Ulisse Aldrovandi, son of noble parents and nephew of Pope Gregory III. , first learned the trade and then studied law in Bologna , philosophy in Padua and medicine in Rome . There he was suspected of heresy in 1549 and was briefly imprisoned, after which he returned to Bologna. In the same year the Pisan Luca Ghini aroused his interest in botany , in the following year Guillaume Rondelet his interest in zoology .
In 1552 Aldrovandi became a doctor of philosophy, in 1553 a doctor of medicine (both at the University of Bologna), and in 1554 he became a lecturer . In 1555 he became professor of philosophy and in 1556 together with Cesare Odoni for medical botany. The later Marburg university professor Georg Marius was one of his students . From 1571 to 1600 Aldrovandi held the chair of medicine at the University of Bologna, where he founded the Botanical Garden in 1567 , one of the very first.
The main work by Ulisse Aldrovandi is the Historia animalium , which consists of eleven volumes . He himself only worked on the birds , the insects and the invertebrates ; the other volumes were only published after his death by Johannes Cornelius Uterverius († 1619), Thomas Dempster and Bartholomäus Ambrosinus .
The work was published under the following titles:
- Ornithologiae libri XII (Bologna 1599–1603, 3 vol .; last Bologna 1861);
- De animalibus insectis libri VII (1602, last 1638);
- De reliquis animalibus exsanguinibus libri IV (1606, last 1654).
- G. Montalenti: Aldrovandi, Ulisse. In: Alberto M. Ghisalberti (Ed.): Dizionario Biografico degli Italiani (DBI). Volume 2: Albicante – Ammannati. Istituto della Enciclopedia Italiana, Rome 1960.
- Ilse Jahn (Ed.): History of Biology. Spektrum Akademischer Verlag, 2000, p. 762, ISBN 3-8274-1023-1 .
- Wolfgang Harms : Significance as part of the matter in standard zoological works of the early modern period (Konrad Gesner, Ulisse Aldrovandi). In: Hartmut Boockmann, Bernd Moeller , Karl Stackmann (eds.): Life lessons and world designs in the transition from the Middle Ages to the modern age. Politics - Education - Natural History - Theology. Report on colloquia of the commission to research the culture of the late Middle Ages 1983 to 1987 (= treatises of the Academy of Sciences in Göttingen: philological-historical class. Volume III, No. 179). Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, Göttingen 1989, ISBN 3-525-82463-7 , pp. 352-369.
- Lotte Burkhardt: Directory of eponymous plant names . Extended Edition. Botanic Garden and Botanical Museum Berlin, Free University Berlin Berlin 2018. 
- Literature by and about Ulisse Aldrovandi in the catalog of the German National Library
- Digitized versions of Aldrovandi's works in the Göttingen Digitization Center (GDZ)
- Digitized works by Aldrovandi - Service Commun de la Documentation of the University of Strasbourg
- Aldrovandi website and museum of the University of Bologna ( Memento of May 17, 2013 in the Internet Archive ) - Extensive online archive with digitized works by Aldrovandi
- Ulisse Ardrovandi at arthistoricum.net - the context of the history of science and digitized works in the "History of Art History" portal
Works in the digital library " AMS Historica" of the University of Bologna
- Antidotarii Bononiensis, siue de vsitata ratione componendorum, miscendorumque medicamentorum, epitome , Bologna, 1574 .
- Ornithologiae hoc est De auibus historiae libri XII. , Bologna, 1599 .
- Ornithologiae tomus alter cum indice copiosissimo , Bologna, 1600 .
- Ornithologiae tomus tertius, ac postremus , Bologna, 1603 .
- De reliquis animalibus exanguibus libri quatuor , Bologna, 1606 .
- De piscibus libri V, et De cetis lib. vnus , Bologna, 1613 .
- Quadrupedum omnium bisulcorum historia , Bologna, 1621 .
- De animalibus insectis libri septem, cum singulorum iconibus ad viuum expressis , Bologna, 1602 .
- Serpentum, et draconum historiae libri duo Bartholomaeus Ambrosinus , Bologna, 1640 .
- Monstrorum historia cum Paralipomenis historiae omnium animalium , Bologna, 1642 . Digitized edition of the University and State Library Düsseldorf 1658.
- Musaeum metallicum in libros IV distributum Bartholomaeus Ambrosinus , Bologna, 1648 .
- Dendrologiae naturalis scilicet arborum historiae libri duo sylua glandaria, acinosumq , Bologna, 1668 .
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Aldrovandus, Ulysses|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Italian doctor and naturalist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||September 11, 1522|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Bologna|
|DATE OF DEATH||May 4, 1605|
|Place of death||Bologna|