Henry IV becomes
King of France .
William Shakespeare's play
Titus Andronicus appears.
Sebastián Raval wrote the
Lamentationes Hieremiae Prophetae .
|1594 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||1042/43 (turn of the year July)|
|Ethiopian calendar||1586/87 (turn of the year 10/11 September)|
|Bengali solar calendar||999/1000 (beginning of April 14th or 15th)|
|Buddhist calendar||2137/38 (southern Buddhism); 2136/37 (alternative calculation according to Buddha's Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||71st (72nd) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||956/957 (turn of the year April)|
|Dangun era (Korea)||3927/28 (October 2/3)|
|Islamic calendar||1002/03 (New Year 15/16 September)|
|Jewish calendar||5354/55 (September 14/15)|
|Coptic calendar||1310/11 (September 10/11)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1904/05 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1905/06 (New Year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1650/51 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
Eastern and Northern Europe
- February 19 : The Polish King Sigismund III. Wasa is crowned King of Sweden in Uppsala . For this he has to guarantee that Sweden can continue to cultivate the Protestant faith. On July 14th, Sigismund travels back to Poland and leaves the business of government to the Swedish Duke Karl as imperial administrator .
England / Ireland
- April 16 : After an eleven-day agonizing agony, Ferdinando Stanley, 5th Earl of Derby , dies on the basis of the legacy of Henry VIII. Second in line to the throne after Queen Elizabeth I , presumably due to poisoning. His death leads to numerous conspiracy theories in the Kingdom of England .
- In Ireland , the Nine Years War begins with an attack by Hugh O'Neill on an English fort .
Western and Central Europe
- February 27 : Henry IV is crowned King of France in the Notre-Dame de Chartres cathedral . On December 27, the Catholic student Jean Châtel carried out an attempted murder on the king. Although the latter wants to spare him, he is executed by wheels and quarters on December 29th . At the same time as the judgment, the court ruled that the members of the Societas Jesu and their students must leave France within three days.
- Maurice of Orange conquered in the Eighty Years' War , the city of Groningen for the Union of Utrecht joined the Dutch Republic .
- The settlement of Surgut am Ob , one of the oldest cities in Siberia , is founded. The place name comes from the Chantic language and means something like "area rich in fish".
Voyages of discovery
- July 10 : The Dutch navigator Willem Barents sighted Novaya Zemlya in the Arctic Ocean and then sails further north along the islands.
science and technology
- The citizen Margaretha Lynnerie founds an institute for the education of girls in Münstereifel , today's Archbishop's St. Angela-Gymnasium .
- The Scuola Grande dei Carmini in Venice is founded.
William Shakespeare's first play Titus Andronicus appears. The earliest documented performance of Shakespeare's first comedy The Comedy of Errors ( The Comedy of Errors ) , whose plot closely follows the comedy Menaechmi the ancient Roman author Plautus modeled, will be held on December 28 in Gray's Inn , a London lawyer school instead. The verse epic The Rape of Lucrece was also created in 1594.
- Andreas Raselius , cantor at the Neupfarrkirche in Regensburg , composes the first German gospel verse .
- November 24 : The foundation stone for the Basílica do Bom Jesus is laid in Goa , the capital of Portuguese India .
- December 18 : The monastery church of the newly founded Capuchin monastery in Innsbruck is consecrated.
Historical maps and views
Date of birth saved
- January 4 : Heinrich von Ryssel , Leipzig councilor and trader († 1640 )
- February 8 : Vincenzo II Gonzaga , Duke of Mantua and Montferrat († 1627 )
- February 21 : Johann Ernst I , Duke of Saxe-Weimar († 1626 )
- March 19 : Aegidius Hunnius the Younger , German Lutheran theologian († 1642 )
- March 25 : Maria Tesselschade Visscher , Dutch painter and engraver († 1649 )
- April 20 : Matthäus Apelt , German composer and hymn poet († 1648 )
- May 2 : Franz Karl von Sachsen-Lauenburg , German nobleman, Prince of Sachsen-Lauenburg, general († 1660 )
- May 9 : Ludwig Heinrich , Count or Prince of Nassau-Dillenburg († 1662 )
- May 11 : Charlotte-Marguerite de Montmorency , mistress of the French King Henry IV († 1650 )
- May 15 : Sophie von Solms-Laubach , Margravine and Regent of Brandenburg-Ansbach († 1651 )
- June 3 : César de Bourbon , Duke of Vendôme, half-brother of Louis XIII. († 1665 )
- June 8 : Gottfried Heinrich Graf zu Pappenheim , commander of a cuirassier regiment in the Habsburg service († 1632 )
- June 15 : Nicolas Poussin , French artist († 1665 )
- July 6 : Friedrich V , Margrave of Baden († 1659 )
- November 2 : Ernestine von Ligne , Countess of Nassau-Siegen († 1668 )
- November 4 : Johann Martin zu Stolberg , Count of Stolberg († 1669 )
- December 19 : Gustav II Adolf , King of Sweden and military leader in the Thirty Years War († 1632 )
Exact date of birth unknown
- Shabdrung Ngawang Namgyel , founder of Bhutan († 1651 )
- Clara Peeters , Flemish painter († 1658 )
- Torsten Stålhandske , Swedish general and commander of the Finnish cavalry troops († 1644 )
First half of the year
- February 2 : Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina , Italian composer (* approx. 1525 )
- February 8 : Elisabeth von der Pfalz , Duchess of Saxony (* 1540 )
- February 12 : Johannes Bugenhagen the Younger , German Lutheran theologian (* 1527 )
- February 14 : William Painter , English writer (* around 1540 )
- April 16 : Ferdinando Stanley, 5th Earl of Derby , English nobleman, No. 2 in the English line of succession (* 1559 )
- June 14 : Orlando di Lasso , Burgundian-German composer (* 1532 )
- June 29 : Niels Kaas , Danish Chancellor (* 1535 )
Second half of the year
- July 16 : Achatius Cureus , German author and neo-Latin poet (* around 1531 )
- July 18 : Lorenz Dürnhofer , German Protestant theologian (* 1532 )
- August 5th : Eleanor of Austria , Duchess of Mantua (* 1534 )
- August: Thomas Kyd , English playwright (* 1558 )
- 11 September : Balthasar Báthory , opponent of the Habsburgs from Transylvania (* 1560 )
- October 16 : William Allen , English cardinal (* 1532 )
- October 19 : Johann Agricola Eisleben , Mayor of Berlin (* mid-16th century)
- October 24th : François d'O , favorite of the French King Henry III.
- November 22nd : Martin Frobisher , English navigator (* around 1535 )
- November 29th : Alonso de Ercilla y Zúñiga , Spanish nobleman, soldier and writer, founder of Hispanic American literature and "inventor" of the Indian novel (* 1533 )
- December 2 : Gerhard Mercator , German mathematician, geographer, philosopher, theologian and cartographer (* 1512 )
- December 5 : Hieronymus Nymmann , German medic (* 1554 )
Exact date of death unknown
- Petrus van der Aa , Flemish lawyer (* 1530 )
- Sievert Jürgen von Ahlefeldt , lord of the Aschau estate
- John Johnson , English lutenist and composer (* around 1540 )
- Manase Dōsan , Japanese doctor (* 1507 )
- Maria Jacoba von Schwarzenberg , abbess of the free world ladies' monastery Buchau (* 1515 )