Hedwig Sophie of Brandenburg
Hedwig Sophie von Brandenburg (born July 14, 1623 in Berlin ; † June 26, 1683 in Schmalkalden ) was the wife of Landgrave Wilhelm VI. von Hessen-Kassel (* 1629; † 1663) and after his death regent of Hessen-Kassel until 1677.
- Charlotte Amalie (April 27, 1650 - March 27, 1714); ⚭ June 25, 1667 King Christian V of Denmark
- Wilhelm VII (born June 21, 1651 - † November 21, 1670)
- Luise (September 11, 1652 - October 23, 1652)
- Karl (born August 3, 1654; † March 23, 1730), succeeded his brother, Wilhelm VII, as Landgrave of Hesse-Kassel
- Philipp (14 December 1655 - 18 June 1721), Landgrave of Hesse-Philippsthal ; ⚭ Countess Katharina Amalia von Solms-Laubach
- Georg of Hessen-Kassel (* 1658 † 1675);
- Elisabeth Henriette (born November 18, 1661, † July 7, 1683); ⚭ King Friedrich I in Prussia
After the early death of her husband in 1663, she reigned in Hesse-Kassel, first for her eldest son, Landgrave Wilhelm VII, then after his death in 1670 for his younger brother, Landgrave Karl, until 1677. She tried her husband's cautious foreign policy to continue and avoid alliances that could have drawn Hessen-Kassel into a dispute. Neutrality could be maintained until 1673. Nevertheless, due to France's latent expansion policy , Hessen-Kassel was also in constant danger of being drawn into the armed conflicts. Hedwig Sophie was able to obtain higher tax payments from the estates , which made it possible to replenish the troops, which had been reduced to a minimum after the Thirty Years War . After 1673 she participated in an alliance under her brother, Elector Friedrich Wilhelm von Brandenburg. At the same time there was an imperial war against France, in which the Landgraviate also participated with a contingent.
In the final phase of her reign she tried to delay the point in time when her son Karl took over the government himself. This led to considerable tension between the two. Ultimately, however, she handed over the government to him on August 8, 1677.
- Hans Philippi, Die Landgrafschaft Hessen-Kassel 1648–1806 = Publications of the Historical Commission for Hesse 46 = Kleine Schriften 8, Marburg 2007.
- Hessen-Kassel, Hedwig Sophia Landgravine von. Hessian biography. (As of November 13, 2019). In: Landesgeschichtliches Informationssystem Hessen (LAGIS).
|SURNAME||Hedwig Sophie of Brandenburg|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Hedwig Sophie of Hessen-Kassel|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German nobles|
|DATE OF BIRTH||July 14, 1623|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Berlin|
|DATE OF DEATH||June 26, 1683|
|Place of death||Schmalkalden|