Calendar overview 1657
Robert Blake defeats a Spanish fleet near Santa Cruz de Tenerife
|Friedrich Wilhelm von Brandenburg changes sides in the Second Northern War .|
|Otto von Guericke presented his Magdeburg hemispheres one more time at the court of the Elector of Brandenburg .|
|1657 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||1105/06 (turn of the year July)|
|Ethiopian calendar||1649/50 (September 10-11)|
|Bengali solar calendar||1062/63 (beginning of April 14th or 15th)|
|Buddhist calendar||2200/01 (southern Buddhism); 2199/2200 (alternative calculation according to Buddha's Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||72nd (73rd) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||1019/20 (turn of the year April)|
|Dangun era (Korea)||3990/91 (October 2/3)|
|Islamic calendar||1067/68 (October 8/9)|
|Jewish calendar||5417/18 (September 7th / 8th)|
|Coptic calendar||1373/74 (September 10-11)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1967/68 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1968/69 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1713/14 (April)|
Politics and world events
Second Northern War
- May: The Brandenburg fleet sets sail from the East Prussian port of Pillau for the first time .
- June 7th : The Polish King Casimir IV Jagiello moves into the Marienburg Order Castle acquired through purchase . The Grand Master of the Teutonic Order , who was at war with him, flees to Königsberg .
- September 19 : Elector Friedrich Wilhelm von Brandenburg changes to the side of Poland-Lithuania with the Treaty of Wehlau in the Second Northern War .
- November 6 : The Bromberg Treaty essentially confirms the contents of the Wehlau Treaty.
- November 10 : Sweden's former Queen Christina has her former favorite and stable master Giovanni Monaldeschi killed in the French Palace of Fontainebleau on charges of high treason .
- April 2nd : To the late Emperor Ferdinand III. follows his son Leopold I as ruler of the Habsburg hereditary lands. Election and coronation as emperor will take place next year.
- April 22 : As a result of the will of Johann Georg I created with the friend Fraternal main comparison Saxon Sekundogenitur -Herzogtümer Saxe-Weissenfels , Saxony-Merseburg and Saxony-Zeitz .
Western and Southern Europe
- April 20 : The Anglo-Spanish War comes to the sea battle of Santa Cruz : The English admiral Robert Blake defeats a Spanish fleet near Santa Cruz de Tenerife .
- In the war of restoration for the independence of Portugal from Spain , the city of Mourão was conquered by the Spanish, but was recaptured by the Portuguese in the same year.
- In Malta , under Grand Master Martin de Redin, the construction of the De Redin Towers begins as part of the island's fortifications. By 1660 , 13 of these towers were built at strategic points.
- February 3 : The city of Warendorf is granted the right to hold a two-day cattle market, the fat market .
science and technology
- Christiaan Huygens develops the first basics of probability theory .
- Otto von Guericke presented his Magdeburg hemispheres once more at the court of Elector Friedrich Wilhelm von Brandenburg .
- The Didactica magna by Johann Amos Comenius is published for the first time.
- Cardinal Leopoldo de 'Medici and his brother, Grand Duke Ferdinando II. De' Medici , found the Accademia del Cimento , an early scientific society for experimental physics , in Florence .
- The Bohemian pedagogue and philosopher Johann Amos Comenius formulated teaching principles for the first time .
- Tokugawa Mitsukuni begins work on the multi-volume literary work Dai Nihon shi on the history of Japan .
- Jan Vermeer paints the picture Sleeping Girl in oil on canvas . In the same year, the letter reader at the open window is also created .
Music and theater
- February 13 : The world premiere of the musical drama Oronte by Johann Caspar Kerll takes place in Munich.
- The composer Maurizio Cazzati reformed musical life in the Basilica of San Petronio and throughout Bologna with the establishment of the Bolognese School .
- On Salvatorplatz is the first opera house in Munich opened.
- The Codex Manesse , a famous song manuscript created in Zurich around 1300 , reappears in Paris.
- The painter Rembrandt van Rijn had to leave his Renaissance house in today's Jodenbreestraat , which was then the main street of Amsterdam's Jewish quarter, which he bought in 1639 .
- The plague rages in Braunschweig, claiming 5,420 lives according to church records in 1657/1658.
- When Meireki-major fire in Edo in Japan around 100,000 people die.
First half of the year
- January 18 : Heinrich Casimir II , Prince of Nassau-Dietz, governor of Friesland, Groningen and Drenthe († 1696 )
- January 26 : William Wake , Archbishop of Canterbury († 1737 )
- January 27 : Johann Heinrich von Berger , German lawyer († 1732 )
- March 1 : Samuel Werenfels , Reformed theologian († 1740 )
- March 2nd : Zacharias Steinel , Electoral Saxon. ev.-luth. Theologian and pastor, multiple master's degree († 1710 )
- March 6 : Auguste Magdalene von Hessen-Darmstadt , German poet († 1674 )
- March 24th : Arai Hakuseki , neo-Confucian scholar, economist and poet († 1725 )
- March 25 : Johann Baptist Adolph , German Jesuit and stage poet († 1708 )
- April 25 : Emmerich Thököly , leader of an uprising against Habsburg rule and Prince of Transylvania († 1705 )
Second half of the year
- July 11th : Friedrich I , King in Prussia († 1713 )
- July 12 : Friedrich Wilhelm III. , Duke of Saxony-Altenburg († 1672 )
- July 25 : Philipp Heinrich Erlebach , German Baroque composer († 1714 )
- September 4 : Martin Knorre , German mathematician († 1699 )
- September 11th : Johann Sinapius , Silesian scholar (historian) († 1725 )
- September 27 : Sofia Alexejewna , regent of Russia († 1704 )
- November 12 : Anna Dorothea von Sachsen-Weimar , Abbess of the Quedlinburg Imperial Monastery († 1704 )
- November 26 : William Derham , English clergyman and natural philosopher († 1735 )
- December 2 : Johann Werner von Veyder , auxiliary bishop and vicar general in Cologne († 1723 )
- December 15 : Michel-Richard Delalande , French composer († 1726 )
Exact date of birth unknown
- Hattori Dohō , Japanese poet († 1730 )
- Catherine Sedley, Countess of Dorchester , mistress of James II of England († 1717 )
First half of the year
- January 22nd : Niels Aagaard , Danish writer and scholar (* 1612 )
- January 24th : Claude de Lorraine, duc de Chevreuse , French nobleman (* 1578 )
- February 2 : Nicole , Duchess of Lorraine (* 1608 )
- 8 February : Laura Mancini , Duchess of Mercoeur (* 1635 /36 )
- February 19 : Evert van Aelst , Dutch painter (* 1602 )
- February 19 : Reinhard Bake , Protestant theologian and pastor at Magdeburg Cathedral (* 1587 )
- March 7 : Balthasar van der Ast , Dutch painter (* 1593 /94 )
- March 26 : Jonkheer Jacob van Eyck , Dutch musician (* ~ 1590 )
- April 2 : Ferdinand III. , Roman-German Emperor, Archduke of Austria and King of Hungary, Bohemia and Croatia (* 1608 )
- April 10 : Johann Konrad Varnbüler , Württemberg diplomat (* 1595 )
- April 17th : Heinrich Cosel , Bohemian jurist (* 1616 )
- June 3 : William Harvey , English physician and anatomist, discoverer of the blood circulation and pioneer of modern physiology (* 1578 )
Second half of the year
- August 6 : Bogdan Khmelnitski , Ukrainian hetman, leader of the anti-Polish uprising named after him (* 1595 )
- August 17th : Robert Blake , English admiral (* 1598 )
- August 19 : Frans Snyders , Flemish painter (* 1579 )
- September 23 : Joachim Jungius , German mathematician, physicist and philosopher (* 1587 )
- September 26th : Olimpia Maidalchini , Roman nobleman (* 1591 )
- September 28 : Emilia Secunda Antwerpiana of Orange-Nassau , Countess Palatine von Zweibrücken-Landsberg (* 1581 )
- October 3 : Moritz von Savoyen , Cardinal of the Roman Church (* 1593 )
- October 22 : Johann Benedikt Carpzov I , German Protestant theologian (* 1607 )
- October 22nd : Cassiano dal Pozzo , Italian scholar and patron (* 1588 )
- November 20 : Menasse ben Israel , Sephardic Jew, scholar, diplomat, writer, Kabbalist, printer and publisher (* 1604 )
- December 5 : Johan Axelsson Oxenstierna , Swedish statesman (* 1611 )
- December 6th : Charles d'Avaugour , French diplomat (* 1600 )
Exact date of death unknown
- Thomas Aylesbury, 1st Baronet , high English official in the Royal Navy (* 1576 )
- David Bailly , Dutch painter (* 1584 )
- Ján Šimbracký , Slovak composer (* around 1600 )