Hans Haas (theologian)
Pastor and missionary
Coming from Donndorf near Bayreuth , Haas began a four-year study of theology and classical philology in Erlangen in 1889 . During his studies in 1889 he became a member of the C. St. V. Uttenruthia Erlangen . After completing his studies, he was employed as a vicar in Aschaffenburg , but his further language studies in Berlin and London already indicated that he was not looking at an ordinary pastor career.
From 1898 he became a pastor in the German parishes of Tokyo and Yokohama . Here he also worked as a missionary for the General Evangelical Protestant Mission Association and headed the theological college of this mission. He was editor of the periodical The Truth , which was the first German-language journal in Japan and was published from 1900 to 1906.
Scholar and Professor
As early as 1903 Haas had received an honorary doctorate from the theological faculty of the University of Strasbourg . After he returned to Germany in 1909 , in addition to his work on the Central Board of the East Asia Mission, he was a private scholar in Heidelberg and Coburg, before he became an associate professor at the University of Jena in 1913 due to his research in the history of religion , in particular on Japanese Buddhism .
In 1915 he was appointed to the chair of religious history at the University of Leipzig , succeeding Nathan Söderblom . At the same time, he headed the Religious History Seminar and, alternately, the State Research Institute for Comparative Religious History. In the following years he was also dean of the theological faculty several times.
- Hermann Goebel (ed.): Directory of members of the Schwarzburgbund. 8th edition, Frankfurt am Main 1930, p. 76 No. 1013.
- Carl Schneider: New German Biography (NDB). Volume 7, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 1966, ISBN 3-428-00188-5 , p. 375 ( ). In:
- Kurt Rudolph : The importance of Hans Haas (1868-1934) for religious studies . In: Ders .: History and Problems of Religious Studies . EJ Brill, New York 1992, ISBN 90-04-09503-9 , p. 340 ff.
- Religious Studies Institute Leipzig
- Tabular curriculum vitae on the website of the Institute for Religious Studies at the University of Leipzig, accessed on July 5, 2014
- Literature by and about Hans Haas in the catalog of the German National Library
- Hans Haas (theologian) in the professorial catalog of the University of Leipzig
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German religious scholar|
|DATE OF BIRTH||December 2, 1868|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Donndorf (Eckersdorf)|
|DATE OF DEATH||September 10, 1934|
|Place of death||Leipzig|