Hartwin Brandt studied history, German and Latin philology at the Christian Albrechts University in Kiel from 1979 to 1985 . After the first state examination in 1985, he received his doctorate in 1986 in Kiel with Frank Kolb . He completed his habilitation in 1991 at the University of Tübingen , where he was a research assistant from 1986 to 1992. In 1992/93 Brandt was a substitute professor at the University of Leipzig . Hartwin Brandt has been a full professor of ancient history since 1993, first at the Technical University of Chemnitz , and since 2002 at the Otto Friedrich University of Bamberg .
In 2003/04 Brandt was visiting professor at the University of Exeter and from 2000 to 2006 a member of the board of the Association of Historians . In 2006/07 he was a Henkel Fellow and Visiting Professor at the Department of Classics at Brown University in Providence (USA). Hartwin Brandt has also been the spokesperson for the Graduate School Generational Awareness and Generation Conflicts in Antiquity and Medieval Times since October 2004 .
Research and projects
Brandt's main areas of work are late antiquity , historiography in late antiquity (especially the Historia Augusta ), research into particular groups in antiquity (e.g. the area of old people) and the history of the Roman colonies in Asia Minor .
- Survey project for the archaeological, epigraphic and historical development of the ancient Polis Pednelissos , funded by the German Research Foundation as part of the research focus Forms and Paths of Acculturation in the Eastern Mediterranean and Black Sea Area in Antiquity
- together with Martin Jehne editor of the supplements to the magazine Klio
- Handbook of Classical Studies : History of the Roman Empire (new version of one of the old volumes written by Hermann Bengtson )
- Criticism of time in late antiquity. Investigations into the reform proposals of Anonymus De rebus bellicis (= Vestigia . Volume 40). CH Beck, Munich 1988, ISBN 3-406-33003-7 (dissertation).
- Society and economy of Pamphylia and Pisidia in antiquity (= Asia Minor Studies. Volume 7). Habelt, Bonn 1992, ISBN 3-7749-2554-2 (habilitation thesis).
- Commentary on the Vita Maximi et Balbini of the Historia Augusta (= Antiquitas . Series 4, Series 3, Volume 2). Habelt, Bonn 1996, ISBN 3-7749-2785-5 .
- History of the Roman Empire. From Diocletian and Constantine to the end of the Constantinian dynasty (284–363). Akademie Verlag, Berlin 1998, ISBN 3-05-003281-2 .
- The end of antiquity. History of the late Roman Empire. CH Beck, Munich 2001, ISBN 3-406-44751-1 ( review by Plekos; 4th, revised edition. CH Beck, Munich 2010, ISBN 978-3-406-51918-5 ).
- “My hair will also turn silver.” A story of old age. CH Beck, Munich 2002, ISBN 3-406-49593-1 .
- The province of Lycia et Pamphylia. Zabern, Mainz 2005, ISBN 3-8053-3470-2 (together with Frank Kolb ).
- Constantine the Great. The first Christian emperor. A biography. CH Beck, Munich 2006, ISBN 3-406-54058-9 ( review by sehepunkte ; 3rd, unchanged edition. CH Beck, Munich 2011, ISBN 978-3-406-61809-3 ).
- At the end of life. Age, death and suicide in antiquity (= Zetemata . Issue 136). CH Beck, Munich 2010, ISBN 978-3-406-60169-9 .
- Literature by and about Hartwin Brandt in the catalog of the German National Library
- Chair of Ancient History at the University of Bamberg
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German ancient historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||June 29, 1959|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Flensburg|