Herman Friedrich Schmalenbach (born November 15, 1885 in Breckerfeld , Westphalia, † November 3, 1950 in Basel ) was a German social philosopher and brother of the business economist Eugen Schmalenbach .
Live and act
After studying philosophy, history, art history and classical studies in Jena , Berlin and Munich , where he learned from among others with Georg Simmel , he received his doctorate in 1910 with Rudolf Eucken in Jena. From 1916 to 1917 he taught at the Dürerschule , a reform school in Hochwaldhausen in Vogelsberg , then briefly at the Odenwaldschule in Ober-Hambach in southern Hesse . He completed his habilitation in Göttingen in 1920 and became an associate professor there in 1923, and from 1928 he also taught at the Technical University of Hanover . In 1931 he was appointed to the University of Basel and worked there as a full professor until his death.
He worked in the field of phenomenological analysis of consciousness and the various types of consciousness; His introduction of the covenant category , which is based on his experience as a teacher at the Dürer School , was significant for sociology . Also his impressions of the George circle - Schmalenbach was friends with Stefan George from 1908 to approx. 1912 - he could u. a. use for an attachment. His son was the art historian Werner Schmalenbach (1920–2010).
- Being as an object of metaphysics: first part of an epistemology of metaphysics. 1. The first conception of metaphysics in occidental thought , Jena 1910, dissertation ( http: //vorlage_digitalisat.test/1%3D~GB%3D~IA%3Ddasseiendealsobj01schm~MDZ%3D%0A~SZ%3D~doppelseiten%3D~LT%3D~PUR%3D ).
- Leibniz , Munich 1921.
- Kant and the philosophy of the present , Munich 1924.
- The Kantian philosophy and religion , Göttingen 1926.
- The middle age. His concept and essence , Leipzig 1926.
- Kant's Religion , Berlin 1929.
- The Ethos and Idea of Knowledge , Tübingen 1933.
- Mind and Being , Basel 1939.
- Paul Trommsdorff: The faculty of the Technical University of Hanover 1831-1931. Hanover, 1931, p. 133.
- Nicole C. Karafyllis : Willy Moog (1888-1935): Ein Philosophenleben , Freiburg: Karl Alber 2015, ISBN 978-3-495-48697-9 . Describes the common school days, academic training and further development of the philosopher friends Moog and Schmalenbach in numerous places.
- Nicole C. Karafyllis : The philosophers Herman Schmalenbach and Willy Moog and their work at the technical universities in Hanover and Braunschweig. With a sideways glance at Schmalenbach's Leibniz . Hanover: Wehrhahn Verlag (published Nov. 2016) ISBN 978-3-86525-553-2
- Literature by and about Herman Schmalenbach in the catalog of the German National Library
- Herman Schmalenbach's estate in the Basel University Library
- Markus Zürcher: Schmalenbach, Hermann. In: Historical Lexicon of Switzerland .
- Peter Dudek : "The Oedipus from Kurfürstendamm". A Wickersdorf student and his matricide in 1930 . Verlag Julius Klinkhardt, Bad Heilbrunn 2015, ISBN 978-3-7815-2026-4 , p. 34.
- On George's role and his ideas, which are also explicitly mentioned in the essay, cf. in short Ulrich Raulff : Circle without a master. Stefan George's afterlife . CH Beck, Munich 2009, p. 210f.
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Schmalenbach, Herman Friedrich (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German philosopher|
|DATE OF BIRTH||November 15, 1885|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Breckerfeld , Westphalia|
|DATE OF DEATH||November 3, 1950|
|Place of death||Basel|