|Paul V. on.||chivalric novel Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes appears.|
|Gunpowder Plot planned by Robert Catesby and Guy Fawkes, among others , is revealed.|
|1605 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||1053/54 (turn of the year July)|
|Ethiopian calendar||1597/98 (turn of the year 10/11 September)|
|Bengali solar calendar||1010/11 (beginning of April 14th or 15th)|
|Buddhist calendar||2148/49 (southern Buddhism); 2147/48 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||71st (72nd) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||967/968 (turn of the year April)|
|Dangun era (Korea)||3938/39 (October 2/3)|
|Islamic calendar||1013/14 (turn of the year 18/19 May)|
|Jewish calendar||5365/66 (September 12/13)|
|Coptic calendar||1321/22 (September 10-11)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1915/16 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1916/17 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1661/62 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
Northern and Eastern Europe
- April 8th : King Charles IX. of Sweden founds the city of Oulu at the mouth of the Oulujoki .
- Russia: " Time of Troubles ": A man who claims to be the youngest son of Ivan the Terrible , Dmitri Ivanovich , moves, supported by Polish-Lithuanian troops and in secret agreement with King Sigismund III of Poland . Wasa in Moscow and is on 21 July for crowned Czar . His opponents claim that the fake Dimitri is actually called Grigory Otrepjew and that he is a monk from the Chudov Monastery.
Eighty Years War
- October 9th : As part of the Eighty Years War , the First Battle of Mülheim takes place between the army of the United Netherlands under Moritz of Orange and Spanish troops on the territory of the historic Broich rule . The state troops initially succeed in driving the Spaniards out of Mülheim and liberating Broich Castle. However, when the news spread that the Spanish commander-in-chief Ambrosio Spinola was on the march with more troops, the Dutch withdrew because they overestimated the strength of the Spanish troops.
- November 5 : The Gunpowder Plot against the King of England James I planned by the Catholic landlords under the leadership of Robert Catesby is betrayed, and the explosives expert Guy Fawkes is arrested while it is being carried out.
- November 8th : The Gunpowder conspirators Robert Catesby, Thomas Percy, Christopher Wright and John Wright are killed in the arrest by Sir Richard Walsh, the High Sheriff of Worcestershire. Several others are arrested.
- During the reign of the Grand Master Alof de Wignacourt , construction work began on St Martin's Tower , the first of the so-called Wignacourt Towers , to defend Malta .
- The founder of the Tokugawa shogunate, Tokugawa Ieyasu , resigns and makes his eldest son Tokugawa Hidetada the 2nd shogun . However, he kept de facto power in his hands until his death in 1616 .
Other events in Asia
- April 25 : After the death of Naresuan , his brother Ekathotsarot is crowned king of the Thai kingdom of Ayutthaya .
- August 6 : The expansion of the Persians under Abbas I leads to a victory over the Ottomans at Tabriz .
- The Portuguese adventurer Filipe de Brito e Nicote declares himself King of Syriam in Unterbirma.
- The first newspaper Relation all Fuernemmen and memorable histories appears in Strasbourg , Johann Carolus asks for protection from the reprint of his news papers.
- Foundation of the Pontifical Bank Banco di Santo Spirito in Rome.
- The Ustersbacher brewery is founded.
- February 10 : The first known performance of William Shakespeare's comedy The Merchant of Venice takes place at the Palace of Whitehall in London, in the presence of King James I. The plot is based on Il Pecorone by Giovanni Fiorentino and the 195th story of the Gesta Romanorum collection of anecdotes .
- Miguel de Cervantes ' first part of Don Quixote appears.
- After his appointment as Cardinal Nepot, Scipione Caffarelli Borghese acquired the Villa Borghese in Rome.
On March 3rd, Pope Clement VIII dies in Rome after a 13-year pontificate . On April 1st, with the support of the French, but against the wishes of the Spanish cardinals, the conclave elects Alessandro Ottaviano de 'Medici as his successor. This takes the name of his uncle Leo X. and calls himself Leo XI. Shortly after his election, when he was about to solemnly move into the Lateran, Leo, who was already 70 years old, fell ill, probably with pneumonia, and died after only 27 days as Pope. On May 16 then selects the conclave Camillo Borghese, the youngest member of the College of Cardinals , the new pope, the name Paul V. takes. After the election, he appoints his nephew as a so-called cardinal nephew as cardinal and cardinal state secretary .
- February 3 : The Keichō-Nankaidō earthquake occurs east of Japan . The tsunami that followed probably killed several thousand people.
Historical maps and views
First half of the year
- February 5 : Balthasar Balduin German Lutheran theologian († 1652 )
- February 23 : Frans Banninck Cocq , Regent of Amsterdam († 1655 )
- April 8th : Philip IV , King of Spain, Naples and Sicily and as Philip III. King of Portugal († 1665 )
- April 18 : Giacomo Carissimi , Italian composer († 1674 )
- April 20 : Christian Carpzov , German lawyer and legal scholar († 1642 )
Second half of the year
- August 6th : Johann Philipp von Schönborn , Archbishop of Mainz († 1673 )
- August 15 : Wenceslaus Leszczynski , Bishop of Warmia, Archbishop of Gniezno and Primate of Poland-Lithuania († 1666 )
- August 23 : Paul Marquard Schlegel , German medic and botanist († 1653 )
- August 25 : Philipp Moritz von Hanau-Münzenberg , Count of Hanau-Münzenberg († 1638 )
- August 29 : Johann Wilhelm Simler , Swiss poet († 1672 )
- September 19 : Martin Weise , German physician († 1693 )
- September 23 : Daniel Czepko , German poet († 1660 )
- October 19 : Thomas Browne , English philosopher († 1682 )
- October 22 : Frédéric-Maurice de La Tour d'Auvergne , Duke of Bouillon, French general († 1652 )
- December 22nd : Balthasar Rösler , German surveyor († 1673 )
- December 23 : Tianqi , fifteenth emperor of the Chinese Ming dynasty († 1627 )
Exact date of birth unknown
- Johann Konrad Schragmüller († 1675 ). German clergyman, theologian and university professor
- Nishiyama Sōin , Japanese poet († 1682 )
- James Thynne , English nobleman and politician († 1670 )
Born around 1605
First half of the year
- January 16 : Eitel Friedrich IV. , Count of Hohenzollern-Hechingen (* 1545 )
- February 7th : Salomon Gesner , German Lutheran theologian (* 1559 )
- March 3 : Ippolito Aldobrandini, under the name of Clement VIII Pope (* 1536 )
- March 17th : Pieter Bast , Dutch draftsman, engraver and cartographer (* around 1570 )
- March 21 : Johann Bökel , Dutch physician (* 1535 )
- March 26 : Jakob Ayrer , German writer (* around 1544 )
- April 10 : Albrecht VII , Count of Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt (* 1537 )
- April 23 : Boris Godunow , Tsar and Grand Duke of Russia (* 1552 )
- April 25 : Naresuan , King of Ayutthaya in Thailand (* 1555 )
- April 27 : Leo XI. , Pope (* 1535 )
- May 2 : Georg Gadner , Württemberg cartographer, chronicler and geographer (* 1522 )
- May 4th : Ulisse Aldrovandi , also known as Ulysses Aldrovandus (Aldrovandus for short), Italian doctor and naturalist (* 1522 )
- May 7th : Johann Hermann , German medic (* 1527 )
- May 10th : Casimir VI. , non-ruling Duke of Pomerania (* 1557 )
Second half of the year
- October 13 : Théodore de Bèze , Geneva theologian and reformer of French origin (* 1519 )
- October 27 : Akbar I , Mughal Mughal of India (* 1542 )
- October 31 : Johann III. , Duke of Saxe-Weimar (* 1570 )
- November 10 : Safiye , wife of Sultan Murad III. and influential woman in the Ottoman Empire (* around 1550 )
- November 14th : Anna Maria , princess from the Anhalt-Bernburg-Zerbst line, princess abbess of Gernrode and duchess of Brieg, Liegnitz, Wohlau and Ohlau (* 1561 )
- December 25th : Marino Grimani , 89th Doge of Venice (* 1532 )
- December 29th : John Davis , English navigator and explorer (* 1550 )
Exact date of death unknown
- Friedrich von Ahlefeldt , heir to Seestermühe, Seegaad, Kasseedorf and Arlewatt, District Councilor of Aabenraa and District Administrator of Holstein (* 1551 )
- Pedro Bermúdez , Spanish composer (* 1558 )
- Antoine Francisque , French lutenist and composer (* around 1570 )