Calendar overview 1625
Christian IV of Denmark
intervenes on the Protestant side
in the war .
Albrecht von Wallenstein did the same on the imperial side .
Ambrosio Spinola conquers the Dutch city of Breda after nine months of siege
in the Eighty Years War .
|1625 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||1073/74 (turn of the year July)|
|Ethiopian calendar||1617/18 (10/11 September)|
|Bengali solar calendar||1030/31 (beginning of April 14th or 15th)|
|Buddhist calendar||2168/69 (southern Buddhism); 2167/68 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||72nd (73rd) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||987/988 (turn of the year April)|
|Dangun era (Korea)||3958/59 (October 2/3)|
|Islamic calendar||1034/35 (turn of the year 2nd / 3rd October)|
|Jewish calendar||5385/86 (September 1-2)|
|Coptic calendar||1341/42 (September 10-11)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1935/36 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1936/37 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1681/82 (April)|
Politics and world events
Holy Roman Empire
- March 20 : Christian IV of Denmark tries successfully to elect the colonel of the Lower Saxon Empire and intervenes in the Thirty Years War. The Danish-Lower Saxon war begins.
- April 17 : In the electorate of Bavaria is Revisorium set against which no appeal possible is.
- May: When a Catholic priest is installed in Frankenburg in Upper Austria , the Protestant population rebelled. The siege of Schloss Frankenburg was abandoned three days after the rebels had been assured of mercy.
- May 15 : The " Frankenburger dice game ", in which 36 alleged ringleaders of the Franconian uprising have to throw each other for their lives, marks the beginning of the Upper Austrian Peasants' War in the following year .
- During the Thirty Years' War , the city of Breda is captured on June 2nd by the Spanish general Ambrosio Spinola after nine months of siege .
- July 25th : Albrecht Wallenstein , Duke of Friedland is appointed Field Marshal and Generalissimo by the Kaiser and commissioned with the formation of an army.
- August 19 : East Frisia at the time of the Thirty Years War : After the death of Enno III. becomes his son Rudolf Christian Graf von Ostfriesland .
- September 21 : The imperial under Pappenheim defeat the French and Venetians in the battle of Verceia .
- December 19 : At the initiative of exiled Palatine Elector Friedrich V include several Protestant imperial estates in The Hague against the Habsburgs directed Hague alliance with Denmark , England and the United Netherlands .
England / Netherlands / Spain
- March 27th : With the death of Jacob I , his son Charles I becomes the new king in England, Scotland and Ireland. In the same year the new King Henrietta marries Maria of France , daughter of Henri IV and Maria de 'Medici .
- September 18: The Kingdom of England signs the Treaty of Southampton with the Republic of the Seven United Provinces, under which both sides undertake a joint expedition against Spain . The Netherlands is to provide 22 warships for this and with 25 other ships to keep the pirates in Dunkirk, Spain in check, while England is to send its main forces into Spanish waters. The fleet leaves Plymouth on October 8th under the command of Edward Cecil, 1st Viscount Wimbledon . After major difficulties, she reached Cadiz on November 1st . However, the attack on the city turns into a disaster.
- October 25 : In the Dutch-Portuguese War , the Dutch West India Company tries for the fifth time after 1596 , 1603 , 1606 and 1615 to conquer the Fort São Jorge da Mina , which protects the city of Elmina , in order to gain control of the Portuguese Gold Coast . In the battle for Elmina , the Dutch are crushed by the Portuguese .
- Friedrich Ulrich , Duke of Braunschweig and Lüneburg , Prince of Braunschweig-Wolfenbüttel , has the Jacob's Redeemer , a foam coin made of pure gold, minted.
science and technology
- Johann Rudolph Glauber discovers the medicinal effects and production of sodium sulphate , which is also called Glauber's salt after him.
- The Swedish warship Vasa is built.
- Rembrandt van Rijn completed one of his first works: The stoning of St. Stephen .
- around 1625: The first Lubki are built in the Ukraine .
- February 2 : In the Villa del Poggio Imperiale in Florence which takes place premiere of the opera La Liberazione di Ruggiero dall'isola d'Alcina ( Liberation Ruggiero from the island of Alcina ) by Francesca Caccini with a libretto by Ferdinando Saracinelli after an episode from Ludovico Ariostus Versepos Orlando furioso . The work is considered to be the oldest opera composed by a woman.
- The emigrated Scot James Shaw built Ballygally Castle in northern Ireland .
- February 26th : A severe storm surge known as Mardi Gras floods the Baltic Sea . In Stralsund , it caused considerable damage.
- Summer: The plague breaks out in London, killing more than 30,000 people.
Historical maps and views
January to September
- June 8th : Giovanni Domenico Cassini , French astronomer and mathematician of Italian origin († 1712 )
- June 17 : Peder Hansen Resen , Danish lawyer and historian († 1688 )
- June 29 : Matthias Wasmuth , German orientalist and Lutheran theologian († 1688 )
- August 10 : Johann Deutschmann , German Lutheran theologian († 1706 )
- August 20 : Thomas Corneille , dramatic poet and the brother of Pierre Corneille († 1709 )
- September 5 : Karl II. Otto , Duke and Count Palatine of Birkenfeld († 1671 )
- September 23 : Ferdinand Maximilian von Baden-Baden , potential Margrave of Baden († 1669 )
October to December
- October 4 : Jacqueline Pascal , French writer and nun († 1661 )
- October 5 : Eduard von der Pfalz , Prince of the Palatinate († 1663 )
- October 10 : Erik Dahlberg , Swedish field marshal, fortress builder and architect († 1703 )
- October 19 : Johann Andreas Lucius , German Lutheran theologian († 1686 )
- November 1 : Oliver Plunkett , Archbishop of Armagh and Primate of Ireland († 1681 )
- November 19 : Johann Jacob Saar , German navigator and author († 1664 )
- November 23 : Jacob Lüdecke , German lawyer and bailiff († 1696 )
- December 3 : Jack Adams , English astrologer († probably around 1680 / 1700 )
- December 10 : Melchior Barthel , German sculptor († 1672 )
- December 24th : Johann Rudolph Ahle , German composer, organist, poet, Protestant church musician († 1673 )
- December 28 : Johann Christoph Arnschwanger , German hymn poet († 1696 )
Exact date of birth unknown
- Père Anselme de la Vierge Marie , French historian, genealogist and heraldist († 1694 )
- Hieronymus Galle , Flemish painter († after 1679)
- Johann Georg Melchior Schmidtner , German painter († after 1707)
Born around 1625
- Hans Jakob Christoffel von Grimmelshausen , author of the novel The adventurous Simplicissimus († 1676 )
First half of the year
- January 5th : Simon Marius , German astronomer (* 1573 )
- January 13 : Jan Brueghel the Elder , Flemish painter (* 1568 )
- January 21 : Christoph Neander , Kreuzkantor in Dresden (* 1589 )
- January 27 : Adrianus Valerius , Dutch poet and collector of Geusen songs (* 1570 )
- February 6 : Philipp Julius of Pomerania , last Duke of Pommern-Wolgast (* 1584 )
- February 26 : Anna Wasa , Swedish princess (* 1568 )
- March 2nd : James Hamilton, 2nd Marquess of Hamilton , Scottish nobleman (* 1589 )
- March 7th : Johann Bayer , German astronomer (* 1572 )
- April 23 : Moritz of Orange , governor and captain general of the land and naval forces of the United Netherlands (* 1567 )
- April 23 : Juan de Ruela , Flemish painter (* around 1570 )
- May 6 : Pietro Antonio Novelli , Sicilian painter (* 1568 )
- June 1 : Honoré d'Urfé , French writer (* 1567 )
- June 6 : Anna Maria , Princess of Liechtenstein, Duchess of Troppau and Duchess of Jägerndorf (* 1575 )
Second half of the year
- August 14 : Hans Rottenhammer , German early Baroque painter (* 1564 )
- August 19 : Enno III. , Count of East Friesland (* 1563 )
- August 30 : Anna , Electress of Brandenburg (* 1576 )
- September 7th : Rombout Hogerbeets , Dutch statesman (* 1561 )
- September 13 : Franz II Batthyány , Hungarian magnate (* 1577 )
- September 19 : Eitel Friedrich von Hohenzollern , Bishop of Osnabrück (* 1582 )
- October 24th : Friedrich , Duke of Saxony-Altenburg and Jülich-Kleve-Berg (* 1599 )
- November 16 : Sofonisba Anguissola , Italian painter of the Renaissance (* around 1531 / 1532 )
- November 17 : Jakob Henot , postal organizer and postmaster in Cologne (* around 1545 )
- November 19 : Count Johann Reinhard I of Hanau-Lichtenberg , Count of Hanau-Lichtenberg (* 1569 )
- December 8 : Christine von Schleswig-Holstein-Gottorf , Queen of Sweden (* 1573 )
- December 11th : Johann Friedrich Schröter , German medic (* 1559 )
- December 19 : Dorothea Augusta von Braunschweig-Wolfenbüttel , Abbess of the Gandersheim Monastery (* 1577 )
Exact date of death unknown
- June: Christoph von Lehndorf , Anhalt court official
- August: John Fletcher , English playwright (* 1579 )
- Georg V von Angelach-Angelach , German Vogt
- Jean-Baptiste Besard , French lawyer, lutenist and composer (* around 1567)
- John Florio , English translator and scholar (* 1553 )
- Thomas Thynne , English politician (* before 1566)