William VI. (Hessen-Kassel)
William VI. von Hessen-Kassel (born May 23, 1629 in Kassel ; † July 16, 1663 ibid) from the House of Hessen was Landgrave of Hessen-Kassel from 1637 to 1663 . Under the company name Der Auserkorne he was accepted as a member of the Fruit Bringing Society .
William VI. was the eldest son of Landgrave Wilhelm V and his wife Amalie Elisabeth , a born Countess of Hanau-Münzenberg . After the death of his father in 1637, his mother vigorously and successfully exercised guardianship for him and the regency until he took over the business of government himself on September 25, 1650. Before that he had made a cavalier tour of Western Europe.
To the coins of Wilhelm VI. also count the stamps that were stamped during the reign of his mother Amalie Elisabeth. She left the stamp of Wilhelm V, the so-called Weidenbaumtaler, to be minted two years after her husband's death.
Under the reign of Amalie Elisabeth in 1645 in the Thirty Years' War the " Hessenkrieg " broke out, a dispute with the Landgraviate of Hesse-Darmstadt over Upper Hesse and Marburg . Three years later, in 1648, the war ended with a victory for Hessen-Kassel.
Court life in Kassel was under Wilhelm VI. unspectacular. After the war, Wilhelm VI. especially about the expansion of the universities of Marburg and Rinteln within his hereditary land and about the establishment of new higher education institutions. An agreement was reached with the Landgraves of Hesse-Darmstadt, as Landgrave Georg II of Hesse-Darmstadt received the territory around Gießen and the Hessian hinterland around Biedenkopf .
Shortly before his death, in 1658, Wilhelm VI. the Rhenish Alliance .
William VI. died on July 16, 1663 in Kassel. His eldest son and heir, Landgrave Wilhelm VII (1651–1670), was not of legal age at this time. The guardianship was exercised by his mother, Hedwig Sophie von Brandenburg .
In 1649 Wilhelm married Princess Hedwig Sophie of Brandenburg (1623–1683), daughter of Elector Georg Wilhelm of Brandenburg and Elisabeth Charlotte of the Palatinate . From this marriage emerged:
- Charlotte Amalie (April 27, 1650 - March 27, 1714), married on June 25, 1667 to King Christian V of Denmark
- Wilhelm VII (born June 21, 1651 - † November 21, 1670)
- Luise (September 11, 1652 - October 23, 1652)
- Karl (born August 3, 1654; † March 23, 1730), followed his brother Wilhelm as Landgrave of Hesse-Kassel
- Philipp (14 December 1655 - 18 June 1721), Landgrave of Hessen-Philippsthal , married to Katharina Amalia von Solms-Laubach
- Georg (* 1658, † 1675)
- Elisabeth Henriette (born November 18, 1661 - † July 7, 1683), married to King Friedrich I in Prussia
|Wilhelm IV of Hessen-Kassel (1532–1592)|
|Moritz von Hessen-Kassel (1572–1632)|
|Sabine von Württemberg (1549–1581)|
|Wilhelm V of Hessen-Kassel (1602–1637)|
|Johann Georg zu Solms-Laubach (1546–1600)|
|Agnes zu Solms-Laubach (1578–1602)|
|Margarete von Schönburg-Glauchau (1554–1606)|
|William VI. from Hessen-Kassel|
|Philipp Ludwig I of Hanau-Münzenberg , (1553–1580)|
|Philipp Ludwig II of Hanau-Münzenberg (1576–1612)|
|Magdalene von Waldeck (1558–1599)|
|Amalie Elisabeth von Hanau-Münzenberg (1602–1651)|
|William I of Orange (1533–1584)|
|Katharina Belgica of Orange-Nassau (1578–1648)|
|Charlotte de Bourbon-Montpensier (1546 / 47–1582)|
- Hans Philippi : The Landgrafschaft Hessen-Kassel 1648–1806 = Publications of the Historical Commission for Hesse 46 = Kleine Schriften 8, Marburg 2007. ISBN 978-3-7708-1303-2 .
- Wilhelm Grotefend: Wilhelm VI. In: Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB). Volume 43, Duncker & Humblot, Leipzig 1898, pp. 54-60.
- Pauline Puppel: The regent. Guardian rule in Hesse 1500–1700 . Frankfurt / Main 2004.
- Hessen-Kassel, Wilhelm VI. Landgrave of. Hessian biography. (As of December 27, 2019). In: Landesgeschichtliches Informationssystem Hessen (LAGIS).
- ^ Jacob CC Hoffmeister: Historical-critical description of all Hessian coins known so far ... (1857), p. 218
Landgrave of Hessen-Kassel
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||William VI. from Hessen-Kassel|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Landgrave of Hessen-Kassel (1637–1663)|
|DATE OF BIRTH||May 23, 1629|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||kassel|
|DATE OF DEATH||July 16, 1663|
|Place of death||kassel|