Gregor Kalivoda (* 1949 in Wertingen near Augsburg ) is a German linguist . From 1987 to 2011 he was managing director of the DFG project " Historical Dictionary of Rhetoric ". Since 2012 he has been a research assistant and lecturer at the "Seminar for General Rhetoric " at the University of Tübingen .
Kalivoda studied German and political science at the Pedagogical University in Weingarten from 1970 to 1974 and then worked for two years in the school service. From 1976 to 1980 he completed a master’s degree at the University of Konstanz in the subjects of theoretical linguistics , modern German literature and political science. During this course he received a scholarship from the German National Academic Foundation. After his master's degree he worked as a research assistant at the University / GHS Kassel . In 1986 Kalivoda received his doctorate with a thesis on "Parliamentary Rhetoric and Argumentation". Since 1987 he has worked as a research assistant at the seminar for general rhetoric at the University of Tübingen in teaching, research and science organization.
His main fields of research are: the connection between rhetoric, grammar and logic, rhetoric and pragma / text linguistics, political rhetoric, interdisciplinary topical research, stylistics, rhetoric and art history, legal rhetoric, the scientific concept of rhetoric, rhetoric and homiletics.
Together with Hartwig Kalverkämper (Humboldt University Berlin) and Gert Ueding (University of Tübingen), Kalivoda founded a new research and publication project in 2014: The handbooks rhetoric with a volume of 13 volumes of approx. 600 pages each. The individual volumes document the current state of research in the relevant subject. The volumes on literary rhetoric and media rhetoric have now been published. In 2017, the volumes on the subjects of visual rhetoric, ancient rhetoric as well as rhetoric and philosophy will be published. An international group of authors is involved in this project. The manuals are published by Verlag de Gruyter and the Wissenschaftliche Buchgesellschaft.
- Parliamentary rhetoric and reasoning. Investigations into the language use of the 1st United State Parliament in Berlin 1847. Frankfurt, Bern and New York 1986 (= Kassel works on language and literature 16).
2. Articles and online texts
- Theses on regionalism and dialect poetry or: Possibilities of a rediscovered language material. In: J. Kelter, D. Salomon (ed.): Literature in the Alemannic area. Freiburg 1978.
- together with H. Grünert: Political Argumentation and Oppositive Discourse. In: Yearbook for International German Studies XIV, 2 (1982).
- together with H. Grünert: Political Speaking as Oppositive Discourse. In: EWB Hess-Lüttich (ed.): Text production and text reception. Tübingen 1983.
- Stylistic devices in the parliamentary debate. In: F. Hundsnurscher, E. Weigand (ed.): Dialoganalysis. Tuebingen 1986.
- Stylistics of political exclusion. In: B. Sandig (ed.): Stylistic-rhetorical discourse analysis. Tübingen 1988.
- Speaker intention and language effect. In: Communications 15: 1/2 (1990).
- Parliamentary discourse and political desire. In: R. Wimmer (ed.): The 19th century. Berlin and New York 1991 (= IDS yearbook 1990).
- Historical dictionary of rhetoric. In: Wolfenbütteler Barock-Nachrichten 19, 1 (1992).
- Article "Donat". In: O. Schütze (ed.): Metzler Lexikon Antique Authors. Stuttgart and Weimar 1997.
- πάντα ῥεῑ - the flow of life and the aesthetic sign, in: G. Glucker: Gebauten Bilder. Tubingen 1998.
- Rhetorica antiqua - Rhetorica nova. In: Euphorion 1, 1999.
- Homiletics and Topics in the 19th Century: FL Steinmeyer's Doctrine of Sermons. In: Th. Schirren, G. Ueding (ed.): Topik und Rhetorik. Tübingen 2000.
- Article: 'Rhetoric Lexicography'. In: G. Ueding (Hrsg.): Historical dictionary of rhetoric. Volume 5, Tübingen 2001.
- Legal rhetoric. In: KD Lerch (ed.): Right negotiate. Berlin 2005
- Rhetoric as Science: Epistemic and Technological Aspects of the Teaching of Speech. In: Rhetoric. An International Yearbook, Volume 26 (2007) 102-113.
- Typology of Topic, in: G. Kreuzbauer, E. Gratzl, E. Hiebl (eds.): Persuasion and Science. Vienna, Munich: Lit, 2007, 129–142.
- Hermann Hering's homiletic teaching and its rhetorical implications, in: "And it drove the speech on ...", Festschrift for the 65th birthday of Gert Ueding, ed. from the seminar for general rhetoric, Tübingen, under the leadership of Joachim Knape, Olaf Kramer and Peter Weit.
- Historical dictionary of rhetoric, in: L'attualità della retorica, ed. by Stefan Nienhaus (Bari 2008).
- Homiletics and rhetoric: Hermann Herings Predigtlehre, in: L. Pernot (ed.): New Chapters in the history of Rhetoric (2009) 585-595
- Altered Beauty - Provocative Formation. In E. Eckel (ed.): Morphogenetic Errors (2009)
- Advertising - Image - Event. On the rhetoric and ethics of public relations, in: Fach - Translat - Kultur, Bd. 2, ed. by K.-D. Baumann (Berlin 2011) 900-948
- Concept of science, history of rhetoric, in: Historical dictionary of rhetoric, Vol. 10 (2012) Sp. 1451–1486
- Iudicium as a scandal. Sense of justice and scolding, in: G. Ueding, G. Kalivoda: Ways of modern rhetoric research (2014) 289-304
- Political Speech - Political Communication; held on May 4th, 2017: Lecture on the lecture series "Lively Rhetoric: 50 Years of the Seminar for General Rhetoric"
- Various explanations of terms (unpublished, 2018): rhetorical spaces , topic , topos , scientific rhetoric , scientific concept of rhetoric
- G. Öhlschläger: Linguistic considerations on a theory of argumentation. Tübingen 1979. In: Linguistic reports 84 (1983).
- Cherubim, D. and KJ Mattheier (eds.): Requirements and basics of contemporary language. Berlin and New York 1989. In: Rhetorik. An International Yearbook 11 (1992).
- F. Como: The dictatorship of insight. Ferdinand Lassalle and the rhetoric of German socialism. Frankfurt 1991. In: Rhetoric. An International Yearbook 14 (1995).
- HC Finsen: The rhetoric of the nation. Speech strategies in the national discourse. Tübingen 2001. In: Rhetoric. An international yearbook 22 (2003).
- Ways of Modern Rhetoric Research, ed. together with Gert Ueding (2014)
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German linguist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1949|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Wertingen near Augsburg|