Theodor Zwinger the Elder
Zwinger was the son of the furrier Leonhard Zwinger and Christine Herbster, a sister of the printer Johannes Oporinus , who was her second marriage to Professor Conrad Lycosthenes . Zwinger studied from 1548 at the University of Basel and then in France (where he came into contact with Petrus Ramus ) and in Italy (where he received his doctorate in medicine from Girolamo Mercuriale in 1559 at the University of Padua ). When he returned to Basel in the same year, he first practiced as a doctor and married. He turned down a call to the medical chair in Marburg, which had been vacant since 1560, in order to serve a promise in accordance with his hometown. He received a professorship in Greek in 1565 and in ethics in 1571 . From 1580 he was a professor of theoretical medicine. In 1565 and 1572 he was rector of the University of Basel.
Zwinger was one of the first university scholars to take up the works of Paracelsus . He was attacked for this, but was able to build up a circle of Paracelsists in Basel. Heinrich Khunrath and Johann Arndt were also among his students .
Zwinger is editor of the encyclopedia Theatrum Vitae Humanae (1565, 1571, 1586, 1604). When creating the theater he was able to fall back on the knowledge of his stepfather Conrad Lycosthenes. His Methodus Apodemica from 1577 is the foundation of an art of travel based on the principles of a Ramist topic .
- Theatrum Vitae Humanae (see above)
- Methodus Apodemica in eorum gratiam, qui cum fructu in quocunq [ue] tandem vitae genere peregrinari cupiunt; Typis delineata, & cum aliis, tum quatuor praesertim Athenarum vivis exemplis illustrata . Basel 1577; Argentinae 1594 ( digitized version )
- Physiologia medica , ed. v. Jacob Zwinger, Basel 1610
- Specimen Materiae medicae: cum subjunctis ubique Remediorum Formulis in Gratiam & Usum Philiatrorum ac Juniorum Practicorum tumultuaria methodo inter plurimas Mentis Distractiones fideli tamen Opera adornatum . Basel: Thurnisius, 1722 ( digitized version of the University and State Library Düsseldorf )
- R. Thommen : Zwinger, Theodor . In: Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB). Volume 45, Duncker & Humblot, Leipzig 1900, p. 543 f.
- Carlos Gilly : Between Experience and Speculation: Theodor Zwinger and the religious and cultural crisis of his time. In: Basler Zeitschrift für Geschichte und Altertumskunde 77 (1977), pp. 57-137; 79 (1979), pp. 125-233 (digital copies: part 1; PDF; 9.3 MB ; part 2; PDF; 10.2 MB ( memento from June 14, 2013 in the Internet Archive ))
- Erich Wenneker : Zwinger, Theodor. In: Biographisch-Bibliographisches Kirchenlexikon (BBKL). Volume 16, Bautz, Herzberg 1999, ISBN 3-88309-079-4 , Sp. 1597-1600.
- Zwinger, Theodor the Elder In: Herbert Jaumann (Ed.): Handbook of scholarly culture in the early modern period. Vol. 1: Bio-bibliographical repertory . De Gruyter, Berlin / New York 2004, p, 719.
- Helmut Zedelmaier: Navigating the text universe: Theodor Zwinger's Theatrum Vitae Humanae . In: Metaphorik 14 (2008), pp. 113–135 ( PDF )
- Wolf-Dieter Müller-Jahncke : Kennel, Theodor. In: Werner E. Gerabek , Bernhard D. Haage, Gundolf Keil , Wolfgang Wegner (eds.): Enzyklopädie Medizingeschichte. De Gruyter, Berlin / New York 2005, ISBN 3-11-015714-4 , p. 1534.
- Works by and about Theodor Zwinger the Elder in the German Digital Library
- Hubert Steinke : Zwinger, Theodor. In: Historical Lexicon of Switzerland .
- Consortium of European Research Libraries : Theodor Zwinger list of works
- Theodor Zwinger ( Memento from October 21, 2004 in the Internet Archive )
- Latin biography of Melchior Adam, 1620
- Kennel and Paracelsus (PDF; 124 kB)
- The success of medicine at the University of Basel from 1570, University History University of Basel
- Mariacarla Gadebusch Bondio: Medical Aesthetics. Cosmetics and plastic surgery between antiquity and early modern times . Wilhelm Fink Verlag, 2005, ISBN 3770541014 , p. 198 ( online ).
- Rolf Heyers: Dr. Georg Marius, called Mayer von Würzburg (1533-1606). (Dental) medical dissertation Würzburg 1957, p. 25 f.
- Theo Stammen, Wolfgang Weber: Knowledge assurance, knowledge order and knowledge processing: The European model of encyclopedias . Akademie Verlag, 2004, ISBN 3050037768 , p. 51 ( online ).
|SURNAME||Zwinger, Theodor the Elder|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Zwinger, Theodor; Zwinger, Theodore; Zuingero, Theodoro|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Swiss scholar|
|DATE OF BIRTH||August 2, 1533|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Basel , Switzerland|
|DATE OF DEATH||March 10, 1588|
|Place of death||Basel , Switzerland|