|For the first time, Anton Praetorius fights against the witchcraft in his own name .||Caravaggio completes the oil painting Amor as the winner .|
|Moritz of Orange conquers the city of Grave in the Eighty Years War .|
|1602 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||1050/51 (turn of the year July)|
|Ethiopian calendar||1594/95 (September 10-11)|
|Bengali solar calendar||1007/08 (beginning of April 14th or 15th)|
|Buddhist calendar||2145/46 (southern Buddhism); 2144/45 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||71st (72nd) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||964/965 (turn of the year April)|
|Dangun era (Korea)||3935/36 (October 2/3)|
|Islamic calendar||1010/11 (turn of the year 20/21 June)|
|Jewish calendar||5362/63 (September 15/16)|
|Coptic calendar||1318/19 (September 10-11)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1912/13 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1913/14 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1658/59 (April)|
Politics and world events
Nine Years War
- January 3rd : The siege of Kinsale in the Nine Years' War ends with the decisive victory of the attacking English . The Irish , supported by Spanish auxiliaries, have to surrender the city after three months of siege.
- June 5th / June 18th : The siege of Dunboy Castle in County Cork in Ireland ends with the victory of the English troops. The Nine Years War is practically lost for the Irish rebels. They turn to guerrilla fighting.
Eighty Years War
- Moritz of Orange conquers the city of Grave in the Eighty Years War , which becomes part of the Netherlands .
Other events in Europe
- 21 / December 22 : In the L'Escalade , the city defended Geneva successfully against a night attack by a band of mercenaries of Duke Charles Emmanuel I of Savoy .
- The English captain Bartholomew Gosnold is the first European to set foot on the island of Nantucket , which is inhabited by around 3,000 members of the Wampanoag tribe.
- Under the leadership of Captain James Lancaster , five £ 72,000 ships land at Aceh in Sumatra on June 5th . The first step in the formation of the English East Indian Society .
science and technology
The Italian doctor and naturalist Ulisse Aldrovandi publishes the zoological work De animalibus insectis libri VII .
The Jesuit missionary Matteo Ricci published the world map Kunyu Wanguo Quantu in China , which combines European and Chinese geographical knowledge and was essential for the growing Chinese understanding of the world.
- The Italian baroque painter Caravaggio completes the oil painting Amor as the winner . The Latin title Amor vincit omnia goes back to an eclogue of Virgil .
- The Flemish painter Jan Brueghel the Elder creates the oil painting Battle of Issus .
- The construction of Frederiksburg Castle, which lasted until 1623 , began in the Danish Zealand .
The Italian philosopher and Dominican Tommaso Campanella publishes La città del Sole ( The Sun State ) - the utopia of a perfect Christian-Communist state. In this he attributes all social evils to private property . He wants to eliminate this with a collectivist social order that encompasses all areas of life. According to him, precisely determined requirement plans determine production .
Music and theater
- December 5th : The world premiere of the opera Eurydice by Giulio Caccini takes place in the Palazzo Pitti in Florence.
- Figured bass : With his 100 Concerti ecclesiastici, which are revolutionary in this respect, the baroque composer Lodovico Grossi da Viadana publishes the first proven solo compositions in the history of church music, which do not derive their harmony from the coexistence of different, contrapuntal solo parts, but rather through a keyboard or also Plucked instrument are supported.
- Cornelius Becker publishes the Psalter Dauids Gesangweis .
In the second edition of his book Von Zauberey vnd Zauberern Thorough Report against the persecution of witches and torture , the Palatinate Pastor Anton Praetorius uses his name for the first time. In 1598 he published the first edition under a pseudonym.
At the same time the publisher gives Adamsberg a remake of the first time in Munich in 1589 appeared witches treatise treaty of the Bekanntnuß of wizards and witches of Trier auxiliary bishop and witches theorist Peter Binsfeld out.
Date of birth saved
- January 3 : Michael Ludovici , German Lutheran theologian († 1680 )
- January 29th : Amalie Elisabeth von Hanau-Münzenberg , Countess of Hessen-Kassel († 1651 )
- February 14 : Francesco Cavalli , Italian composer and organist († 1676 )
- February 14 : Wilhelm V , Landgrave of Hesse-Kassel († 1637 )
- February 18 : Per Brahe the Younger , Swedish statesman († 1680 )
- February 18 : Michelangelo Cerquozzi , Italian painter († 1660 )
- March 4 : Kanō Tan'yū , Japanese painter († 1674 )
- End of April: William Lawes , English composer and musician († 1645 )
- May 2 : Athanasius Kircher , German Jesuit and scholar († 1680 )
- May 25 : Zhu Yujian , Chinese emperor of the southern Min Dynasty († 1646 )
- May 26 : Philippe de Champaigne , French painter († 1674 )
- June 25 : Rudolf Christian , Count of East Friesland from 1625 to 1628 († 1628 )
- July 14 : Jules Mazarin , French cardinal and politician († 1661 )
- August 5 : Andreas Kunad , German educator and Lutheran theologian († 1662 )
- August 10 : Gilles Personne de Roberval , French mathematician († 1675 )
- August 26 : Christoph Philipp Richter , German legal scholar († 1673 )
- August 31 : Amalie zu Solms-Braunfels , Princess of Orange and Countess of Nassau († 1675 )
- September 29 : Algernon Percy, 10th Earl of Northumberland , English peer and politician († 1668 )
- November 1 : Friedrich Scultetus , German Protestant theologian († 1658 )
- November 22nd : Elisabeth de Bourbon , Queen of Spain and Portugal († 1644 ).
- November 23 : Ludwig Philipp von Pfalz-Simmern , administrator of the Palatinate († 1655 )
Exact date of birth unknown
Date of death secured
- January 6th : Andreas Raselius , German composer (* between 1561 and 1563)
- February 2 : David Peifer , Chancellor of Saxony, (* 1530 )
- February 3 : Paul Melissus , neo-Latin humanist writer (* 1539 )
- February 3 : Martin Ruland the Elder , German doctor and alchemist (* 1532 )
- February 19 : Philippe-Emmanuel de Lorraine , Duke of Mercoeur (* 1558 )
- March 8 : Joachim vom Berge , German diplomat and statesman (* 1526 )
- March 11 : Emilio de 'Cavalieri , Italian composer, organist, diplomat, choreographer and dancer (* 1550 )
- March 22nd : Agostino Carracci , Italian painter and engraver (* 1557 )
- April 12th : Nikolaus von Reusner , German legal scholar (* 1545 )
- April 16 : Antonmaria Salviati , Cardinal of the Roman Church (* 1537 )
- May 17 : Jürgen von Fahrensbach , Livonian general (* 1551 )
- May 27 : Jan Brandt , Polish theologian and composer (* 1554 )
- June 29th : Bonaventura Hahn , elected Prince-Bishop of Breslau (* 1540 )
- July 10 : Henni Arneken , German politician (* 1539 )
- July 17 : Friedrich Wilhelm I , Duke of Saxe-Weimar (* 1562 )
- July 31 : Charles de Gontaut , Duke of Biron, French military leader and diplomat, Marshal of France (* 1562 )
- September 3 : Giacomo della Porta , Italian architect and sculptor (* around 1532 )
- September 11th : Sebastian Artomedes , Protestant theologian and hymn poet (* 1544 )
- September 12 : Andreas von Rauchbar , legal scholar; Doctor and professor of law in Wittenberg, electoral privy councilor and vice chancellor and heir to Hemsendorff (* 1559 )
- September 13 : Vittoria Farnese , Princess of Parma and Piacenza (* 1521 )
- September 14th : Jean Passerat , French writer and poet (* 1534 )
- October 7th : Thomas Schweicker , armless art writer (* 1541 )
Exact date of death unknown
- Reinhold Anrep , Estonian District Administrator and Swedish Field Marshal
- Juan de Fuca , Greek navigator (* 1536 )