Calendar overview 1620
Bohemian estates are subject to the Catholic League
in the Battle of White Mountain .
flees from Bohemia.
Emperor of China for a short time .
|Mayflower sets sail from Plymouth .|
|1620 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||1068/69 (turn of the year July)|
|Ethiopian calendar||1612/13 (September 10-11)|
|Bengali solar calendar||1025/26 (beginning of April 14th or 15th)|
|Buddhist calendar||2163/64 (southern Buddhism); 2162/63 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||71st (72nd) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||982/983 (turn of the year April)|
|Dangun era (Korea)||3953/54 (October 2/3)|
|Islamic calendar||1029/30 (turn of the year 25/26 November)|
|Jewish calendar||5380/81 (September 27-28)|
|Coptic calendar||1336/37 (September 10-11)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1930/31 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1931/32 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1676/77 (April)|
Politics and world events
Thirty Years' War
- January 2 : The deceased Johann Sigismund is succeeded by his son Georg Wilhelm as Elector of Brandenburg and Duke of Prussia .
- June 6 : Emperor Ferdinand II instructs Duke Maximilian I of Bavaria to execute the Reich in Bohemia .
- July 12 : The imperial under Karl Bonaventura Count von Buquoy defeat Bohemian-Palatinate troops under Heinrich Matthias von Thurn near Vienna .
- July 18 : The Veltliner murder begins in Graubünden . In a Catholic uprising in the Valtellina, all Protestants who can be caught are killed. Between 300 and 600 people lose their lives. This is the beginning of the Bündner turmoil , in which Venice , France , Austria and Spain struggle to control the Graubünden Alpine passes.
- July 3 : With French mediation, the Catholic League and the Protestant Union sign the Ulm Treaty , a neutrality agreement to prevent the spread of the Bohemian-Palatinate War , a hope that will remain in vain.
- August 25 : The state parliament of the estates in Neusohl elects the Transylvanian prince Gábor Bethlen as king of Hungary , which marks the beginning of an anti-Habsburg uprising in what is now Slovakia .
- September 9 : The siege of Bautzen by Elector Johann Georg I of Saxony begins. On the same day, the commander of the Jägerndorf troops in the city had the roof of the Nikolaikirche removed to defend the city, so that a battery was then installed in the vault of the church. The siege lasted until the Saxon troops took the city on October 5th.
- September 11th : The battle of Tirano between the Three Leagues , Bern and Zurich and Austro-Spanish troops ends with a victory for the imperial and Spanish sides.
- September 23 : Maximilian von Bayern conquers Cham (Upper Palatinate) .
- November 8th : In the Battle of the White Mountain (Czech: Bílá Hora ) the Bohemian estates under their King Friedrich V of the Palatinate and his military leader Christian I of Anhalt with 13,000 men are subject to the troops of the Catholic League , led by the Generalissimo Karl Bonaventura Count von Buquoy (39,950 men) are led. Even Johann t'Serclaes of Tilly is under his command.
- November 9th : After the defeat of his troops in the Battle of White Mountain the day before, the Bohemian King Frederick I flees from Prague to Wroclaw. Emperor Ferdinand II can enforce his claim to the crown of Bohemia .
- The Guard du Corps is set up within the Saxon army .
- September 10 : Troops of Poland-Lithuania war in the Ottoman-Polish War with the army of the Ottoman Empire near the Prut River . Both sides are striving to rule over the Danube principalities by military means .
Other events in Europe
- The Santa Maria delle Grazie Tower is the last of the Wignacourt Towers to be built on Malta under the rule of Grand Master Alof de Wignacourt to defend the island.
- August 18 : The late Emperor Wanli is succeeded by his illegitimate son Taichang to the Chinese throne. When he took office, however, he was already seriously ill and died on September 26th . His successor is his 14-year-old son Tianqi .
- The Danish East India Company acquires Tranquebar from the Raja of Thanjavur and founds Fort Dansborg .
North American colonies
- September 6 : The Mayflower sets sail from Plymouth with 102 passengers on board .
- November 19 : The Mayflower lands in America .
- November 21 : The Pilgrim Fathers , who arrived in the English colonies in America on the Mayflower , sign the Mayflower Treaty , the constitution of the colony of Plymouth, near Cape Cod .
- December 21 : A group of the Pilgrim Fathers who arrived in the New World on the Mayflower forms a settlement on the mainland.
- December 26th : More Pilgrim Fathers arrive at what will later become Plymouth, Massachusetts , and establish a settler colony.
- For the first time, a large number of nubile women from England reached Jamestown in the colony of Virginia .
- around 1620: The Klein Süntel glassworks is first mentioned in a document. Locational factors for operating a glass factory in Klein Süntel are the availability of raw materials such as wood and coal from the Süntel , quartz sand for the glass , sandstone for the construction of the furnace and clay for the glass ports as melting vessels. There are often delivery bottlenecks for salt and potash .
science and technology
- Juan Pablo Bonet wrote the first known work on pedagogy for the deaf and mute. In his work Reducción de las letras y arte para enseñar a ablar los mudos the so-called finger alphabet for communication for the hearing impaired is described for the first time .
- around 1620: Georges de la Tour paints the painting The cardsharp with the ace of diamonds .
- around 1620: Artemisia Gentileschi produces the painting Judith and Holofernes in oil on canvas .
- January 24 : In the Erzgebirge Altenberg it comes to the most extensive Pingenbruch in the German mining . Collapsing rock destroys 36 tin ore pits .
First half of the year
- January 1 : Gilberte Périer , sister and biographer Blaise Pascals († 1687 )
- January 9 : Anton Günther I , Count in Sondershausen († 1666 )
- February 6 : Elisabeth von Baden-Durlach , poet († 1692 )
- February 7th : Peter Musaeus , German Protestant theologian, logician and metaphysician († 1674 )
- February 10 : James Howard, 3rd Earl of Suffolk , English nobleman († 1689 )
- February 16 : Friedrich Wilhelm , "the Great Elector", Elector of Brandenburg († 1688 )
- April 15 : Christoph Schelhammer , German medic († 1651 )
- April 24th : John Graunt , English haberdashery seller, is considered the founder of demography and pioneer of modern statistics († 1674 )
- April 24th : Vollrad Ludolf von Krosigk , soldier and local politician († 1671 )
- April 29 : Robert Atkyns , English lawyer and statesman († 1710 )
- June 20 : Sibylle Margarethe von Brieg , Princess of Brieg († 1657 )
- June 26 : Johann Caspar Schweizer , Swiss Protestant clergyman, philologist and university professor († 1688 )
- June 29th : Masaniello , main leader of the popular uprising of 1647 in Naples († 1647 )
Second half of the year
- July 20 : Nikolaes Heinsius the Elder , Dutch scholar and poet († 1681 )
- July 21 : Jean Picard , French astronomer and geodesist († 1682 )
- September 1 : Otto von Grote , member of the Fruit Bringing Society († 1687 )
- September 4 : Ernst Gottlieb , Prince of Anhalt-Plötzkau († 1654 )
- September 18 : Albrecht von Brandenburg-Ansbach , Margrave of the Principality of Ansbach († 1667 )
- September 24 : Gerhard Bode , German Protestant theologian († 1697 )
- October 1 : Nicolaes Pieterszoon Berchem , Dutch painter († 1683 )
- October 16 : Pierre Puget , French painter and sculptor († 1694 )
- October 31 : John Evelyn , English author, architect and horticulturist († 1706 )
- December 1 : Friedrich von Jena , German legal scholar, diplomat and statesman († 1682 )
- December 17 : Henri Charles de La Trémoille , leading figure of the Fronde († 1672 )
Exact date of birth unknown
Born around 1620
- Nikolaus Mercator , German mathematician († 1687 )
- Václav (Jan) Rosa , Czech linguist, poet and lawyer († 1689 )
First half of the year
- January 2 : Johann Sigismund , Elector of Brandenburg (* 1572 )
- January 8 : Axel Nilsson Ryning , Swedish Imperial Admiral (* 1552 )
- February 1 : Elisabeth Katharina Smiřická von Smiřice , Bohemian noblewoman (* 1590 )
- February 8th : Simon Reiffenstuel , Bavarian court architect and builder of the brine pipeline from Bad Reichenhall to Traunstein (* 1574 )
- March 1 : Thomas Campion , English composer, poet and doctor (* 1567 )
- March 17 : Johannes Sarkander , priest and martyr of the Catholic Church (* 1576 )
- March 28 : Nikolaus Arresdorf , German clergyman and auxiliary bishop (* around 1545 )
- May 16 : William Adams , English world traveler (* 1564 )
- May 19 : Johann Sötefleisch the Elder , German Lutheran theologian (* 1552 )
- May 31 : Wilhelm Ludwig , Count of Nassau-Dillenburg and governor of Friesland (* 1560 )
- June 11 : John Budden , English lawyer (* 1566 )
- June 29th : Hanns Reiffenstuel , Bavarian court architect and builder of the brine pipeline from Bad Reichenhall to Traunstein (* 1548 )
Second half of the year
- July 18 : Eva Hohenschildin , victim of the witch persecution in Eichstätt (* 1584 )
- July 18 : Kunigunde Sterzl , victim of the witch persecution in Eichstätt (* around 1544 )
- July 20 : Jan Peider Danz , Swiss pastor (* around 1575 )
- August 18 : Wanli , Chinese Emperor of the Ming Dynasty (* 1563 )
- August 30 : Baltasar Elisio de Medinilla , Spanish writer and religious poet (* 1585 )
- September 13 : Wolfgang Hirschbach , German legal scholar (* 1570 )
- September 20 : Giovanni Maria Nosseni , Swiss sculptor (* 1544 )
- September 26th : Taichang , Chinese emperor of the Ming Dynasty (* 1582 )
- September 28th : Sidonia von Borcke , Pomeranian noblewoman, victim of the witch hunts (* 1548 )
- October 2 : Benedikt Wurzelbauer , German sculptor and ore caster (* 1548 )
- October 7th : Stanisław Żółkiewski , Polish general and statesman (* 1547 )
Exact date of death unknown
- Diane d'Andouins , Countess of Guiche and mistress of the French King Henry IV (* 1554 )
- Antoine de Pluvinel , French riding instructor (* 1555 )
- Philipp Christoph Freiherr von Eyczing , the last Eyczinger
- Francisco Jiménez , Spanish Dominican