He began his career at the 1964 Olympic Games as the coach of the athlete Liese Sykora , whom he married in 1965. He managed to lead the athletes he supervised to international top performances. Some of the records set at that time have lasted for decades. In 1972 he switched to women's handball and co-founded the successful Hypo Niederösterreich club , of which he was the manager until 2010. Between 1977 and 2010 Hypo Niederösterreich was consistently Austrian champion.
In the 1980s, Gunnar Prokop built an increasingly better women's team and, with Hypo Niederösterreich, reached a European Cup final in 1987 for the first time. To date, the club has won the EHF Champions League eight times. On the occasion of the gala for the tenth anniversary of the founding of the EHF , he was named Coach of the Century . In April 2007 Gunnar Prokop was honored by the state of Lower Austria for his life's work.
His wife, Liese Prokop , switched to politics after the end of her sporting career and was Austrian Interior Minister from 2004 until her death in 2006 . His daughter Karin , born in 1966, was active as a handball player from 1977 to 1995. One of his brothers was the sports doctor Ludwig Prokop , who was 20 years his senior . Another brother was the coroner Otto Prokop .
Prokop is considered impulsive and was often noticed in interviews through misogynistic statements. He also often has conflicts with referees. On October 29, 2009, Prokop committed a foul on Metz player Svetlana Ognjenović in an EHF Champions League game of his club against Metz Handball shortly before the end of the coaching bench . The game was a draw, Prokop jostled the Serb and prevented the counter-attack. In a press release, Gunnar Prokop apologized for his misconduct at Metz Handball and consequently resigned from his coaching position.
After the foul in the women's Champions League, the then 69-year-old should be banned from all international competitions for three years for violating the principles of fair play and pay a fine of 45,000 euros, the EHF said. In addition, he should be banned from all EHF posts for life. He appealed against this judgment. In January 2010 the protest committee of the EHF reduced the fine to 10,000 euros and the ban to one year.
- 2005 “ Rosa Handtaschl ”, awarded by the Austrian women's network Medien
- bang at Hypo Niederösterreich - Prokop resigns, www.handball-world.com, June 30, 2010
- derStandard.at - Sports medicine specialist Ludwig Prokop has died . Article dated July 28, 2016, accessed July 30, 2016.
- Gerald John: Procopius with the whip. In: Falter . January 26, 2005, archived from the original on February 6, 2010 ; Retrieved April 23, 2011 .
- Youtube video of the foul , accessed on October 13, 2013.
- EHF imposes severe penalties against Prokop , queried on November 4, 2009.
- "Prokop case: Objection to the EHF filed in due time", www.handball-world.com, November 25, 2009
- Handball-Zampano Prokop: "I don't care", diepresse.com, January 19, 2010
- A pink handbag for Gunnar Prokop . In: derstandard.at of November 2, 2005, accessed on April 21, 2017.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian handball trainer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||July 11, 1940|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||St. Polten|