He was a son of Margrave Eduard Fortunat of Baden and Maria von Eicken († April 21, 1636), daughter of Jobst von Eicken. The father died as early as 1600 and his cousins from the Baden-Durlach family challenged his and his brothers' right of succession, since the father's marriage to Maria von Eicken was considered inappropriate. The guardians, Archduke Albrecht and Count Salentin von Isenburg , campaigned successfully for the right of inheritance with the emperor, whereby political denominational backgrounds played a role: The House of Baden-Baden was Catholic, while the House of Baden-Durlach was Lutheran.
He died in Kastellaun in 1665. His tomb is in the St. Nicholas Church in Rodemachern . When the parish church was rebuilt (1779–1783) the limestone tomb was moved under the Holy Cross altar.
Marriage and offspring
Margrave Hermann Fortunat married Antonie Elisabeth von Criechingen († January 12, 1635), the daughter of Christoph von Criechingen, on April 18, 1627 . The following children were born from this marriage:
- Karl Wilhelm Eugen (* 1627; † 1666), Canon of Cologne
- Leopold (* 1628; † 1635)
- Marie Sidonie (* 1635; † August 15, 1686), she married Prince Philipp von Hohenzollern-Hechingen on November 12, 1662 (* June 24, 1616; † January 24, 1671)
- Philipp Balthasar (born February 10, 1641 in Useldingen / Luxembourg, † 1662)
- Marie Eleonore Sofie († April 18, 1668), she married Count Johann Franz Desideratus von Nassau-Siegen in 1665 (* July 28, 1627; † December 17, 1699)
- Johann Christian Sachs : Introduction to the history of the Marggravschaft and the Marggravial old princely house of Baden . Third part. Lotter, Carlsruhe 1769, p. 311–313 ( limited preview in Google Book search).
Notes / individual evidence
- partly also referred to as Joost van Eycken
- s. Sachs p. 311
- Short guide 2012 of the parish
- Pfarregister in Useldingen / Luxembourg: Baptism of Pfilip Baltazar FORTUNAT, son of Herman Prince and Margraw to swim.
Margrave of Baden-Rodemachern
1620 - 1665
|Karl Wilhelm Eugen|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Hermann Fortunat of Baden|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Margrave of Baden zu Rodemachern|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 23, 1595|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Rastatt|
|DATE OF DEATH||4th January 1665|
|Place of death||Kastellaun|