Calendar overview 1533
Atahualpa is murdered
by the Spaniards .
|Anne Boleyn becomes the second wife of Henry VIII of England .|
|Heinrich von Orléans marries Catherine de Medici .|
|1533 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||981/982 (turn of the year July)|
|Aztec calendar||1. Feuerstein - Ce Tecpatl (until the end of January / beginning of February: 13th pipes - Matlactli omey Acatl )|
|Buddhist calendar||2076/77 (southern Buddhism); 2075/76 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||70th (71st) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||895/896 (turn of the year April)|
|Dangun era (Korea)||3866/67 (October 2/3)|
|Islamic calendar||939/940 (turn of the year 22/23 July)|
|Jewish calendar||5293/94 (September 19-20)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1843/44 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1844/45 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1589/90 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- January 25th : The English King Henry VIII secretly marries Anne Boleyn as the second wife, although he is not yet divorced from Catherine of Aragón .
- May 23 : The Archbishop of Canterbury , Thomas Cranmer , invalidates the marriage of Henry VIII and Catherine of Aragón .
- April 10th : After the death of Friedrich I. his son Christian III. King of Denmark and Norway and Duke of Schleswig and Holstein . The Danish imperial council , which is dominated by Catholics, refuses to appoint the ardent Lutheran as king and speaks out in favor of freeing Christian II , who is in captivity , and reinstating him as king. With that he triggers the count feud .
Holy Roman Empire
- September 17th : Margrave Philipp I of Baden dies without a male heir. His two brothers Ernst and Bernhard III. divide their possessions among themselves. The resulting margravates of Baden-Durlach and Baden-Baden existed side by side until reunification in 1771 .
- October 14 : In the battle of Jemgum , the troops of the Duchy of Geldern and Balthasar von Esens victoriously defeat those of the county of East Friesland during the Geldrian feud .
- December 4th : Ivan IV ("the terrible") is after the death of his father Vasily III. Grand Duke of Moscow .
Spanish voyages of discovery and conquest
- July 26th : During the conquest of the Inca Empire by Spanish troops under the leadership of Francisco Pizarro , the Inca Atahualpa is publicly executed on flimsy grounds. Francisco Pizarro's group appoints Atahualpa's younger brother Túpac Huallpa as the new Inca, but he dies before they can reach Cuzco . Manco Cápac II becomes the new Inca, but without actually having power over the Spanish-occupied Inca Empire .
- November 14th / 15th : Conquest of Cusco
- December 21 : The Spanish navigator Hernando de Grijalva discovers the island, later renamed Socorro , as the first of the Mexican Revillagigedo Islands in the eastern Pacific .
- The five-year-old Ratsada succeeds his late father Borommaracha IV. To the throne of the Siamese kingdom of Ayutthaya . But Chairacha , the half-brother of the late king, also has ambitions for the throne.
- May 23 : The bookseller and publisher Moritz Goltz , who founded a publishing association with Bartholomäus Vogel and Christoph Schramm in Wittenberg, acquires the company of the heavily indebted Christian Döring for 800 guilders . In the years that followed, he made his fortune by printing Luther Bibles.
- November 18th : Saxon coin history : The Saxon coin separation ends.
- The Klosterbräu Bamberg is founded.
science and technology
- June to September: Comet C / 1533 M1 is observed worldwide . Since it can be seen with the naked eye, it is counted among the great comets .
- The first of the rulers' tombs of the Yarkant Khanate is laid.
- Landgrave Philipp I dissolves the Haina monastery after the introduction of the Reformation in the Landgraviate of Hesse and founds one of four high hospitals in Haina for the poor rural population in his country in August . The entire former monastery property is retained in the hospital so that the costs can be met from its income. The Landgraf inaugurated on August 26 , the State Hospital Merxhausen for female patients and then further travels to Haina, where he dedicates the National Hospital for men.
- October 28 : The French Dauphin Heinrich von Orléans and Caterina de 'Medici marry. Both are 14 years old at this point. The wedding ceremony is carried out by Katharina's great uncle, Pope Clement VII .
- In England, the Buggery Act 1533 comes into force, making homosexuality , anal intercourse and sodomy a death penalty . The law remains in force until 1828 .
- January 31 : The Diocese of Goa is established out of the Diocese of Funchal . It covers the entire territory from the Cape of Good Hope to Japan.
- June 11th : Pope Clement VII threatens the English King Henry VIII with the ban because of his marriage to Anne Boleyn.
- June 26th : Oath of the assembled citizens of Hanover under their "word holder" Diderik Arnsborch on the market square, thus beginning of the Reformation in Hanover
- The statute in Restraint of Appeals forbids the English clergy to turn to the Pope in church matters.
First half of the year
- January 2 : Johann Major , German Lutheran theologian, humanist and poet († 1600 )
- January 28 : Paul Luther , physician and son of Luther († 1593 )
- February 5 : Andreas Dudith , Hungarian humanist and diplomat († 1589 )
- February 28 : Michel Eyquem de Montaigne , French humanist, politician, philosopher and founder of essay writing († 1592 )
- March 10 : Francesco III. Gonzaga , eldest son of Duke Federico II († 1550 )
- March (baptized): Anna von Egmond , Dutch noblewoman († 1558 )
- April 8 : Claudio Merulo , Italian composer and organist († 1604 )
- April 24 : Wilhelm I , leader in the Dutch War of Independence († 1584 )
- May 18 : Johannes Caselius , German humanist, lawyer and philologist († 1613 )
- June 12 : Wolfgang von Ysenburg-Ronneburg , regent of the Langen district († 1597 )
Second half of the year
- August 2nd : Theodor Zwinger , Swiss scholar and son of the furrier Leonhard Zwinger († 1588 )
- August 7th : Alonso de Ercilla y Zúñiga , Spanish nobleman, soldier and writer, founder of Hispanic American literature and "inventor" of the Indian novel († 1594 )
- August 7 : Valentin Weigel , German mystical writer († 1588 )
- September 7 : Elizabeth I , Queen of England († 1603 )
- 15 / 25 September : Catherine of Austria , Queen of Poland and Duchess of Mantua († 1572 )
- September 27 : Stephan Báthory , King of Poland and Prince of Transylvania from 1571 to 1575 († 1586 )
- November 13 : Agathe , Countess of Tübingen († 1609 )
- November 22nd : Alfonso II. D'Este , Duke of Ferrara, Modena and Reggio († 1597 )
- December 1 : Basilius Amerbach , Swiss lawyer and art collector († 1591 )
- December 13 : Erik XIV , King of Sweden († 1577 )
Exact date of birth unknown
- Abdullah II , prince of the Uzbeks († 1598 )
- Lambert Auer , German Jesuit, preacher and theologian († 1573 )
- Ōmura Sumitada , Japanese prince (daimyō) († 1587 )
Date of death secured
- February 8 : Juan Martín de Ampiés , Spanish officer
- March 19 : John Bourchier, 2nd Baron Berners , English nobleman and politician (* around 1467 )
- April 10 : Frederick I , Duke of Schleswig and Holstein, King of Denmark and King of Norway (* 1471 )
- May 31 : Ambrosius Ehinger , German conquistador and first governor of Little Venice (* before 1500)
- June 9 : Sebastian Hofmeister , Swiss theologian and reformer (* 1494 )
- June 25th : Mary Tudor , English nobleman and Queen of France (* 1496 )
- July 6 : Ludovico Ariosto , Italian poet (* 1474 )
- July 26th : Atahualpa , ruler of the Inca Empire (* after 1500)
- September 17th : Philip I , Margrave of Baden (* 1479 )
- November 25th : Philip of Savoy-Nemours , Bishop of Geneva and Duke of Nemours (* 1490 )
Exact date of death unknown
- Borommaracha IV. , King of the Siamese Empire of Ayutthaya (* 1502 )
- Johann Eberlin von Günzburg , Reformation theologian and author (* around 1470 )
- Hans Grüninger , German printer and publisher (* 1455 )
- Túpac Huallpa , last formal ruler of the Inca Empire
- Veit Stoss , German sculptor and carver (* around 1447 )
Died around 1533
- Duarte Pacheco Pereira , Portuguese navigator, astronomer and geographer (* around 1469 )
- 1533/ 1536 : Muhammad XII. , Sultan of Granada (* 15th century)