|Mikhail Fyodorowitsch Romanov is elected Tsar in Russia .||
Pieter Snayers becomes free
master of the Guild of Luke .
|Globe Theater burns to the ground.|
|1613 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||1061/62 (turn of the year July)|
|Ethiopian calendar||1605/06 (September 10/11)|
|Bengali solar calendar||1018/1019 (beginning of April 14th or 15th)|
|Buddhist calendar||2156/57 (southern Buddhism); 2155/56 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||71st (72nd) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||975/976 (turn of the year April)|
|Dangun era (Korea)||3946/47 (October 2/3)|
|Islamic calendar||1021/22 (turn of the year 20/21 February)|
|Jewish calendar||5373/74 (September 15/16)|
|Coptic calendar||1329/30 (10/11 September)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1923/24 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1924/25 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1669/70 (April)|
Politics and world events
Holy Roman Empire
- Wolfgang Wilhelm , heir to the throne in Pfalz-Neuburg , marries Magdalene of Bavaria in the Frauenkirche in Munich and secretly converts to the Catholic faith.
- January 20 : The Peace of Knäred ends the Kalmar War between Denmark and Sweden , which has been going on since 1611 . Sweden loses the Baltic States and Finnmark and pays one million Reichstaler to keep the Älvsborg fortress .
- February 21 : In Russia , Mikhail Fyodorovich Romanov , who comes from a non-princely boyar family, is elected tsar. He becomes the founder of the Romanov dynasty . This ends the " time of turmoil " in Tsarist Russia . Michael I, who was not present in Moscow during his election, was briefed by a delegation on March 13th at his whereabouts, the fortified Ipatiev monastery near Kolomna . He accepted the election on April 14 , but did not arrive at his future residence in Moscow until May 2 .
- July 11 : Michael I is crowned Tsar of Russia in Moscow.
European colonies in Asia
- April 20 : The Dutchman Apollonius Schotte conquers the fortress on Solor for the first time , the most important Portuguese base on the Lesser Sunda Islands . Later that year, Schotte also captured a number of bases on Timor .
Other events in Asia
- Anaukpetlun , King of Ava of the Taungu Dynasty, conquered the cities of Pegu and Syriam in an effort to make himself ruler of all of Burma . When he then turns to Tavoy and Tenasserim , which are Siamese occupied territories at that time , he comes into conflict with the Kingdom of Ayutthaya . Another Siamese-Burmese war begins.
science and technology
- The university in Cordoba in what is now Argentina is founded by the Jesuits .
- The Flemish Jesuit monk , mathematician and physicist Franciscus Aguilonius publishes his six-volume main work Opticorum Libri Sex Philosophis Iuxta Ac Mathematicis Utiles , which includes his color theory . Among other things, he introduces the optical term horopter .
- Galileo Galilei describes in his lettere solaris his observation of sunspots and the knowledge that the sun has a rotation of its own.
- June 29th : During one of the first performances of the historical drama Henry VIII by William Shakespeare , which had only recently premiered , Shakespeare's theater, the first Globe Theater , catches fire and burns to the ground.
Miguel de Cervantes publishes the Novelas ejemplares . It is a collection of twelve short stories . The collection became a great success and over the years was published in countless editions and translated into numerous languages. Cervantes sees himself as the first to use the genre of the novella in Spanish literature. In his foreword he emphasizes that, in contrast to his novellas, the other "novelas" widespread in Spain are only translations and imitations of foreign models. The exemplary quality of his novellas is given in two ways. On the one hand, it consists in being exemplary in the moral sense and, on the other hand, being exemplary in relation to literary form can be assumed. However, Cervantes emphasizes in his preface that he is less concerned with preaching a certain moral than with making his empty hours interesting for the reader. Entertainment and moral instruction are both expressed in the exemplary novellas .
- After another outbreak of the plague in his parish in Fraustadt, Pastor Valerius Herberger composes the spiritual song Valet I want to give you .
- May 29th : Heavy thunderstorms trigger the Thuringian Flood . The bad nature is responsible for the deaths of 2,261 people.
Historical maps and views
Date of birth saved
- March 1 : Konrad Post , German Protestant clergyman († 1669 )
- March 12 : André Le Nôtre , French landscape architect († 1700 )
- March 24th : Antonia von Württemberg , Princess of Württemberg, writer, patroness and Christian Kabbalist († 1679 )
- March 29 : Franz Jünger , Mayor of Dresden (1679–1680) († 1680 )
- March 30 : Johann Sebastian Midnight , German theologian, rhetorician, pedagogue, playwright and Baroque poet († 1679 )
- April 7 : Gerard Dou , Dutch painter († 1675 )
- April 29 : Christoph Bach , German musician, grandfather of Johann Sebastian Bach († 1661 )
- June 4 : Michael Conrad Hirt , German painter († 1671 )
- June 10 : Johann Georg II , Elector of Saxony († 1680 )
- June 13 : Johann Ernst von Hanau-Munzenberg-Schwarzenfels , Count of Hanau-Munzenberg († 1642 )
- June 22nd : Lambert Pietkin , composer and organist working in the Principality of Liège († 1696 )
- July 15 : Gu Yanwu , Chinese polymath († 1682 )
- July 16 : Alderano Cibo , Italian cardinal († 1700 )
- July 16 : Elisabeth Louise Juliane von Pfalz-Zweibrücken , Abbess of Herford († 1667 )
- August 7th : Wilhelm Friedrich , Count of Nassau-Dietz, governor of Friesland, Groningen and Drenthe († 1664 )
- August 20 : Sophie Elisabeth von Mecklenburg , Duchess of Braunschweig and Lüneburg and Princess of Braunschweig-Wolfenbüttel († 1676 )
- September 15 : François de La Rochefoucauld , French writer († 1680 )
- October 3 : Marion Delorme , French courtesan († 1650 )
- November 24th : Adrian Wilhelm von Viermund , Freiherr zu Neersen, German general and diplomat († 1681 )
- December 5 : Carl Gustaf Wrangel , Swedish military leader and statesman († 1676 )
- December 15 : Georg Heß , German educator († 1694 )
Exact date of birth unknown
- Margaretha von Ahlefeldt , German prioress († 1681 )
- Jacques d'Arthois , Flemish landscape painter († 1686 )
- Luisa von Guzmán , Portuguese noblewoman, Duchess of Braganza and Queen of Portugal († 1666 )
- Khushal Khan Khattak , Pashtun poet († 1689 )
- January 10th : Katharina Güschen , victim of the witch hunt in Lustheide
- January 18 : Regina Protmann , founder of the Order of St. Catherine and Catholic saint (* 1552 )
- January 27 : Anna of Saxony , Duchess of Saxe-Coburg (* 1567 )
- March 24th : Friedrich Taubmann , German humanist scholar and poet (* 1565 )
- March 27 : Sigismund Báthory , Prince of Transylvania (* 1572 )
- April 9 : Johannes Caselius , German humanist, lawyer and philologist (* 1533 )
- April 24th : Otto von Grünrade , German Evangelical Reformed church politician (* 1545 )
- May 1st : Abraham II of Dohna , Silesian nobleman and statesman (* 1561 )
- May 18 : Othmar Reiner , Mayor of St. Gallen (* 1542 )
- June 8 : Ludovico Cigoli , Italian poet, painter, sculptor and architect (* 1559 )
- July 9 : Jacob Spengler : Mayor of St. Gallen (* 1537 )
- July 20 : Heinrich Julius , Duke of Braunschweig-Lüneburg (* 1564 )
- August 18 : Giovanni Maria Artusi , Italian music theorist, composer and writer (* around 1530 )
- August 23 : Levin Buchius , German legal scholar (* around 1550 )
- September 8 : Carlo Gesualdo , Italian prince and composer (* around 1560 )
- September 22nd : Burkhard Leemann , Swiss Protestant clergyman and Antistes from Zurich (* 1531 )
- September 28 : Ernst von Brandenburg , Margrave of Brandenburg (* 1583 )
- October 27 : Gabriel Báthory , Prince of Transylvania (* 1589 )
- October 27 : Johann Bauhin , Swiss doctor and botanist (* 1541 )
- November 14 : Theodor Adamius , German lawyer and university professor (* 1566 )
- November 22nd : Matthäus Enzlin , German lawyer (* 1556 )
- December 6th : Anton Praetorius , reformed pastor, fighter against witch trials and torture (* 1560 )
- December 7th : Simon VI. , Count zur Lippe (* 1554 )