth ; Paul Zapp and Egon Zill . - English version of the chap. from Pohl to Krüger: online. (PDF file; 127 kB) Complete table of contents, all authors, page references .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 15, 1951|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Biedenkopf|