Calendar overview 1626
Upper Austrian Peasant War broke out .
Johann t'Serclaes von Tilly
defeats Christian IV
of Denmark in the
battle of Lutter .
Peter Minuit buys Manhattan Island
for the Dutch colony of Nieuw Amsterdam .
|1626 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||1074/75 (turn of the year July)|
|Ethiopian calendar||1618/19 (10/11 September)|
|Bengali solar calendar||1031/32 (beginning of April 14th or 15th)|
|Buddhist calendar||2169/70 (southern Buddhism); 2168/69 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||72nd (73rd) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||988/989 (turn of the year April)|
|Dangun era (Korea)||3959/60 (October 2/3)|
|Islamic calendar||1035/36 (turn of the year 21/22 September)|
|Jewish calendar||5386/87 (September 20-21)|
|Coptic calendar||1342/43 (September 10-11)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1936/37 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1937/38 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1682/83 (April)|
Politics and world events
Holy Roman Empire
- April 25 : In the Thirty Years' War Wallenstein defeats the Protestant military leader Ernst von Mansfeld in the battle of Dessau .
- May 21 : The religiously motivated Upper Austrian Peasants' War against the Bavarian occupation breaks out under the leadership of Stefan Fadinger and Christoph Zeller . In Peuerbach , Zeller's peasant army defeated soldiers of the hated governor Adam von Herberstorff . On the same day, Fadinger conquered Eferding and Wels . The next day, Zeller was elected by the farmers as head captain of the Mühlviertel and Machland districts, and Fadinger as head captain of the Traun and Hausruck districts . Fadinger's troops subsequently conquer Kremsmünster and Steyr in order to demand the surrender of Linz from there .
- June 9th : Tilly conquers on May 30th July / June 9, 1626 greg. the Danish occupied Münden .
- June 24 : After a month of siege, the Upper Austrian farmers conquer Freistadt . At the same time, the siege of Linz is under way, which Adam Graf von Herberstorff successfully repulsed on July 21 , after both Stefan Fadinger ( July 5 ) and Christoph Zeller ( July 18 ) suffered wounds in the battle died.
- August 27th : Battle of Lutter am Barenberge (southeast of Hildesheim , southwest of Salzgitter ) between the victorious league troops under Tilly and the Protestants or Danes under Christian IV.
- 9 / 12 November : Gottfried Heinrich Graf zu Pappenheim defeated the Upper Austrian farmers in Eferding and Vöcklabruck .
- December 8th : The Habsburg Archduke Ferdinand III. is crowned King of Hungary .
- December 20 : previously held in check by Wallenstein's troops, Gábor Bethlen , Prince of Transylvania , comes to an agreement with Emperor Ferdinand II after his campaign during the Thirty Years War in the Peace of Pressburg .
- December 24th : Gustav Horn and Jakob De la Gardie defeat the Poles at Wenden.
Other events in Europe
- January 17th : A Swedish army under King Gustav II Adolf defeats a Polish army under the Grand Hetman of Lithuania , Lew Sapieha , near Wallhof in the Polish-Swedish War .
- February 2 : Charles I is crowned King of England in Westminster Abbey .
- March 6 : Edward Cecil, 1st Viscount Wimbledon , is charged with the Privy Council for the disastrous expedition to Cádiz the previous year .
North American colonies
- May 4 : Peter Minuit buys the island of Manhattan from Indians for goods worth 60 Dutch guilders . New Amsterdam can expand further.
- A group of Puritan settlers to Roger Conant founded the place Salem in what is now Massachusetts .
- The Swedish East India Company is founded, an East India Company dealing with trade between Sweden and India and East Asia .
- Cardinal Richelieu founds the Norman Company , an association of Dieppe and Rouen merchants , charged with developing Senegal and Gambia .
- Rembrandt van Rijn paints the painting Balaam's donkey in oil on wood .
- Today's Erasmus-Gymnasium Amberg is founded by the Jesuits.
- The string orchestra Vingt-quatre Violons du Roy is founded at the French court .
First half of the year
- January 9 : Armand Jean Le Bouthillier de Rancé , French nobleman and monk († 1700 )
- January 16 : Lucas Achtschellinck , Flemish landscape painter († 1699 )
- February 5 : Marie de Rabutin-Chantal, Marquise de Sévigné , French nobleman and author of letters († 1696 )
- February 11 : Emilie von Hessen-Kassel , Princess of Taranto and Talmont († 1693 )
- March 5 : Anton Heimreich , German, Evangelical-Lutheran pastor on Nordstrand, chronicler of the Second Marcellus Flood († 1685 )
- March 12 : John Aubrey , British archaeologist († 1697 )
- May 11th : Caspar Posner , German physicist and medic († 1700 )
- May 12 : Louis Hennepin , French missionary and explorer († around 1705 )
- May 27 : Wilhelm II , Prince of Orange, Count of Vianden, Lord of Breda, Governor of Holland and Zeeland and Count of Moers († 1650 )
Second half of the year
- July 17 : Henriette Marie von der Pfalz , titular Countess Palatine and Countess of Mongatsch († 1651 )
- September 4 : Hermann Nottelmann , German educator († 1674 )
- September 9 : Josua Arnd , German theologian, historian and hymn poet († 1687 )
- September 16 : Leopold Wilhelm von Baden , Margrave of Baden († 1671 )
- October 4th : Richard Cromwell , son of Oliver Cromwell and Lord Protector of England, Scotland and Ireland († 1712 )
- October 26 : Ferdinand von Fürstenberg , Prince-Bishop of Münster and Paderborn († 1683 )
- December 17 : Christina , Queen of Sweden († 1689 )
- December 20 : Veit Ludwig von Seckendorff , German scholar and statesman († 1692 )
Exact date of birth unknown
- Christian Flor , German composer and organist († 1697 )
- Cäcilie Zeitlose Wicht , German pastor's wife, victim of the witch hunt in Idstein († 1676 )
Born around 1626
First half of the year
- February 7th : Wilhelm V , Duke of Bavaria (* 1548 )
- February 20 : John Dowland , English composer (* 1563 )
- March 8 : Balthasar von Ahlefeldt , royal councilor and magistrate of Flensburg and Rendsburg, master of Kollmar, Drage and Heiligenstedten (* 1559 )
- March 11 : Rudolf Hospinian , Swiss Protestant clergyman and theologian (* 1547 )
- March 21 : Wolfgang Schaller , German medic (* 1582 )
- April 9 : Francis Bacon , English philosopher, scientist and statesman (* 1561 )
- April 14th : Gaspare Aselli , Italian anatomist, discoverer of the intestinal lymph vessels (* around 1581 )
- May 14 : Cristoforo Roncalli , called " il Pomarancio ", Italian painter (* 1552 )
- May 16 : Christian Baum , German theologian and philologist (* 1580 )
- May 28 : Thomas Howard, 1st Earl of Suffolk , English politician (* 1561 )
- June 3 : Juan de Oñate , Spanish conquistador (* 1550 )
- June 16 : Christian von Braunschweig-Wolfenbüttel , "the great Christian", Protestant general in the Thirty Years' War (* 1599 )
Second half of the year
- July 15 : Isabella Brant , first wife and model of Peter Paul Rubens (* 1591 )
- July 19 : Elisabeth of Denmark , Duchess of Braunschweig and Lüneburg and Princess of Braunschweig-Wolfenbüttel (* 1573 )
- July 27 : Ludwig V , Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt (* 1577 )
- July 28 : Henning Dedekind , German composer (* 1562 )
- August 13 : Johannes Winckelmann , German Lutheran theologian (* 1551 )
- August 22 : Alessandro Orsini , Italian cardinal (* 1592 )
- August 25 : Zacharias Brendel the Elder , German philosopher, physicist, physician and botanist (* 1553 )
- September 17th : Johann Schweikhard von Kronberg , Archbishop and Elector of Mainz (* 1553 )
- September 25 : Lancelot Andrewes , English scholar, theologian and preacher (* 1555 )
- September 30th : Nurhaci , tribal prince of the Jurchen, unifier of the Manchu and emperor of China, founder of the Qing dynasty (* 1559 )
- October 2 : Diego Sarmiento de Acuña , Spanish diplomat (* 1567 )
- October 7 : Paul Bril , Dutch painter (* 1553 /54 )
- October 24th : Agnes Magdalene von Anhalt-Dessau , Countess of Hessen-Kassel (* 1590 )
- October 29 : Ferdinando Gonzaga , Duke of Mantua and Montferrat (* 1587 )
- October 30 : Johann Textor , German historian (* 1582 )
- October 30 : Willebrord van Roijen Snell , Dutch astronomer and mathematician (* 1580 )
- November 29th : Peter Ernst II von Mansfeld , mercenary and military leader in the Thirty Years War (* 1580 )
- December 4 : Johann Ernst I , Duke of Saxe-Weimar (* 1594 )
- December 29 : Balthasar Meisner , German Lutheran theologian and ethicist (* 1587 )
Exact date of death unknown
- between February and April: Fabrizio Santafede , Neapolitan painter (* approx. 1555 )
- Malik Ambar , Peshwa of Ahmadnagar (* 1549 )
- Samuel Purchas , English clergyman and editor of travel literature (* 1577 )