Herbert von One
life and work
Von Eine studied art history at the universities in Göttingen , Berlin and Munich . In 1928 he received his doctorate from Georg Graf Vitzthum , head of the art history seminar in Göttingen. In 1935 he completed his habilitation at the University of Halle , became an assistant at Vitzthum in Göttingen in 1937 and a private lecturer there in 1938. In one of his papers, von Eine advocated a völkisch defined art history. From 1943 to 1945 he received a full professorship at the Ernst-Moritz-Arndt University in Greifswald , which he only held sporadically as a result of the war. In 1943 he became a member of the National Socialist Lecturer Association . In 1953 he was elected a corresponding member of the Göttingen Academy of Sciences . Since 1963 he was a corresponding member of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences .
After the war he taught in Hamburg for a short time, in 1946 he was appointed to the Frankfurt chair at the Art History Institute of the University of Frankfurt am Main and in 1947 took over a full professorship at the Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität Bonn . There he headed (alongside Heinrich Lützeler (1902–1988)) the Institute for Art History, which he expanded considerably in the following years. With Lützeler he was editor of the Bonn Contributions to Art History until 1971 . In 1970 he retired . Reiner Haussherr is one of his graduates .
- Caspar David Friedrich , Rembrandt-Verlag, 1938 (several editions up to 1958)
- Contributions to Goethe's conception of art , by Schröder, Hamburg, 1956
- German painting of classicism and romanticism, 1760–1840 , Beck, Munich, ISBN 978-3-406-03206-6 .
- Michelangelo. Sculptor, painter, master builder , Gebr. Mann, Berlin, 1959 (several editions up to 1984, translated into five languages)
- Holbein's "Christ in the Grave" (= treatises of the humanities and social sciences class of the Academy of Sciences and Literature in Mainz. Born in 1960, No. 4).
- The "Transfiguration of Christ" and the "Healing of the possessed" by Raphael (= treatises of the humanities and social sciences class of the Academy of Sciences and Literature in Mainz. Born in 1966, No. 5).
- The program of the Stanza della Segnatura in the Vatican , Westdeutscher Verlag, Opladen, 1971
- Giorgione: the painter as a poet , publishing house of the Academy of Sciences and Literature, commissioned by F. Steiner, Mainz-Wiesbaden, 1972
- Gert von der Osten and Georg Kauffmann (eds.): Festschrift for Herbert von Eine on February 16, 1965 , Berlin 1965
- Florens Deuchler, Reiner Haussherr: Student festival for Herbert von Eine on February 16, 1965. Art History Institute of the University, Bonn 1965.
- Willi Hirdt, Tilmann Buddensieg (ed.): In memoriam Herbert von Eine: Speeches , held on December 7, 1983 at the memorial ceremony of the Philosophical Faculty of the Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität Bonn
- Metzler-Kunsthistoriker-Lexikon , Stuttgart / Weimar, 1999, pp. 70–73.
- Theodor Müller : Herbert von Eine 16.2.1905–5.8.1983. In: Bavarian Academy of Sciences , Yearbook 1984, Munich 1984, pp. 223–226.
- Literature by and about Herbert von Eine in the catalog of the German National Library
- Dictionary of Arthistorians in English. Useful facts, but a trivializing representation of his political commitment.
- Herbert von Einems Publications 1945–1955
- Topic of the dissertation: The sculpture of the Lüneburg Golden Plate
- Habilitation thesis: Carl Ludwig Fernow . A study on German classicism
- Herbert von Eine, Tasks of Art History in the Future , in: Zeitschrift für Kunstgeschichte , 5, 1936, 1-6
- Olaf Peter: Art history in the "Third Reich": theories, methods, practices , Volume 1 of writings on modern art historiography , Akademie Verlag, 2008, ISBN 978-3-05-004448-4 , p. 236
- Holger Krahnke: The members of the Academy of Sciences in Göttingen 1751-2001 (= Treatises of the Academy of Sciences in Göttingen, Philological-Historical Class. Volume 3, Vol. 246 = Treatises of the Academy of Sciences in Göttingen, Mathematical-Physical Class. Episode 3, vol. 50). Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, Göttingen 2001, ISBN 3-525-82516-1 , p. 75.
- Member by Herbert von Eine (with a link to an obituary) at the Bavarian Academy of Sciences , accessed on February 1, 2017.
- Website of the Institute for Art History, Bonn
|SURNAME||One, Herbert von|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German art historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||February 16, 1905|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Saarburg|
|DATE OF DEATH||5th August 1983|
|Place of death||Goettingen|